HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ilkka Pikkarainen returns to Devils

Old
07-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
OMG. We signed a 4th liner. The world is ending.

Grab a damn beer and relax. It is July 2nd.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:32 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
but plenty of Ranger fans have no problem hurling judgment at him. hate hate hate

That Parise contract trumps any of his mistakes by a lot.

where is JA? He's all about insulting when Lou Lam's does something questionable.
Gotta admit the Parise contract may be one of the better gets in the league right now.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:35 AM
4rde

Its a one way contract

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:43 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by School View Post
i bet you he would of signed for 4 mil again. how can you say that our second line and a non producing center in zubrus. Give gionta someone that can put the puck on net with some power from the point and he will destroy. He scores off rebounds almost every goal scored when he had 48 was from about 3 feet out..
Well, Elias seemed to have no problem getting 31 goals and 78 points in 77 games with the same line mates and ice time. I can't imagine why Gionta would have such a tough time.

And now he's going to an even smaller team where he'll get pushed around more than he was here.

Quote:
yeah and rolston is worth 5mill right.
When he has a coach who doesn't put him with a shutdown centerman and a 40 year old winger, yeah.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:30 PM
ADD-devil950003

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Gotta admit the Parise contract may be one of the better gets in the league right now.
The Paul Martin(3.8per) contract looks very very good also.

ADD-devil950003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:00 PM
MisterT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
We have a select few on the Dallas boards that think Niskanen, Grossman, Sydor, Daley, Hutchinson, Robidas are a top D core. Granted if Zubov comes back i don't think he will be that effective given his injuries. Big Joe decides to let 99% of the top D available go without attempting to grab them. I guess we could look on the bright side...Witt is still available...

Although I understand your pain while you watch competitors get better, Dallas will be close to the salary floor this season as Tom Hickes has this small cash flow problem. Just hope he manages to sell his share of Liverpool or else Dallas will suffer for years or until a new owner is found. Joe has his hands tied right now and was brought in because of his connections to the NCAA and his success this past season in signing Bozak, Hanson and Slaney on behalf of the Leafs.

Be patient, he'll be better than Hull/Armstrong.

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
I was intrigued by Pikkarainen when the Devils originally had him, and am intrigued yet again. Like the size/skill combo. Should be an effective checker.

The Devils have to give these young guys a shot sooner or later. We can't just keep throwing money around to free agents every year. What's the point in drafting players if your never going to give them a chance? Lou's finally going to give them a shot, and if it doesn't work out, he'll react accordingly. See what the system has to offer.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Wow I hate so much of HF boards.

If a team doesn't make a big splash on the first day of free agency they're castigated by fans and rivals alike. Because, after all, unrestricted free agency has alsways proven to be a good barometer of Stanley Cup Playoff success.

Get real people. Half the contracts that were handed out yesterday will look horrible in two years time.
its not just one day, he had the trade deadline, and countless other opportunities to get a PMD and a second line center but lou decides to get more aging guys who play wing or are defensive D's

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Primakov!

It's kind of interesting and at the same time odd to read the difference in opinion involving the Devils fans in this thread because a lot of the issues, points, and counter-points being discussed are identical to what's being discussed amongst Kings fans. If you substituted "Lou" for "Dean" I'd swear I walked into a Kings thread.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:48 PM
XParise9X

Send a message via AIM to XParise9X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
I was intrigued by Pikkarainen when the Devils originally had him, and am intrigued yet again. Like the size/skill combo. Should be an effective checker.

The Devils have to give these young guys a shot sooner or later. We can't just keep throwing money around to free agents every year. What's the point in drafting players if your never going to give them a chance? Lou's finally going to give them a shot, and if it doesn't work out, he'll react accordingly. See what the system has to offer.
thank you, this is exactly what i've been trying to explain to my friends alll day. The devils last season were an older team that couldn't be bothered to play the last 5 minutes of any game and it cost us game 7 and others. Getting younger is by far a GOOD thing. Imagine if we'd never given Parise a chance and justet him rot in the minors? We still have our top line intact once Zajac is signed. Our second line still has Elias, we can finally give Rolston a chance and i'd honestly like to through Clarkson up there and see what he can do with them (he plays so much harder every game then Zubrus) and ok our bottom lines will be new players but atleast we're giving them a chance AND wont have to lose half the team if the cap drops next fall.

Lou has made some mistakes but I don't think this is one of them

XParise9X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:57 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
It's kind of interesting and at the same time odd to read the difference in opinion involving the Devils fans in this thread because a lot of the issues, points, and counter-points being discussed are identical to what's being discussed amongst Kings fans. If you substituted "Lou" for "Dean" I'd swear I walked into a Kings thread.
Situations are different. The Devils have one of the best goaltenders of all time for another three more years and don't want to waste him.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Situations are different. The Devils have one of the best goaltenders of all time for another three more years and don't want to waste him.
Situations might be different, yes, but the key point for me that stuck out was that rhetoric is eerily similar right down to having some of the exact same arguments and retorts.

There are a vocal minority amongst Kings fans who believe that only the Kings have these types of issues because of specifics related to their organization, general manager, or ownership and that the winning teams in the league just don't experience it.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:28 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
losing gionta is a big deal im sorry. its alway garbage to all you other devils fans if we signed havlet you all would be up on his high horse. im a realist our whole division has gotten stronger and we have not..
so, you think they should have added $11M to their cap for 5 years. which would put them at the cap right now. without a full roster. without a way to re-up Martin. without a way to re-up Parise.

that's why they don't let kids be GM's.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by XParise9X View Post
thank you, this is exactly what i've been trying to explain to my friends alll day. The devils last season were an older team that couldn't be bothered to play the last 5 minutes of any game and it cost us game 7 and others. Getting younger is by far a GOOD thing. Imagine if we'd never given Parise a chance and justet him rot in the minors? We still have our top line intact once Zajac is signed. Our second line still has Elias, we can finally give Rolston a chance and i'd honestly like to through Clarkson up there and see what he can do with them (he plays so much harder every game then Zubrus) and ok our bottom lines will be new players but atleast we're giving them a chance AND wont have to lose half the team if the cap drops next fall.

Lou has made some mistakes but I don't think this is one of them
We still have a solid foundation of players here, and they fill the more significant roles on the team, so there's no pressure on the young kids to come in and put up huge numbers.

And I think people are under-estimating Rolston's presence on the team. He was signed last year to play in the Top 6, and unfortunately, that ankle injury kind of ruined his season. He never got a chance to play much in that role once he came back because Sutter liked the way his line chemistry was. Lou didn't sign him to play him on the third line. He'll be given every opportunity to play on the second line, and given his past production, I'm willing to bet he bounces back in a big way next year.

We have a top notch first line, and the ingredients for a solid second line. I can't wait to see what Bergfors does with his opportunity. Then we can mix and match guys like Pelley, Halischuk, Pikkarainen, PL3, etc with the guys we already have here for the bottom six. The defence looks like it's not going to be too different from last year, and while it's not spectacular, it's capable of getting the job done. And I'm sure guys like Corrente and Eckford will be pushing for a spot too.

I know not every Devils fan is on board with Lou's fresh approach to this up-coming season, but I'm really looking forward to see some fresh blood in the line-up.

Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 03:57 PM
NJDFan4Life

what are the devils gonna do for ufa

can anybody here tell me what the devils are doing not signing any ufa yet like what are they doing by the time they go to sign someone they will all be gone tell who you think or could see them signing hopefully this summer

NJDFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Marty30

Look for Shanny to be resigned, and maybe a UFA defenseman, and thats about it.

And about this signing......

Marty30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:05 PM
MoonDragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieharddevilsfan30 View Post
can anybody here tell me what the devils are doing not signing any ufa yet like what are they doing by the time they go to sign someone they will all be gone tell who you think or could see them signing hopefully this summer
We are pretending we're the Detroit Red wings... Look we even drafted a bunch of Swedes recently.

MoonDragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:15 PM
NJDFan4Life

devils

shanny i would not mind back but what ufa defenseman do you think the devils will sign let me know who oh and i also heard kovalev was offered a contract by the devils no link yet

NJDFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Professor Dangles

Lou did say that he was going to sign a FA currently playing in Europe. I never guessed it would be Pikkarainen.

Professor Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Panopticon

Pikkarainen isn't really that tough. I mean, he often throws some good hits, but he's not a fighter. Not just that he's not good at it, he also turtles a lot. I think he was voted as the most hated player in the SM-liiga if I remember correctly. The papers at least refer to him as such...

He's a bit hot headed, and sometimes loses it completely. It is entertaining, though... Here's one example of a situation where he gets a game misconduct and a match penalty (other one for spearing, the other for roughing):

Why the linesmen let him go after the guy after the situation was already over is beyond me, though...

Last edited by Panopticon: 07-02-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

I guess the Devils have an answer for Pronger afterall.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
I guess the Devils have an answer for Pronger afterall.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote