HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How is the French Media Taking the Changes?

Old
07-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Steveshutt

vCash: 500
How is the French Media Taking the Changes?

Hi guys:

My French is awful and I'm wondering if someone could summarize the French media's response to the changes? A dearth of Francophones on the team and they let Tanguay go without bringing Beauchemin or Laperriere in.

I think Gainey has done a masterful job not just in player personnel but also in how players seem to perceive playing in Montreal. In years past guys like Cammy and Gionta wouldn't have signed here and getting Gomez was the catalyst for all this. Also, if he had re-signed the Komi's and the Kovy's he'd be sending the message that last year's horrible effort was acceptable. By not re-signing these guys again he's sending the message that it's a privilege to play in Montreal whereas for the last few years its been obvious to me that we've had to beg players to play here which is one of the reasons why we got such lousy efforts.

He's re-built a core in their prime without giving up too much of their youth....

Steveshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Mustafa*

They all hate the Gomez trade the rest is accepted as a god overral move, everybody would like Bob to add size.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:46 AM
ReVeuF

Francos are frustrated, many are disappointed... well everything Gainey will do will disappoint them anyway.

They hated the Hall Gill signing on top of all.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Pascal

most of the casual fans will think "wow we signed players for big money they must be good! go Bob!"

the casual french fan probably thinks "What about Beauchemin? Tanguay? Briere??? Lecavalier???"

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:49 AM
havok78

...A lot like here actually, the Franco debate is on of course, but besides that no too much of a witch hunt...yet...

havok78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Lot of skepticism is what i sensed from the media last night.

For once i can;t really blame them since i'm very skeptic myself.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WestIslander

Chapeau a Bob et Chapeau a Le Canadiens D`Aujourdhui

=

Hats off to Bob and The Montreal Canadiens today

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Well I am surprised to see that most think it's not that bad after all. Even Michel Bergeron and Gaston Therrien. Of course they end their interview with "I can't believe there's just 3 francos", but aside from that, they are probably more relieved that Koivu is gone....

But all in all, they respect what Bob did. But then nobody will understand the Gill acquisition.

So nice acquisitions, but where is the french content. It had to be expected though.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:53 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Francos are frustrated, many are disappointed... well everything Gainey will do will disappoint them anyway.

[IMG]http://www.****************/file_thumbview_approve/3375291/2/istockphoto_3375291-dancing-with-joy.jpg[/IMG]

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:53 AM
la25ecoupe

Begin to Bruins. So they can stop saying Begin has CH tattoed to his heart.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Habanero514

CKAC and RDS wanted quebecers but the quebecers aren't willing to come here!

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

But all in all, they respect what Bob did. But then nobody will understand the Gill acquisition.
That's because there is nothing to understand. I'm looking at UFA D list right now and i can't believe that Bob picked Hal Gill out of all these guys. There are so many better choices that it's not even funny and we could have had those guys for about the same money or maybe even lower.

I'm still going to give Gill a chance but will probably never understand the move even if he plays OK.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Treal

French Media says: No More Saku!!!!

Treal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Some like it, while others are curled up in a fetal position sucking their thumbs.

Clumsyhab

Quote:

Hal Gill in french is Allll Gill. No "H".

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:02 PM
DrMailloux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
They all hate the Gomez trade the rest is accepted as a god overral move, everybody would like Bob to add size.
Honestly thats not what i saw, the journalist have been very positive about evrything, and defended Bob, they are not that sold on Gill tho. On the other hand, fans, myself included we were pissed about the Gomez trade but looks like Gainey saved the day with Gi and Camy

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Cupmonger

Here is how French media works here:
Step 1- Is newly signed player French Canadian? yes, go to step2a; no, go to step 2b
Step 2a- How much overpaid is he? Is he over twice as much as he used, "Meh Bob Gainey, meh"; under twice the value of his previous contract "GOOD JOB!"
Step 2b- is he paid less than half of the value in his last contract? "Meh Bob Gainey, meh" if yes; if not "Gainey, WTF, YOU SUCK! LEARN 2 GET MORE FRENCH CANADIANS RAWR!!!!!!111!!1!1!!!!"

French media is mostly based on rating and they only want to provoke people (sheep) to get good ratings. Sadly it works and that's why you get a crowd that boos the team on the very last day and why 98% are never happy with anything that happens with the team.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
twenty7

on ckac yesterday they asked the fans if they liked bob gainey's move

majority of the fans didnt like it because they are nationalist
thinking that adding quebecers ( like pittsburgh ) to the roster will only make this team a contender for the cup

twenty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Steveshutt

I was very impressed with Gill in the finals against Detroit. Having him in front of Price should give Carey confidence.

Gill plus Spacek is better at this point than just Komi.

Also it makes sense to target American players because they grew up in the shadows of all other athletes in the U.S. and would therefore probably welcome the chance to be rock stars in Montreal.

Steveshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treal View Post
French Media says: No More Saku!!!!

yea and wait til they name Gomez the new captain. An American with hispanic descent who doesn't speak French. They'll scream, cry and whine for 5 yrs.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:09 PM
The Goalie Mask

Not signing any of our own UFAs deffinately sends a message to the our UFAs and more importantly to the rest of the NHL...

The messages - last year performance by our team wasn't acceptable for the Montreal Canadien organization especially with all our tradition and 100th anniversary!

Hence - no signings of our UFAs!

Great message by Gainey!

The Goalie Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:12 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Foul b*tching as per usual. Thankfully most of them are pretty old and overweight and will probably be close to dead before Gomez's contract is up.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Puckhead58*

WHO CARES WHAT THE FRENCH MEDIA THINKS??????

They are going to post false articles whether they like our new signings or not and they are going to complain because we don't have a dressing room full of Quebecois players. The language players speak or where they come from has absolutely nothing to do with building a winning hockey team. If we have to sign 15 players from Africa because they are the best hockey players available....then thats what I want to happen. Signing French Canadian players isn't going to lead us to the Stanley Cup, signing the best players available dispite where they come from IS the best direction to go in terms of winning a cup.

If people can't handle that cold hard truth....then thats too damn bad about them!!! This isn't the 50's, 60's or 70's where the best players in the league were from Quebec. Get with the times and drop the ego.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Habanero514

The french media will be mad even more of the next captain and A aren't quebecers.

Ex : Markov (C)
Gomez (A)
Hamrlik(A)

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

I actually wanted Hal Gill to sign here. 6'7 250lbs, he's a huge body to have in our back end. I also feel O'Byrne will benefit a lot from playing under Jacques Martin because he'll actually get to learn some things. Likewise for pretty much all our Ds.

Already made a bet with my buddy saying O'Byrne will be the player improving the most from last year to this one.

If what I had in mind does happen, than O'Byrne+Gil>>>>Komisarek.
Also, I expect Hamrlik to have a bounce back season. To live up to his reputation, he always had one good year and one bad one. So, time for the good one!

Gorges will keep improving I'm convinced and so will Markov.
Spacek is another good puck moving D with a good shot and I'm very satisfied with him. 45pts last year on a team that had as good an offense as ours is pretty respectable.

We still have a bit of cap room, although our RFA needs to be signed, but maybe adding another D is still not out of the question.

French media probably expected Lecavalier, Beauchemin, Tanguay and maybe even St-Louis to all come here. So they'll obviously be disappointed.
If we have a good season where all our new additions play well, they'll say ''Pas fou le Gainey''..or ''Le pari de Gainey a marché!''.
If they don't perform, it'll be the same old rant about Gainey sucking.

Can't expect anything else from the French Media.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote