HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

where has our leading PK unit gone?

Old
07-02-2009, 02:33 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
we dismantled the best part of our team.
Why?

When the best part of your team is the PK, you have problems.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
When the best part of your team is the PK, you have problems.
undoubtedly true!

but just because the offense needed a fix I though we should have kept our best face off man and Sjo who had speed to burn...

I don't buy this more offensive PK bs some people talk about like we needed a more
offensive guy on the 4th line. so we got out and got this punk Brashear and pay him
kings ransom.

I stand by this statement: he is a punk and I don't like him being a Ranger one bit.
I would have given the money we spent on him to both Betts and Sjoe.....for their deserved pay rise.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:35 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
undoubtedly true!

but just because the offense needed a fix I though we should have kept our best face off man and Sjo who had speed to burn...

I don't buy this more offensive PK bs some people talk about like we needed a more
offensive guy on the 4th line. so we got out and got this punk Brashear and pay him
kings ransom.

I stand by this statement: he is a punk and I don't like him being a Ranger one bit.
I would have given the money we spent on him to both Betts and Sjoe.....for their deserved pay rise
I agree with the first part. That said, who would you have signed to be our enforcer? Obviously Orr is out cause we weren't giving him a 4 year deal.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:42 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
undoubtedly true!

kings ransom.

I would have given the money we spent on him to both Betts and Sjoe.....for their deserved pay rise.
Our best faceoff man is still here...that would be Dubinsky, who finished above 53%, and improved over the prior year. Of the four centers who took the majority of the faceoffs, Betts was the only one under 50%.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:49 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Jeez, I never realized that Sjo and Betts were the only guys who played on the PK!

Callahan, Drury and all the other forwards mentioned above will be shocked to hear it. All the Dmen who played on the team last year will be shocked to hear it (surprised no one's brought them into the conversation yet). Hank will most definitely be shocked to hear it.

C'mon guys, even if you assume that:

-Betts and Sjo were worth, say, 20% of the effectiveness of the PK (which is a HUGE assumption given their relative ice time to that of all the other forwards, dmen and of course the goalie)
-they are the 2 best PKing forwards in the league
-the guys who replace them are going to be average

Then, the change will result in our PK slipping 20% of the way from 1st to 16th. In other words, we'll be 4th overall. Oh no! Crisis!

If we slip in the rankings, it'll because the play of the remaining players from last year's PK slips, not due to the departure of Sjo and Betts.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:59 PM
NYR Viper

I think Torts will push for a more aggressive pk. I wouldnt be surprised to see a group of Korpikoski and Gaborik out there together on a unit. If you have the ability to transition quickly you can put teams on their heels on their PP's. That is what I am expecting with the likes of Cally, Drury, Dubi, Higgins, Korpi and Gaborik/Avery.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:13 AM
chosen

Quote:
we dismantled the best part of our team.
Why?
Simply put, it is because it is the easiest part to replace.

People went into a panic about Ortmyer's leaving, told us we were doomed without him. I respect what these types of players bring to the table but they are essentially utility players that are for the most part interchangeable.

Exceptions are the ones that can play d and put a puck in the net, like Madden. Losing him in his prime would greatly hurt a squad but those players are rare talents.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:16 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The best PKer is still here, and wears #30.
Exactly

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:38 PM
AXN

Arnason will help.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:48 PM
azrok22