HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Zetterberg v. Crosby

View Poll Results: Henrik Zetterberg v. Sidney Crosby
Henrik Zetterberg 97 20.08%
Sidney Crosby 386 79.92%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-03-2009, 02:52 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Zetterberg played like 4 minutes more per game, and alot of it in exhausting situations like pk - aswell as shadowing Crosby. Babcock wore him down, not Crosby. I'm pretty sure Z:s conditioning is every bit as good as Crosbys, probably even a couple of steps above. So.. if Crosbys team hadn't won, Z would've been the better player? How can you say he led his team to the cup, when he was totally owned when it mattered?
Because the players, coach, and GM have all recognized that he did exactly that. And seemingly most people watched him do it with their own eyes. By that I mean seemingly NOT the ones who are clinging to a couple of crutch statistics from 1 or 2 games of a Cup run (minimum 16 games of course) as support for an understandably unpopular opinion.

And Zetterberg's conditioning possibly being "a couple steps above", let me just say: haha hihi he he hohoho. There's no 'deep belly laugh' emoticon. But I will give you this: I think Zetterberg was played more in the 3rd period than Crosby in a bunch of games, while Crosby was used as much, or more, than Zetterberg in the first 2 periods. You could certainly use that in an argument regarding conditioning. Or you could chalk it up to being the games where Pittsburgh was holding a lead in the 3rd period and Detroit was trying to mount a comeback; sending out their best players as often as possible. I think I can guess which one you'll go for.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Zetterberg played like 4 minutes more per game, and alot of it in exhausting situations like pk - aswell as shadowing Crosby. Babcock wore him down, not Crosby. I'm pretty sure Z:s conditioning is every bit as good as Crosbys, probably even a couple of steps above. So.. if Crosbys team hadn't won, Z would've been the better player? How can you say he led his team to the cup, when he was totally owned when it mattered?
You just lost all credibility there...

Also anyone who discounts the Lidstrom factor can't be taken seriously. He was up for another Norris trophy again this season and everyone plays with injuries in the playoffs... Gonchar played with a torn MCL.

Lidstrom's game is all about stickwork and positioning, so it isn't as if the injury took away from his physical game... I've rewatched the Cup several times and as I said before, he was the biggest factor in shutting Crosby down, not Zetterberg.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:37 AM
oldtimerhockey

Quote:
Zetterberg alot better defensively

Crosby better offensively

Zetterberg better than Crosby when facing eachother.

Crosby better through the whole playoffs except in the finals

Z was the one player who had the most impact in the final 7 games.
Zetterberg was on the team that choked and lost the last 4 of 5 in the finals. He was also pointless in games 6 and 7. Not sure of your point.

oldtimerhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:40 AM
oldtimerhockey

Detroit put Zetterberg, Lidstrom, and Rafalski against Crosby. He wore them all down and kept grinding. Even more importantly, it freed up Malkin to walk all over Kronwall and Ericsson. Crosby is ahead by a country mile over Zetterberg.

Old
07-03-2009, 12:01 PM
albo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimerhockey View Post
Detroit put Zetterberg, Lidstrom, and Rafalski against Crosby. He wore them all down and kept grinding. Even more importantly, it freed up Malkin to walk all over Kronwall and Ericsson. Crosby is ahead by a country mile over Zetterberg.
No they didn't. Watch the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals please.

albo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:03 PM
oldtimerhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by albo23 View Post
No they didn't. Watch the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals please.
Watched it all. Remind me who won?