HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free agent talk

Old
07-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
We are at $41 million ish with signing Jones, Pihlstrom, and O'Reilly to small price increases and Wilson and Hornqvist in Milwaukee.

We won't spend past $46 million as we cannot spend past the mid point (48) and we have to leave room for call ups. That leaves us around $1.5-2.5 million for a defenseman and that is all we will sign according to Poile.

Which puts us a bit over the floor and with next season likely to be a terrible attendance season, we will struggle to make money.

I agree.. we won't sign a forward because we cannot afford one unless we see Hamhuis or Ellis traded. And then we still have to pay someone else.

I don't think Poile is bluffing.
While I agree Hornqvist and Wilson should be in Milwaukee, we need a 23 man roster. You are forgetting scratches get paid, too.

I don't see anything wrong with my calculations.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
While I agree Hornqvist and Wilson should be in Milwaukee, we need a 23 man roster. You are forgetting scratches get paid, too.

I don't see anything wrong with my calculations.
And there is nothing wrong with my calculations either. How am I forgetting scratches get paid too?

I'm saying that I think Wilson will be in Milwaukee; just because he is signed doesn't mean he will be on the big club. Same thing with Hornqvist.. unless I'm missing a one way deal somewhere.

Wilson won't be scratched in Nashville. He'll either be taking up a roster spot or in Milwaukee. You can't scratch him and hurt his development. Plus that is an expensive scratch.

The sad thing is I'm agreeing with you about us not getting a forward.

Lighten up. I wasn't even quoting you.

Counting two grinder scratches or with Hornqvist / Grinder scratched, we're looking at $42ish million. Leaves us with around $1.5 to sign a defenseman and call it a season.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:44 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
I don't think Poile is bluffing.
I don't think Poile is going to have a job if he continues to not address the scoring need that we have, unless Freeman is pulling his funding.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
And there is nothing wrong with my calculations either. How am I forgetting scratches get paid too?

I'm saying that I think Wilson will be in Milwaukee; just because he is signed doesn't mean he will be on the big club. Same thing with Hornqvist.. unless I'm missing a one way deal somewhere.

Wilson won't be scratched in Nashville. He'll either be taking up a roster spot or in Milwaukee. You can't scratch him and hurt his development. Plus that is an expensive scratch.

The sad thing is I'm agreeing with you about us not getting a forward.

Lighten up. I wasn't even quoting you.

Counting two grinder scratches or with Hornqvist / Grinder scratched, we're looking at $42ish million. Leaves us with around $1.5 to sign a defenseman and call it a season.
lol, I didn't know I was being heavy

What I said didn't come out right. What I mean is, if Hornqvist and Wilson are in Milwaukee (which they should), then who are the #22 and #23 players on our roster?

How did you get $42M? I'm just trying to get my numbers straight. I keep getting $44M + a FA dman

Old
07-02-2009, 01:27 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I don't think Poile is going to have a job if he continues to not address the scoring need that we have, unless Freeman is pulling his funding.
I think you hit the nail on the head. From what I can tell, this ownership group is unwilling\unable to operate in any scenario that sees them lose ANY money. If my suspicions are correct, Poile's budget is likely just above the floor. Factor in that attendance is expected to drop leaguewide this season..probably even more so here in Nashville where the "we're moving to Hamilton!!!" scare has started to wear off and we're coming off a bad season with potentially something even worse in front of us...times might not be great for the Predators the next couple of seasons.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:15 PM
DManPreds11

Poile is GARBAGE, time for him to go along with his non-system/neck having coach. How do you miss any details during free agency. If he's going to miscommunicate on a player that's been here for 4 years wanting to resign, you can imagine on the level of miscommunication from other players around the league. Pitiful!

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Jarnberg

We encourage copying and pasting capgeek.com's generated results on message boards and blogs, but we hope you will consider leaving mention of capgeek.com when you do so. A link back is even better. This will help capgeek.com stay alive and grow.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Martin Erat ($4.5m) / Jason Arnott ($4.5m) / David Legwand ($4.5m)
J.P. Dumont ($4.0m) / Steve Sullivan ($3.8m) / Joel Ward ($1.5m)
* Ryan Jones ($1.1m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.0m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.8m)
Patric Hornqvist ($0.7m) / * Antti Pihlstrom ($0.7m) / * Cal O'Reilly ($0.7m)
DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($4.5m) / Ryan Suter ($3.5m)
Dan Hamhuis ($2.0m) / Wade Belak ($0.7m)
Kevin Klein ($0.7m) / Alexander Sulzer ($0.7m)
GOALTENDERS
Dan Ellis ($1.8m) / Pekka Rinne ($0.7m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 20; PAYROLL: $42.1m; CAP ROOM: $14.7m

Obviously put Belak up with the forwards.

I added Hornqvist to the list.

So that is 42.1 before another grinder / person to get scratched and before another defenseman.

Our difference is on Franson and Wilson. Who knows about Franson.

Regardless, we both agree.. not likely we sign another forward if we get a 'vet' d.

Old
07-02-2009, 03:04 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

We're going to cut costs wherever we can, which means a 22-man roster. That open extra forward slot is going to stay open, and we may cut it down to 21 men by only carrying six defenders.

Old
07-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

this is gonna be a long season lol

Old
07-02-2009, 03:37 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
We're going to cut costs wherever we can, which means a 22-man roster. That open extra forward slot is going to stay open, and we may cut it down to 21 men by only carrying six defenders.
Injuries will likley fill it out to 23 paid players, on average.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 03:44 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
this is gonna be a long season lol
You said it.

Old
07-02-2009, 05:52 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Unless we get incredible goaltending (entirely possible), an unexpected prospect or on-fire 2nd line scoring bonanza, and some luck on top of that with minimal injuries, it is back to the old blue collar, grind out a point or two, around .500 hockey for this club next year, maybe next two years.

If we can score a top 6 draft pick that can contribute right away, maybe it is worth it. Look where it got the Pens (of course, that is bad since they sucked for like 4 yrs). We have to hope the team can stay afloat and be entertaining enough to watch (a challenge under the no-neck system) to at least break even in the meantime.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 07:22 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda of the chains View Post
If we can score a top 6 draft pick that can contribute right away, maybe it is worth it. Look where it got the Pens (of course, that is bad since they sucked for like 4 yrs). We have to hope the team can stay afloat and be entertaining enough to watch (a challenge under the no-neck system) to at least break even in the meantime.
Yeah but Poile would probably just take another blueliner. That's the only good thing about a long sorry year is to get a good draft pick but we're always good enough to end up with a mid-round pick.

Old
07-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Hearing Nashville is interested in signing D-man Jay McKee
http://twitter.com/andystrickland

Old
07-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
there was a reason he was bought out

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
there was a reason he was bought out
Because his 4.2 million dollar cap hit was absurd. I think that if we can get him cheap, he's a perfect fit.

Old
07-03-2009, 05:45 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

McKee would fit our need perfectly.

07-03-2009, 12:25 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
McKee would fit our need perfectly.
I concur!

Old
07-06-2009, 09:45 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Ole-Kristian Tollefson was released by the Jackets. He's a guy I'd like to see us take a chance on.

Old
07-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Predsrule

Heres some FWD's that are left that I feel we might targets (/ hope we do)
Todd Bertuzzi 1.75 X 2 years (adds some grit to top6 6 and soem scoring)
Jason Williams 2.2 X 1 year (pure off not much else... but we need that)
Ales Kotalik 3.0 X 3 years ( To me might be best fit but aso cost the most)
Ville Peltonen 1.5 X 2 years (Wouldn't mind this at all cheap , good 2 way game might put up better numbers(then last time) in top 6 and if not good 3rd line lw)
Kyle Calder 1.25 X 2 years ( If signs this cheap then fine if he wants more nty...)
Petr Sykora 2.0 X 3 years (could be a good signing.. could be a flop..)
Jeremy Williams (Tor) 750k X 1 year (I this this might be worth trying if nothing else adds some need depth in the ahl... )

Last edited by Predsrule: 07-06-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:25 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I want nothing to do with Kyle Calder.

Old
07-06-2009, 11:25 AM
echlfreak

In todays paper DP speaks of acquiring another D, not mention of another forward. It seems like DP is hoping the same team as last year -Zanon, Fiddler, Bonk, Nichol, Koistinen + Wilson and UFA D is going to magically be better than last year?

John Glennon keeps blogging or mentioning is his articles that we need another forward just like last year at the deadline. Yet DP seems to want to sit on his hands again.

Arnott was quoted as saying he hopes DP can pick up another forward earlier in the week. And in todays article he is states that they have good D and a good young goalie so they will have to be creative and match lines to get wins.

Do they ever do anything that is not the hardest way? If this team keeps on this track I guarantee guys like Weber, Suter, Hamhuis and Arnott will not want to come back once they become UFA's.

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:48 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
In todays paper DP speaks of acquiring another D, not mention of another forward. It seems like DP is hoping the same team as last year -Zanon, Fiddler, Bonk, Nichol, Koistinen + Wilson and UFA D is going to magically be better than last year?

John Glennon keeps blogging or mentioning is his articles that we need another forward just like last year at the deadline. Yet DP seems to want to sit on his hands again.

Arnott was quoted as saying he hopes DP can pick up another forward earlier in the week. And in todays article he is states that they have good D and a good young goalie so they will have to be creative and match lines to get wins.

Do they ever do anything that is not the hardest way? If this team keeps on this track I guarantee guys like Weber, Suter, Hamhuis and Arnott will not want to come back once they become UFA's.
DP doesn't say any such thing. John Glennon postulates based on what he "has said," particularly last week. Poile has had no quotes about the matter, recently.

Old
07-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

We only have enough room to sign one more decent player. I guess what Poile is mulling over right now is whether that player should be a defenseman or forward. If we go after a forward, that puts our defense at one of the youngest in the NHL. If we go after a defenseman, Ward is our 2nd liner.

It's a tough choice, honestly. Our team's philosophy has always been defense first. But at some point, we have to turn the defense over to our drafted players, rather than relying on Zanon's and de Vries's to get us by. Going after a forward would definitely weaken our team's greatest strength, but it would strengthen our greatest weakness.

Old
07-06-2009, 12:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
We only have enough room to sign one more decent player. I guess what Poile is mulling over right now is whether that player should be a defenseman or forward. If we go after a forward, that puts our defense at one of the youngest in the NHL. If we go after a defenseman, Ward is our 2nd liner.

It's a tough choice, honestly. Our team's philosophy has always been defense first. But at some point, we have to turn the defense over to our drafted players, rather than relying on Zanon's and de Vries's to get us by. Going after a forward would definitely weaken our team's greatest strength, but it would strengthen our greatest weakness.
It depends on what you're expecting, I guess. I don't think i was ever thinking we'd sign a 2 million dollar defenseman. I think we have enough to sign two, one million dollar players.