HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger - a fighter to rival Street Fighter?

Old
07-03-2009, 04:05 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

vCash: 500
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger - a fighter to rival Street Fighter?

So, I've never heard of this game "BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger" but I happened to see a review for it on GameTrailers, which gave it a 9.0 and said that it would rival Street Fighter and push 2-d fighters to the next level. It came out in arcades last year, but was just released for 360 and PS3 on June 30th. Wiki labels it the "spiritual successor to Guilty Gear".

GameTrailers' Review: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/re...calamity/52354

Some things that the GT Review mentions:

-All 12 characters actually feel and plays unique
-Fairly generous combo chain timing for casual players, but a deep enough combat system for hardcore gamers (Hardcore Gamer Magazine via Metacritic says "It will take at least another year for the game's full depth to be discovered. [Issue#35, p.44] "
-a "Drive" system that is explained in the GT review
-Incredible 2-d visuals
-Apparently has a pretty good story mode
-AWESOME online features... Obvious ones like quick match, but also Rooms with up to 6 people to simulate arcade quarter matches with rotation, downloadable replays, (Metacritic says that it puts SF4's online modes to shame)
-Funny Engrish, or Japanese audio
-A metal, "Futuristic Rock-Opera" soundtrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacritic
In the 13th hierarchical city, Kagutsuchi, the Librarium regulates the amazing power of Armagus, a fusion of magic and technology. Currently they are after a wanted criminal named Ragna The Bloodedge, also known as Death, who wants to destroy the Librarium. Due to Ragna possessing a powerful form of Armagus known as the Azure Grimoire, people far and wide are after not only his bounty, but his grimoire as well. This is where our story begins. BlazBlue Key Features: The first hi-res 2D fighter from the creators of the Guilty Gear series! Experience the beauty of high-resoluti on, hand-drawn sprites on 3D backgrounds, all in glorious high-definition. Online Battle Action. Get ready to take the action online and battle the best players from all over the world! Console Exclusive Modes. BlazBlue features the following console-only modes: Arcade, Vs, Practice, and a completely fleshed-out Story Mode that tells the tales of each character. Over 10 unique combatants to choose from! Choose a character that represents your own fighting style, like the lightning-fast Taokaka or the wickedly powerful Tager. Drive your way to victory! Use the unique "Drive Attacks" specific to each character to decimate your opponent. Depending on the character, control the elements like wind and ice, or even absorb the life force from your opponents. A plethora of offensive and defensive options at your disposal! Take advantage of Barriers, Counter Assaults, Rapid Cancels, and Distortion Drives to turn the tide of battle! [Akys Games]
http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...ger?q=blazblue

MetaCritic has it rated 9.0 and 9.2 for 360 and PS3 respectively, from 10 reviews. User votes have it at 9.0 and 9.8.

Just wondering if any of you had played it. I'm probably going to at least rent it. Hopefully there's a demo I can check out.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 04:11 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I haven't played it but I've heard very good things about it from people who have.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:09 PM
leova

Honestly, having "only" 12 characters seems a bit on the low side, especially with games like MK and SF that have huge character selection

yes, those two series have been around longer, but considering BlazBlue is based off of Anime, a few more characters would be nice

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 09:12 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
Honestly, having "only" 12 characters seems a bit on the low side, especially with games like MK and SF that have huge character selection

yes, those two series have been around longer, but considering BlazBlue is based off of Anime, a few more characters would be nice
That's true, a few more characters would probably enhance the game considerably.

But then again, if you look at the MK and Street Fighter series... A lot of the characters play the same (especially in MK), and there really aren't big differences between them.

Old
07-03-2009, 09:20 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
It was supposed to come out in Canada today but it got held up at the border.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
You just made a sale. I watched half that video with my mouth hanging open. It's still open. My God.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 09:59 PM
CanadienDude
Katie B.

Yeah, won me over too, prolly trade in SF4 for it tomorrow.

CanadienDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:09 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienDude View Post
Yeah, won me over too, prolly trade in SF4 for it tomorrow.
Call first. I heard it won't be in Canada until probably Wednesday, but it could show up before that.

And call early. I guarantee this'll be hard to get if you didn't pre-order it.

Old
07-03-2009, 10:26 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Unfortunately, there's no demo for it on Live. I was looking forward to checking it out. I'll probably trade in Skate 2 (man did that game get boring fast...) and get this bad boy.

Maybe I'll buy a few copies and smuggle them in to Canada.

edit: Just realized... I'm going to have to play this using the 360 d-pad.... oh the agony.

Old
07-04-2009, 12:25 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

That is a beautiful game... I think I may just buy it. I'm not really much of a fighting game guy, although fighting games aren't really an exact science. I can mash a bunch of buttons and be just as good as someone that plays nonstop for days on end perfecting his combos.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 07-04-2009 at 01:38 AM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 01:32 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

So I've watched that GT review like 4 times today.....

I crack up when the cat girl peeks at the screen before the fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
That is a beautiful game... I think I may just buy it. I'm not really much of a fighting game guy, although fighting games aren't really an exact science. I can mash a bunch of buttons and be just as good as someone that plays nonstop for days on end perfecting his combos.
Some games you can, but IMO the best games will show the gap between "mashing" and executing. That's why SF3: Third Strike is my favorite fighter. You could do sweet stuff if you were a beginner, but if you really had a character down (my Makoto was deadly as sin) you could just tear **** up.

Last edited by yakitate304: 07-04-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old
07-04-2009, 04:12 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post

12 well designed, well balanced characters >> 30 joke characters, poorly balanced characters half of which play almost the same.

Have been depressed about this not being region free for a good week now

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 04:15 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Lol you aren't going to just button mash to victory against a GOOD Soul Calibur, Tekken, SF, Blazblue, Guilty gear player. When playing fighting games against people who are actually really good eg not just friend who is the best in your circle, then fighting games are very much an exact science. Go take a look at some professional SF clips and then come back and tell me that you think you could button mash your way to victory against them lol. Sorry but you are way off the mark. If you can just go mash buttons and be just as good as someone who plays nonstop for days then why aren't you there making money off it.

Old
07-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Can't find the mother anywhere. EB just told me they didn't even get enough for their pre-orders, and they won't have enough for sale until August.

Sounds like bs to me. Guess I'll wait a week and buy it at Best Buy or some crap.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 05:04 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Alright, from what I can tell the release schedule for this game is sort of ridiculous.

The BlazBlue that is hitting stores this week is a limited edition, and there aren't a lot of them, AND the shipment was delayed. You won't get one out of EB/Gamestop unless you pre-ordered (and from the sounds of it, even if you did pre-order they don't have enough for everybody), but I heard Futureshop and BestBuy will be getting some copies in sometime next week.

Now for the stupid part: The regular edition apparently comes out for North America at the end of July. You can take that as a good or bad thing I guess. You'll be able to pre-order it this time, at least.

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/Produ...oduct_id=75213
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/Produ...oduct_id=74492

Old
07-04-2009, 06:19 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Alright, from what I can tell the release schedule for this game is sort of ridiculous.

The BlazBlue that is hitting stores this week is a limited edition, and there aren't a lot of them, AND the shipment was delayed. You won't get one out of EB/Gamestop unless you pre-ordered (and from the sounds of it, even if you did pre-order they don't have enough for everybody), but I heard Futureshop and BestBuy will be getting some copies in sometime next week.

Now for the stupid part: The regular edition apparently comes out for North America at the end of July. You can take that as a good or bad thing I guess. You'll be able to pre-order it this time, at least.

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/Produ...oduct_id=75213
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/Produ...oduct_id=74492
I'm probably going to go tomorrow and trade in Fight Night Round 3 and Skate 2 and buy the limited edition one. Hopefully they have it in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Lol you aren't going to just button mash to victory against a GOOD Soul Calibur, Tekken, SF, Blazblue, Guilty gear player. When playing fighting games against people who are actually really good eg not just friend who is the best in your circle, then fighting games are very much an exact science. Go take a look at some professional SF clips and then come back and tell me that you think you could button mash your way to victory against them lol. Sorry but you are way off the mark. If you can just go mash buttons and be just as good as someone who plays nonstop for days then why aren't you there making money off it.
Yeah, somehow I can't see a button masher beating something like this...

Old
07-06-2009, 02:30 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

EB's here in Edmonton got them today. Not enough to cover pre-orders.

No one else in the city got any.

Old
07-06-2009, 02:32 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
EB's here in Edmonton got them today. Not enough to cover pre-orders.

No one else in the city got any.
Did you get one?

Old
07-06-2009, 02:36 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Did you get one?
Negative.

I pre-ordered on Amazon.ca, which is going to prove to be a mistake.

Old
07-06-2009, 09:57 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Negative.

I pre-ordered on Amazon.ca, which is going to prove to be a mistake.
That's unfortunate. Hopefully you get it at least before the Standard edition comes out. I'm thinking maybe tomorrow I'll check my GameStop to see if they've got it. Hopefully I can get a decent return for Fight Night 3 and Skate 2 trade ins.

Old
07-07-2009, 10:46 AM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
I love that a fighter still employs 2D art. I am getting this soon, I really enjoyed the guilty gear games.

meehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:42 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan View Post
I love that a fighter still employs 2D art. I am getting this soon, I really enjoyed the guilty gear games.
Definitely. I was pretty disappointed with the art direction they chose for SF4. (well, a lot of the direction they chose with SF4)

Old
07-08-2009, 09:32 PM
CanadienDude
Katie B.

really pissing me off at trying to get a copy of this game. taking forever to ship from amazon.ca and on amazon.com they are offering it but would end up costing me $93 american (before tax) to get it by friday.

CanadienDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 09:35 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienDude View Post
really pissing me off at trying to get a copy of this game. taking forever to ship from amazon.ca and on amazon.com they are offering it but would end up costing me $93 american (before tax) to get it by friday.
I have my order pending on amazon.ca as well, but I fully expect them to cancel it and send me an apology email (as they have already done with a few games this year).

Honestly, if you're in Canada and don't want to get gouged shipping one from the States (or paying double retail price on eBay) I can't foresee getting a copy before the end of July.

Old
07-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

All of you lot complaining about trying to get your mits on a copy just be happy you aren't in a PAL region