HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Scuderi to LA Kings, 3yr x 3.4M

Old
07-02-2009, 11:41 PM
AK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Weren't Pens fans desperate to get rid of this guy a few years ago when he was paired with Joe Melichar?
He, Milan Kraft, Alexei Morozov, Lasse Pirjeta, Sebastian Caron, Josef Melichar, Kelly Buchberger, Konstantin Koltsov and Mike Eastwood were really my posterboys for the four years or so of complete and utter epic failure before Crosby arrived.

Amazing what a difference a few years make. He's a quality shutdown defenseman now, but he was pretty brutal three years ago.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:47 PM
dbhinla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Would you like to compare DL's Kings drafting record with Dave Taylor's? I would...

In 3 drafts with the Kings (not including the last draft out of fairness), of which he really only had his own scouts in place for 2 of them he's drafted the following guys who have made it to the NHL level or are at Manchester and are moving up. I'll leave off Hickey Canada's Junior Team captain at the last WC's because you don't seem to be sold on him and I'm not including the most recent draft with Brayden Schenn who most people around here will say is a can't miss prospect.

Jonathan Bernier
Trevor Lewis
Oscar Moller
Wayne Simmonds
Drew Doughty
Vyacheslav Voynov (took GUTS to draft him)
Andrei Loktionov (see Voynov, and he will be in the "A" this year after being huge in the Mem Cup this year.)

That's 7 guys in 28 picks (not including some other young players who were drafted then and are likely to play at Manchester as well and maybe called up at some point for a look)

Dave Taylor's last three drafts...
Anze Kopitar
Jonathan Quick
Dustin Brown

That's it... 3 guys out of 27 picks...

I think if you look at the previous GMs record and compare it to the current one anyone would think you're being a little hard on Lombardi and more than a little bit impatient.
Point taken, nice effort compiling those lists. DL was brought here based on his ability in the draft so maybe I am a little hard but his FA record is not good. And your right, I am impatient.

But off those lists, who plays on a genuine cup contender? Doughty was a no-brainer BTW so DL gets points on strategy to be in that position but not on the pick itself. And like I said about my dear sweet G-Mah.

dbhinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:56 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhinla View Post
Oh, all true. And I am trying hard not to put myself in a position to knock our players. Give the kid whatever time he needs.

My point though is that no matter what happens some people defend EVERY choice DL makes. Doughty and JJ are two players to build the future around. Greene was traded for Lubo, a popular and productive player. If Scuderi was brought here to play out his contract. Where do Hickey and Teubert fit in? Shouldn't Hickey be a TOP 4 guy once he does get here?

So then what did we get for Lubo, a #5 defenseman? And why can't O'Donald play several more years. Look at the Detroit squad everyone is modeling after, a few productive 40 something defensemen there?

DL signs a second tier player (ON DEFENSE!!!) and we all shuffle the deck chairs just to make sure he keeps his "God of Hockey" status intact.
Hickey's 20 years old. Is there really a benefit to putting another 20 year old on the blueline? Let him play a year or 2 in Manchester, see if his leadership from Juniors translates to the AHL where he'll be one of the younger but more skilled guys. Tuebert has a long way to go before he's developed into an NHL talent. Scuderi's contract will be almost up before Tuebert will be ready to play in the NHL. Hell, there's no guarantee that Tuebert will ever be able to make it in the NHL in the first place.

As for Lubo: think about what our D would look like if we hadn't traded Lubo. We wouldn't have been able to afford Scuderi and we wouldn't have Greene, meaning we would have no stay at home D-men save for O'Donnell. We'd be faced with the same problem we had two years ago, nobody to clear out the crease.

Scuderi is a huge upgrade over Gauthier/Drewiske/Harrold. He gives us 6 solid D-man, how can you complain about that? You realize that with this signing defense is going to be the last of our concerns for a long time?

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:07 AM
RomanKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhinla View Post
Point taken, nice effort compiling those lists. DL was brought here based on his ability in the draft so maybe I am a little hard but his FA record is not good. And your right, I am impatient.

But off those lists, who plays on a genuine cup contender? Doughty was a no-brainer BTW so DL gets points on strategy to be in that position but not on the pick itself. And like I said about my dear sweet G-Mah.
Off the top of my head, shouldn't Lubo and Cammi be on DT's list?

RomanKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanKing View Post
Off the top of my head, shouldn't Lubo and Cammi be on DT's list?
I was comparing only DT's last 3 drafts and DL's first 3 drafts... apples to apples.

And incidentally, if we go back 4 drafts for DT and add the most recent draft by DL (his 4th with the Kings)...

DL got Brayden Schenn (a no brainer of course, but still a huge talent) and DT's 4th most recent draft in 2002.... ..Squadoosh!

Last edited by Face Wash: 07-03-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:41 AM
markisonfire
HFBoards Sponsor

Why would Hickey and Teubert need to be playing for the Kings this season? By my count, the Kings have a pretty solid defense. Why not let the kids grow in the minors? Hickey is 20 and he has yet to play a game in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Our defense looks something like...
Doughty-Scuderi
Johnson-Greene
Quincey-O'Donnell
(Harrold-Drewiske)

What is wrong with that? I imagine O'Donnell is going to retire at some point, two or three years down the road. Teubert is a long ways away from being an NHLer. Just because the Kings have depth now doesn't mean we have to throw them all with the big club all at once. Voynov, Hickey, Teubert, let them mature! Our defense is no longer a weakness.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:02 AM
JMFJ 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Why would Hickey and Teubert need to be playing for the Kings this season? By my count, the Kings have a pretty solid defense. Why not let the kids grow in the minors? Hickey is 20 and he has yet to play a game in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Our defense looks something like...
Doughty-Scuderi
Johnson-Greene
Quincey-O'Donnell
(Harrold-Drewiske)

What is wrong with that? I imagine O'Donnell is going to retire at some point, two or three years down the road. Teubert is a long ways away from being an NHLer. Just because the Kings have depth now doesn't mean we have to throw them all with the big club all at once. Voynov, Hickey, Teubert, let them mature! Our defense is no longer a weakness.
Hickey played 7 games for Manchester during their playoff push and had a goal and 6 assists.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 04:09 AM
DaAnimal

Awesome pickup for the Kings. I seriously loved watching him play during the playoffs. This guy will mentor our defense and help them establish a form of maturity.

PS JJ Is not going anywhere.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote