HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who want Plekanec back as #2 line center?

View Poll Results: Do you want Plekanec back or not?
I want him back 78 65.55%
I dont 41 34.45%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-03-2009, 01:24 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Who want Plekanec back as #2 line center?

just curious to know how many people gave up on Plekky..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:28 PM
bib
#believe

I want him back simply because we can get him for cheap and he has the ability to be a good player, but I'm sure his play from last season is still fresh in everybody's mind. I say give him a chance under the new Jacques Martin system. I think this change can be good for him.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Forum Ghost

Not as a 2nd line centre. I think he overachieved in 2007-2008, and we won't see that Plecs again. I do think he'd be effective in a 3rd line role, though.

Forum Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Pascal

We don't have much of a choice right now since no one will want to take on Plek right now. We also don't have the cap space to replace him with something a lot better.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:33 PM
TheCH*

Better Pleks be the second line center then Lapierre. So obviously my answer is yes i want him back.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Ghost View Post
I think he overachieved in 2007-2008, and we won't see that Plecs again.
2008-09 Montreal NHL 80 20 19 39
2007-08 Montreal NHL 81 29 40 69
2006-07 Montreal NHL 81 20 27 47
2005-06 Montreal NHL 67 9 20 29

He's had 1 bad season out of 4. And that was the year everyone sucked ass. I don't think you have a large sample enough to call 07-08 a fluke year.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Kafka

Why would suddenly things be different? People forget pretty fast the guy had near 70pts two years ago WHEN HE WAS GIVEN pp TIME...

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Open the season with him as the second line center, if he can't step it up after 15-20 games go trade for another center.

He has little value so no point in trading him right now.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:35 PM
number 11

Depends if we can package him in a deal. He will NEVER show up in the playoffs.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
Depends if we can package him in a deal. He will NEVER show up in the playoffs.
He did in his first playoffs against Carolina... him and Perezhogin were pretty much our best players when Koivu got hurt.

Another thing is we lost Higgins and probably won't re-sign Kostopoulos who were our best penalty killing forwards so Plekanec can be valuable for us on the PK and will probably get a bit more PP time, hopefully he can improve on the faceoffs.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

I want him back, but if we can get a bigger centre for him, it's fine with me. I think he'll rebound though. Maybe not as good as his best year, but still...he's working hard even when he's not putting points on the board. He deserves another chance...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
He did in his first playoffs against Carolina... him and Perezhogin were pretty much our best players when Koivu got hurt.

Another thing is we lost Higgins and probably won't re-sign Kostopoulos who were our best penalty killing forwards so Plekanec can be valuable for us on the PK and will probably get a bit more PP time, hopefully he can improve on the faceoffs.
ugh so true... imagine if perez came back this year!

Akost Pleks Perez what a nice second line!

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

It was either him, or Koivu for 2nd line centre. Unless we can get a young, established d for him+ I say keep him in the 2nd line centre spot.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:02 PM
McTusk

I think the people giving up on him and the Kostitsyn's already are nuts, they are still relatively young and talented, and now that we have so much money on veterans, financially, who can replace them? You still need young, affordable players in today's league, we have some good ones.

Also, it's not like any teams are ready to give out any 20-30 goal power-forwards. How many bruisers who can score like that are out there and available too?

McTusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Puckhead58*

We need him as our 2nd line centerman. Who else is going to do it? The only way he doesn't come back and center the 2nd line is if he rejects the QO Gainey gave him and accepts an offer from another team or if Gainey trades his rights to another team for some other centermen.

But I see Pleks coming back and I see him doing well as the second line center providing he gets some help from his wingers.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:03 PM
googlymoogly

Pleks should bounce back as Martin will have a system in place. Pleks wingers won't be allowed to float this year as they did last. He should get more support and this will improve his numbers and his confidence.

googlymoogly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I want him back and I believe he can do the job but we need another winger,I still hope Kovy can agree to a deal even if I know it's almost impossible and bring back that line together of 2 years ago,Kovy-Pleks and Kost.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Capitano

I think Pleks has the ability to be more of a leader on our team believe it or not. With Kovy, he always seemed to try and cater to him, etc. Now that the big dogs are gone, Pleks should be more assertive and I bet you good things will happen for him.

He lacks finish, but his skating and hustle are great. I'm hoping for a bounce-back year, and as crazy as this might sound, I would give him an A.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Tuggy

I'll give him another chance.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:16 PM
FinnHab

Guy is soft..reaaally soft. And his last season was horrible. Fact is that we need one more centerman..im worried

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I want Pleks back no question. He's scored 20-goals every season except his rookie year and has the potential to reach 30.

To me, right now, I'm happy with our lineup if we can add another very good defensive defenseman.

Cammalleri - Gomez - Gionta -> It's Gainey's line and he spent the world for them, it better work. A lot of speed, talent, and goal scoring ability.

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kostitsyn -> A scoring line with a lot of talent and little bit of grit. The Kostitsyns will bounce back this season in a big way, especially Sergei. Playing together, they looked good at points in the past two seasons.. but to start them together is a huge key in my opinion. You're going to see some magic with this line.

Latendresse - Lapierre - Pacioretty - Size. Skill. Hard work. These three guys (yes, even Lats) have a good work ethic. Hopefully Lats can throw the body a bit more. Plus, all three have the potential to net 30-40 points this season.

The last line will be made up of Metro, Laraque, D'Ago, Chipchura, and Stewart. Hopefully D'Ago gets a spot because he deserves one. It's just too bad we have some other top-6 guys. But in a sense it's good to see him on the 4th line, because hopefully he can learn some defensive parts of the game to make him a better player down the road.

The defense is where it's thin.

Markov - O'Byrne -> I'm one of the few that likes Obi, but he's got some hard work ahead. He's a goat in Montreal already, but if he can have half the season Komisarek did two years ago, no one will care he's playing. He's got more offensive talent than Komi, but I question his heart in comparison. His run with the Bulldogs in the playoffs a few years back was Top-5 on the team (behind Jancevski, Locke, Price and Chipchura).

Hamrlik - Gill -> Hammer can cover up some weaknesses and this will be a tough pairing to place against. Has some skill.. I just hope Gill can adjust to the right side.

Spacek - Gorges -> Great third pairing (will both get more ice-time than Gill and/or O'Byrne), but this duo has speed, skill, and some offensive punch.

If we can nab a defensive to take the spot of O'Byrne (or Weber has an exceptional camp), we are looking very solid. If we can't, I'd settle for another year of Brisebois as the #7.

Halak and Price NEED to fight for the #1. I would be all for Halak starting in game #1 of the season to get Price into the mentality that this is only his team if he plays like it.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Domenic

Plekanec and Sergei did nothing last year to guarauntee them jobs this year. They have to both play their way into the top 6.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:32 PM
m00ks

Get rid of Pleks and you have another Ribeiro debacle waiting to happen. He'll bounce back and so will the Kost. The drama of last season is over and everyone gets to start fresh. New coach, new teammates, new system, new season. I bet they smell the fresh air already.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
Plekanec and Sergei did nothing last year to guarauntee them jobs this year. They have to both play their way into the top 6.
If that's the case, we are going to have a pretty brutal Top-6. Lapierre, Latendresse, and I guess Stewart would be our 2nd line.

Andrei sucked for the majority of the season, Plekanec as well. Sergei as a joke last year.

I guess Price should be demoted for Desjardins because he was one of the worst players on the team as well.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Bialo Czerwoni

Do we really have a choice? Gomez-Cammalleri-Gionta = 20M
Forget about free agents for the next 5 years, what you see is what youll get for the next 5 years.

Bialo Czerwoni is offline   Reply With Quote