HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Corey Locke, re-sign PA Parenteau

Old
07-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
To be fair, the Rangers have given Hartford very little in the way of experience or leadership the past few years. (Rissmiller doesn't count, since he was as far away as you can get from "veteran leadership" in terms of setting examples) and it's shown. Gernander has his faults, but if you look around the AHL, the better playoff teams all have a few vets sprinkled in.
Exactly. Manitoba being led by Mike Keane, Hershey had guys like Bryan Helmer and Keith Aucoin. We had Rissmiller.

Anyways, love both of these signings. Never got to see Locke play since we rarely get a chance to play teams other than our own local division opponents (and Bridgeport), hahaha. Should make for another good year. Oh and my little sis will be happy to see PA back.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:14 AM
dank

solid, why not? 79 pts in 77 games.. for Hartford, lets do it.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
solid, why not? 79 pts in 77 games.. for Hartford, lets do it.
I was afraid we were going to have to replace both PA and AA this season but I'm glad we found a guy and got PA back. Add in Grachev and you've got yourself a team.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:52 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Nice, Always enjoyed watching PA play at Hartford. Played well in NYR preseason camp and exhibition games.
PA very well could have been a PP fix for us. I still don't understand why he was never given a chance. I can't believe he agreed to stay as he has done everything to get into the Rangers lineup and has never even gotten a shift. IF HE EARNS A SPOT IN CAMP THIS YEAR HE BETTER GET ONE!

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:41 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

I thought PA was on the go since we didn't give him a shot with the big club? Has something changed? Why would he "waste" one or two more years with the pack if he can have a chance elsewhere?

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'm really surprised PA is back. I thought he was leaving for sure. Maybe there wasn't much interest in him around the league.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:11 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Is it possible Sather did the math and realized that 11 players for $16 mill means guys like Parenteau HAVE to be on this team in order to fit everyone under the cap without sending Redden to Hartford for the next five years?

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Is it possible Sather did the math and realized that 11 players for $16 mill means guys like Parenteau HAVE to be on this team in order to fit everyone under the cap without sending Redden to Hartford for the next five years?
With our RFAs signed, we have a full NHL roster. Are you saying you don't think we'll be able to sign our RFAs?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:27 PM
squishy

Any word on whether it's a 1-way or 2-way contract? Maybe the Rangers offered him a 1-way deal, meaning he gets a paycheck better than he would in Europe even if he's in Hartford.

Arnason's press release specifically says 2-way deal, but neither Locke's or Parenteau's specifies.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Sammy the Great

PAP - 1way/500K. Can't reveal my source, but I will guarantee these are the terms per an inside source.

I know I don't post here often, so some might not believe me, but I can guarantee it.

My guess - No one else would give him a 1 way and he is going for the paycheck. Plus as pointed out, he's a cheap option as a spare forward.

Weird, because one would think he'd want a change of scenery. But sometimes money talks.

Sammy the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Camenzuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Any word on whether it's a 1-way or 2-way contract? Maybe the Rangers offered him a 1-way deal, meaning he gets a paycheck better than he would in Europe even if he's in Hartford.

Arnason's press release specifically says 2-way deal, but neither Locke's or Parenteau's specifies.
Squishy!

Do you think Parenteau would have resigned without getting at least indications from the Rangers that he has got a fair chance of making the team? Do you think he's got a shot?

Camenzuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:46 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Do you think Parenteau would have resigned without getting at least indications from the Rangers that he has got a fair chance of making the team? Do you think he's got a shot?
To be honest I think Parenteau's got a snowball's chance in hell of making the Rangers. His signing with us suggests to me that no other NHL team thought he had a chance either. I could be wrong, but he's got career-AHLer (albeit a successful one) written all over him.

Still love having him in Hartford though.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:53 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy the Great View Post
PAP - 1way/500K. Can't reveal my source, but I will guarantee these are the terms per an inside source.

I know I don't post here often, so some might not believe me, but I can guarantee it.

My guess - No one else would give him a 1 way and he is going for the paycheck. Plus as pointed out, he's a cheap option as a spare forward.

Weird, because one would think he'd want a change of scenery. But sometimes money talks.
Cheers Sammy. I suspected it had to be a one-way deal, since it's really hard to see why he'd stay otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camenzuli View Post
Squishy!

I think every player who signs an NHL contract believes that have a shot. And I don't think any team tries to woo a player by saying "come play for our farm team and if you're lucky enough players might get hurt and you'll get a call up."

I think he'll be given a shot. I can't say what his chances are at this point, because I don't think Sather's done. But as it stands now there won't be much space for him if the Rangers keep Zherdev. He's not really the kind of guy you play on the 4th line, and he'll have Gaborik, Zherdev and Cally ahead of him.

Old
07-03-2009, 03:00 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

You guys got one of the most dominant players in the AHL. I went to Houston and saw an Aero's game, and he just dominated the ice.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:02 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
You guys got one of the most dominant players in the AHL. I went to Houston and saw an Aero's game, and he just dominated the ice.
Actually, we've got two of them.

Old
07-03-2009, 03:03 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Agitator View Post
I thought PA was on the go since we didn't give him a shot with the big club? Has something changed? Why would he "waste" one or two more years with the pack if he can have a chance elsewhere?
Where did you think Parenteau was going? To another AHL team? To Europe?

You make it sound like Parenteau has teams lining up outside his door.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:13 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

2-way deal?

I hope its a 1-way deal because the kid seriously deserve a shot at the NHL. I'm a huge fan of his. His skating will never be great (its more than adequate, just for his size, it's not ideal). And his vision is incredible.

Good player.

PS. I'm talking about Locke.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 07-03-2009 at 03:18 PM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Sammy the Great

Ok, so we know Torts like to keep a small roster. Perhaps PAP is a spare forward for a top 9 position if someone gets hurt.

Meanwhile, you have Voros, Rissmiller and Arnason battling to be a spare for the 4th line should Boyle play to his potential in camp and Byers plays the way most on this board expect.

Should Boyle & Byers make it (I'm not saying they won't, but you never know - injuries etc), then I think they waive Voros and send to HFD. He played hardly at all for Torts and his skating doesn't suit Torts style. Then you have Rissmiller or Arnason. I know many aren't fans of Rissmiller, but as a spare, he could be ok on spot duty. Meanwhile you have the flexbility of calling up Arnason when/if needed without waivers.

So - in short, I see PAP as an insurance policy, though his defensive play is not NHL level, for a "skilled" type spot duty.

But if there are injuries or Boyle doesn't play well in camp, which I think is a possiblity, and for a guy his size he is soft, then you have a couple guys with NHL experience to play fourth line in Squishy's favorite Rissmiller (kidding) and Arnason.

I just don't see how Voros can fit into the plans for NYR this season, even as a reserve.

Sure I'm going to get killed for bringing up Rissmiller, but as a reserve for 4th line duty, it could be ok.

Or another scenario - keep 1 spare forward, waive Rissmiller & Voros and send them to HFD w/ Arnason. PAP = spare, and Arnason can be called up without waivers.

Sammy the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Why wouldn't Arnason be subject to waivers?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:37 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Where did you think Parenteau was going? To another AHL team? To Europe?

You make it sound like Parenteau has teams lining up outside his door.
He had multiple offers from European teams last season. There's no reason to believe that wouldn't have been true this season.