HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Sign Samuelsson

Old
07-03-2009, 01:25 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

vCash: 500
The thing I remember most about Samuelsson is that I always get him in my hockey pools.

07-03-2009, 01:25 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Seriously what is with the fascination of busting the Sedins balls in this town? They dont miss games, they play against teams best checkers and they take a beating. Yet they keep coming, and coming. Not tough in the Tie Domi sense, sure....
I'm a huge Sedin fan. But I'm not going to call them "tough" when they aren't.

Do they with stand a beating? YEs

Can they work in the tough areas? Yes

Do they work well against Physical defencemen? Yes

But they aren't physical players. If your criterion for "toughness" is what the Sedins bring to the table, then 2/3rds of the NHL is "tough".

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognism View Post
Except that wasn't the question.

The question was, and I'll quote directly - "Coming to a team that hasn't gotten out of the second round of the playoffs in a long time, and I know you haven't been in the dressing room yet. But what attracted you to this team to make you think that they're capable of making a run in the Stanley Cup playoffs".
LOL - ok - it's just funny the way the poster wrote it up, I guess.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
Our D is pretty laughable at the moment, if there's no moves made. We'll get exploited again, like in the Chicago series.
Yeah, no question about that. I was just trying to point out that with 7.2m left to sign 2-3F, 2D, and 1G we could easily afford Sundin. Just really depends on whether we make a trade and free up some cap room or not.

Given Gillis' comments about Bieksa yesterday, I doubt he's on his way out. It's certainly going to be interesting to see who he trades, if anyone. Demitra is one candidate, but he's been here for one year and used to be Gillis' client. Interesting couple of months ahead of us, that's for sure.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Wellwood You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengay View Post
LOL - ok - it's just funny the way the poster wrote it up, I guess.
I wrote it.

My transcription:

Quote:
What attracted you to Vancouver to make you believe they're capable for a Cup run?
Exact question:

Quote:
"Coming to a team that hasn't gotten out of the second round of the playoffs in a long time, and I know you haven't been in the dressing room yet. But what attracted you to this team to make you think that they're capable of making a run in the Stanley Cup playoffs"

Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:30 PM
LeftCoast

With the number of top 6, top 9 forwards we now have coming into camp, and our lack of depth on defense, there is likely a trade in the near future to remedy this.

Maybe something involving Hansen and Schneider for Kaberle?

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:31 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Really though - if this is the bold moves that Gillis was going to make to put together a winning team, I'd have rather seen them blow it up and start over. Luongo could be dealt for a Kings Ransom. Picks and players. Start with Schneider, Edler, Kesler and Burrows and build from there. Follow the BlackHawks plan. Be bad for 2 or 3 years to get REALLY good down the road.

With the twins as the first line - the team really needed an explosive second line to be any kind of a cup contender. Samuelsson in your top 6 pretty much eliminates that possibility.

I am really totally disappointed here. Brutal move. Terrible.
Except the beauty of this is if it doesnt work out he will be on the third line and they will go hard after someone at the deadline. No worries.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:31 PM
dhabums*

Quote:
A cup ring? Cmon - that's so overrated. Maybe if he was a front line player that was a material cog in the Wings winning the cup - but he was at best a complimentary guy that could have been easily changed out. This is a horrendous signing that in effect eats up over 1.5 million in precious cap space that did not need to be lost.

Gillis is an idiot, officially.
Now that it's July 3, I guess it's time to finally start judging the line up. Just a question, but are you the guy that goes into the kitchen when dinner is only half cooked, takes a bite and complains about the taste?

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:32 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post

But they aren't physical players. If your criterion for "toughness" is what the Sedins bring to the table, then 2/3rds of the NHL is "tough".
Fair enough, but you know theres people out there who think they're on Demitra's level of toughness...which just isnt true.

Old
07-03-2009, 01:33 PM
digger18

Quote:
Is this post serious or sarcastic?

Chicago was clearly more physical than we were.

The Canucks were the second least physical team in the NHL last season, while taking the third most PIM's per game.

You explain that to me, and you explain how signing a guy who takes chincy little minor penalties and is softer than butter is going to improve that.
I agree, this signing does not look all that good, unless Gillis made this move as a building block to trade away a couple of our other soft forwards.

If Gillis cant see this team is lacking in grit up front, then I really question his ability to judge his hockey club.

I have a hard time beleiving Gillis would trade his buddy Demitra, but as of right now I would love to see it happen. That 4M contract is a killer.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Except the beauty of this is if it doesnt work out he will be on the third line and they will go hard after someone at the deadline. No worries.
6 million dollars being spent on a soft third line?

Old
NCPokey

There was clearly a need to acquire another forward who can play 2nd line minutes and play on the powerplay. Gillis had to pay market rate to do it. Regardless of whether or not they have Grabner, Raymond, Shirokov, etc, you can never lose by having more talent on the team because it's just another asset.

After watching Detroit in the playoffs, I think this was a pretty decent signing. I think he brings more to the table than Pyatt did for not a lot more money. He's a pretty versatile forward and a natural right winger, which is something very lacking on this club.

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:35 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhabums View Post
Now that it's July 3, I guess it's time to finally start judging the line up. Just a question, but are you the guy that goes into the kitchen when dinner is only half cooked, takes a bite and complains about the taste?
When they are glazing the Ham with too much butter you'd better be damn right I'm going to complain...

I'm paying alot for this meal

Old
07-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Wellwood You

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhabums View Post
More like the Swedish meatballs are way softer and nowhere near the Alberta-raised steak that was ordered.

Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:38 PM
digger18

Quote:

Im not so sure it can even be said that they work well against physical defencemen.

They ran into Seabrook and Kieth and basiclly dissapeared for 2/3 of the series. They failed to get any puck pressure in the Hawks zone at all IMO. As far as working in the tough areas, sure they are good in the corners, from behind the net to the hashmarks, but their slot presence is pretty much non exstent.

Old
07-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Shareefruck

This is one of those deals where I'm just going to wait and see what happens. On the one hand, I like Samuelsson, he has chemistry with the Sedins, he's well-rounded, cheapish, and versatile enough that you can put him anywhere, but on the other hand, why spend money on a two-way forty point forward when we have like... 10-11 (too many) of our forwards capable of being at least that next year? I Would rather have Hansen, Raymond, or Bernier out there next year (hopefully a bit improved) than Samuelsson.

If a trade is in the works, it DOES fit, but still, I'd hate to see a few of those guys go for a stop-gap defensive solution.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Tiranis

CDC is more positive than HFBoards today... what happened?

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I don't really understand the negativity in this. Samuelsson is the definition of versatile; he can fit in virtually anywhere on the roster, be it top six or bottom six, and not look out of place. He can play on both the PP and the PK, he is responsible at both ends of the ice. He also gives us something this team sorely needs--a guy who has won the freaking Cup. The Canucks had no one with that kind of experience last year or in years past. Samuelsson has won the World Hockey Championships, he's won an Olympic Gold and he's won the Cup. He's also been a part of the Detroit system, which is the biggest winning system in the NHL right now.

There is just a ton of intangibles this guy is going to bring to the lineup. Do I see him as a Sedin linemate? Not necessarilly, I think that is Burrows' role until he loses it(which I don't think he will). But Samuelsson gives us a glut of other options as to what we can do with our top six, whether or not Sundin re-signs. I like this signing a lot, and $2.5mil is not a terrible contract for a guy who has shown to be a consistent 40-point player in bottom-six minutes, who also steps up his game in the playoffs.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:42 PM
galiano

To me this is a disappointing move as it means one less opportunity for a young player. At some point in time the Canucks have to commit to a youth movement with Grabner, Raymond, Hanson, Wellwood etc.

The only way this works for me is if they trade Demitra.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:42 PM
ubiquitous
More like Shredder

You're going to have to overpay to sign players in today's free agent market.

I personally like the signing, and it seems pretty apparent it will be a pre-cursor to 'some' sort of trade.

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Peter Griffin

Decent signing. Not a fan of the 3rd year, but that's the way free agency goes. Samuelsson is good, two-way player that has averaged around 40 points with the Wings the past four seasons. If he get's some ice-time on the Sedins' wing I wouldn't be surprised if he potted 20+ goals and 50+ points. My guess is that the 2nd line might be Demitra-Kesler-Burrows next season, unless Gillis can get Sundin back or make a move elsewhere. At this point I think Gillis is going to focus on finding a 4/5 d-man.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:43 PM
monster_bertuzzi

At least one of Hansen/Raymond/Bernier/Wellwood is going to be shipped out of town.

Old
07-03-2009, 01:46 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Really though - if this is the bold moves that Gillis was going to make to put together a winning team, I'd have rather seen them blow it up and start over. Luongo could be dealt for a Kings Ransom. Picks and players. Start with Schneider, Edler, Kesler and Burrows and build from there. Follow the BlackHawks plan. Be bad for 2 or 3 years to get REALLY good down the road.

With the twins as the first line - the team really needed an explosive second line to be any kind of a cup contender. Samuelsson in your top 6 pretty much eliminates that possibility.

I am really totally disappointed here. Brutal move. Terrible.
Since you have started posting, with every post being negative of course, I have not agreed with anything you have posted.

SopelFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:47 PM
digger18

With teams spending the way they are so far, there is going to be alot of very good players available, when the cap drops in 2010/11. The waiver wire is going to be lit up like a Christmas tree. It would be wise to have some cap space available, when that happens.

Old
07-03-2009, 01:48 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonShaReeFruck View Post
This is one of those deals where I'm just going to wait and see what happens.
That's what everybody should do with all signings. ****, how can anyone (unless the money or term is extreme) start insulting signings before the season begins?

SopelFan* is offline   Reply With Quote