HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Moves Discussion Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2009, 12:36 PM
MastersAndCPA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I'm not buying this one...at all.

I tend to agree, although Ovechkin loves Kovalev(or did before the All-Star game). I could see Ovy pushing for him.

One thing this team could really use is a left-handed finisher. Every left shooting player is/has been a pass first guy(I don't consider Laich a legit goal scorer). Kovalev on this PP would likely put up ridiculous numbers with the time and space he'd have.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:37 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey442 View Post
He who should not be named just posted that Kovalev might be Washington bound. Wouldn't mind it, but does it really make sense?

Assuming they put Brooksy / Nyls at #2 center ... I guess that opens up a spot on the wing but I'm not quite sure this is all that practical.

Thoughts?
Even at a discount rate -- say $4m per -- it doesn't make any sense. We already have our 4 top-6 wingers now. Flash is far from great, but he's serviceable and cheap. We need a center if we need anything up front. The only way signing Kovalev makes sense is if a Semin trade is on the horizon. And I'm seriously doubting GMGM is going to be that aggressive, even if the idea has some merit.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:37 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'd like to see more North-South on the team. There's plenty of East-West.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:38 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
For the next dozen years, every available Russian will be rumored to come here. We should already be used to it, as it's been going on a few years already now. It means nothing.
This.

Next year, I guarantee there will be rumors of Volchenkov, Kovalchuk, Frolov, and Kozlov to the Caps. I actually think Volchenkov would be a great fit, but that's another discussion. He actually wouldn't be a half-bad trade target.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Call a spade a spade... they need more Canadians in the fold, especially of the upper echelon variety. Balance is good.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:40 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
This.

Next year, I guarantee there will be rumors of Volchenkov, Kovalchuk, Frolov, and Kozlov to the Caps. I actually think Volchenkov would be a great fit, but that's another discussion. He actually wouldn't be a half-bad trade target.
Ottawa will want an arm and a leg now, though the price might come down a bit by the deadline. Still, he'll be one of the three or four biggest "fish" at the deadline if he is moved at all.

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Call a spade a spade... they need more Canadians in the fold, especially of the upper echelon variety. Balance is good.
On that note, Mike Peca and Marty Reasoner wouldn't be bad additions if there is some trade movement that opens up slots in the bottom 6.

Old
Xaroc

I am not a huge Kovalev fan because of his mercurial nature. However, does anyone think that he might do well here due to the fact he wouldn't have to be The Man like he did in Montreal?

Old
07-02-2009, 12:41 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Knuble is a great character guy and a hard worker. You guys will like him. He's the east's Holmstrom for screening goalies on the PP. Good PKer, can hold his own defensively 5 on 5.

Faults: Kind of slow, and he "Knubles" powerplays a lot. when a Poweplay is "Knubled" it means very early on in the powerplay he'll take a stupid offensive zone penalty causing 4 on 4.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:43 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Teams don't trade for guys making decent coin who just missed that much time with concussion-related symptoms. The market for Pothier would have been, and likely still is, non-existent. He's going to need to play a season without symptoms for it to be a non-issue. He makes a lot of money for even a healthy #5, much less a #5 with a concussion cloud over his head.

Paying players not to play just isn't realistic, billionaires or not. There are a few precedents, but it's quite rare, and that is probably a good thing.

The team's best bet is likely to watch the youngsters improve with another year of experience, and the guys coming off injury showing marked improvement. With luck, Pothier/Clark shake off the cobwebs and are contributing members of society this year. Fortunately, Pothier is gone in July 2010.

Nylander... yeah, I've got nothing there.
Assuming you are right and he is currently untradeable (which I understand that thesis as most probable)

Sunk cost of Pots would be $ = $1.25M + $1.25M x X/180(ish) with x = number of days with Caps before claimed. The negative of the variable term is the other team who acquires him (which could be 1; .5 is reasonable ie Jan; ~.2 equals his buyout number).

Geek alert: You could easily make a monte carlo simulation on this equation to determine probability given the historical input data of player's claimed verse X. Though this is not perfect as there are still many other variables including salary cap years, Pots' salary, injury, etc but every waived guy has some red flag. Always uncertainties in risk analysis.

Where that variable term actually ends up depends on many factors and Ted would have to agree to pay the worst-case 2.5.

A flaw in my logic though may be helpful from someone like sk8. If reclaimed and we pay half of Pots salary at NHL level, does that salary count against our cap or the acquiring teams? I believe the remaining cap hit is 100% the acquiring team, which affects the variable.

And of course there's always the buyout option for Pots but no one wants dead space next year and I do believe Pots has value > 1M saved if he was bought out. Value being as an injury recall if not claimed and helping Hershey.

They paid a lot of guys on LTIR like Pots and Clark not to play last year though.

All that said I still believe the risk would be worth it to the overall effectiveness of the team this year and beyond and would be a sound business investment even at 2.5M.

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaroc View Post
I am not a huge Kovalev fan because of his mercurial nature. However, does anyone think that he might do well here due to the fact he wouldn't have to be The Man like he did in Montreal?
I think Kovy would be very productive here. By all accounts, the Caps have a very good lockerroom, and he'd have zero pressure.

That being said, unless its really on the cheap(which I don't expect it to be), he's not really a worthwhile addition.

Old
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Faults: Kind of slow, and he "Knubles" powerplays a lot. when a Poweplay is "Knubled" it means very early on in the powerplay he'll take a stupid offensive zone penalty causing 4 on 4.
Ah, so "Knubled" is Philadelphian for "Semin-ed".

Old
07-02-2009, 12:45 PM
init2winit

Not sure how much cap room the Pens have for wingers, but they haven't re-signed Satan or Fedotenko and don't have a winger to replace Fedotenko on Malkin's line, correct? I think Kovalev would love to play with Malkin first and foremost, so I think we would have to overpay what Pittsburgh would to get him to come here and I don't think I want him at that price unless he can switch to center

Old
07-02-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Knuble is a great character guy and a hard worker. You guys will like him. He's the east's Holmstrom for screening goalies on the PP. Good PKer, can hold his own defensively 5 on 5.

ie: Alex Semin? We don't need two of those, so hopefully he'll stay mild-mannered.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:47 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

So, any ideas of defenseman/center realistic trade targets? That's very likely the only way we see more roster movement this summer.

OT: We're about to kill this thread in 2 days. Good show.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:48 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

If they sign Kovalev I'm going off the reservation.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:49 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I will say...I don't buy the rumor and don't see it happening...

but...

If Pittsburgh is really trying to sign him...and the Caps swoop in and get a deal done...well...that would pretty much rule.

Salary cap be dammed!

Old
07-02-2009, 12:50 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
So, any ideas of defenseman/center realistic trade targets? That's very likely the only way we see more roster movement this summer.
Before we all identify who we would get back in a trade, I think you have to set the premises for who we're shopping (and/or willing to dump or buyout) because we obviously need to ship equal or great salary out than we take in.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:50 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:

but...

If Pittsburgh is really trying to sign him...and the Caps swoop in and get a deal done...well...that would pretty much rule.

Salary cap be dammed!
Sign him and send him to Hershey!

Eat THAT, Pens!

Old
07-02-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Before we all identify who we would get back in a trade, I think you have to set the premises for who we're shopping (and/or willing to dump or buyout) because we obviously need to ship equal or great salary out than we take in.
Good point.

Fehr? Mo? Jurcina? Theo? Nyls? Bourque?

Old
07-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
If they sign Kovalev I'm going off the reservation.
I wouldn't mind a 1 year deal at 2 million per.

It'll never happen, but I wouldn't be upset.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:52 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Ah, so "Knubled" is Philadelphian for "Semin-ed".

Well though adding Kovalev adds the LH needed to run the overload PP from the right sideboards with Backstrom and Knuble down the middle. Moves Semin to the 2nd PP unit with ???? (unknown RH shooter) and Laich down the middle.

Of course the Dmen spots on that 2nd unit are non-existent.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:53 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I wouldn't mind a 1 year deal at 2 million per.

It'll never happen, but I wouldn't be upset.
well yea and monkeys may fly out of my butt too but I was thinking what is probably realistic.

I'd be okay with a Guerin contract for Kovy

Old
07-02-2009, 12:56 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Well, I think there's 5 established NHL guys that aren't going anywhere unless it's for an elite player:

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, Semin, Laich

Beyond that, these prospects are likely in the same boat:

Alzner, Varlamov, Carlson, Neuvirth

I'd imagine anyone else is available for the right price.

If GMGM were to go after a Volchenkov, Tallinder, Lydman, or Hamhuis, each have under a $3 million cap hit, so the moving out of salary wouldn't be that big of a deal, especially if Mo goes the other way.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:

but...

Salary cap be dammed!
Exactly. What does Pittsburgh need each year? They need to find bargains to fill out the wings, on one- and two-year contracts, complementary options to fill out the roster around the established core. Grab some of those bargain wingers and you limit their options.

Knuble also had interest from Dean Lombardi in LA, and that was a direct quote from an interview that Lombardi conducted yesterday. Knuble to the Caps was a real coup.

Closed Thread