HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Old
04-28-2009, 05:38 PM
SenatorArmy

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

I haven't seen a thread about this guy, so forgive me if there is one but what can you tell me about this guy? I remember he was ranked something like 43rd (I.S.S) then jumped to 23rd & now all the way to 9th?? There is alot of talk about Ottawa being interested in this guy, but frankly by the time the draft rolls around, I don't know if he'll be ranked low enough for us to get him.

My main concern is he doesn't play in the SEL yet here he is being ranked among players who are playing in superior leagues. How would this guy stack up against the young D-men in the SEL? I'm basically just looking for anything you guys can tell me about this guy since he's flown under the radar for the most part..... thank you...

SenatorArmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Enstrom39

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorArmy View Post
I haven't seen a thread about this guy, so forgive me if there is one but what can you tell me about this guy? I remember he was ranked something like 43rd (I.S.S) then jumped to 23rd & now all the way to 9th?? There is alot of talk about Ottawa being interested in this guy, but frankly by the time the draft rolls around, I don't know if he'll be ranked low enough for us to get him.

My main concern is he doesn't play in the SEL yet here he is being ranked among players who are playing in superior leagues. How would this guy stack up against the young D-men in the SEL? I'm basically just looking for anything you guys can tell me about this guy since he's flown under the radar for the most part..... thank you...
I wouldn't be surprised if he is taken in the top 10 overall.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 08:46 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:

Well Patrik Berglund spent most of his draft year in the J20 Super Elit league, then moved up and had two dominant years for Vasteras IK in Allsvenskan. it can be a good place for prospects to develop because they get more minutes than in the SEL and the competition is still professional and comparable to the ECHL.

So don't be too worried about OEL, because he had a fantastic season. Then again, he was also on a team that dominated the league, but he was a big part of that.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2009, 10:12 PM
SenatorArmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
Me neither. In fact I expect him to. If Burke doesn't move up in the draft, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take OEL at 7th pick. Afterall we did move up last year & stole Karlsson from him. Hahah.

Old
04-29-2009, 02:31 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
It wouldn't surprise me at all either. Bob McKenzie said on TSN that there is a clear cut top 9 right now, and OEL is part of that top 9.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanzenkills View Post
It wouldn't surprise me at all either. Bob McKenzie said on TSN that there is a clear cut top 9 right now, and OEL is part of that top 9.
Bob also says 'don't be surprised if he's a top 5 pick...

He will probably be picked at the 8/9/10th range.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 10:32 PM
wings5

Bump

I just read he is going back to Vasteras to play div 2 again. Wouldn't he think of playing SEL or KHL and face a higher level of competition?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 02:53 AM
SenatorArmy

that's a little disappointing. The biggest question about him is how he'll match up against better competition so why would he not want to answer that question. This is 3 adjustments he'll have to make. First up to SEL then to AHL then to NHL. unless maybe he skips the AHL altogether

Old
06-21-2009, 05:08 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Bump

I just read he is going back to Vasteras to play div 2 again. Wouldn't he think of playing SEL or KHL and face a higher level of competition?
He plays for Leksand.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Ruffy

Quote:
that's a little disappointing. The biggest question about him is how he'll match up against better competition so why would he not want to answer that question. This is 3 adjustments he'll have to make. First up to SEL then to AHL then to NHL. unless maybe he skips the AHL altogether
On the other hand, he's going to get alot more responsibility this season. Last season he was expected to play some games in Allsvenskan and the rest in the junior league. This year, he's expected to be one of the leading players on the team, at the young age of 18. Not to mention that he will play on the first PP, BP, first D and play around 20+ mins per game. That wouldn't been the case if he played for a team in the SEL. Not that he isn't good enough, but because Elite League teams just aren't brave enough when it comes to trusting young talent.

Look at MPS situation in Timrå last season. When he played, he was really, really good. But despite that, he didn't see all that much ice time.

Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:28 AM
JaysCyYoung

Every year it seems that there's one or two talents that fly under the radar in September and then slowly progress up the charts to become top picks. Ekman-Larsson is one of those players. He's a great talent but I do wonder how he would fare against superior competition. Personally I think he would be fine. He plays with a lot of poise and confidence with the puck based on the brief viewings I have seen him. Very nice skater too with some mobility and puck-skills, but Swedish posters would be much more knowledgeable on him than me. That's just my brief opinion.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmagorical View Post
Bob also says 'don't be surprised if he's a top 5 pick...

He will probably be picked at the 8/9/10th range.
I would love that because that means one of the top 6 fall to the Leafs

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:54 AM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
He plays for Leksand.
My bad I was thinking of Berglund while I was typing. Do you know if he plans on playing SEL anytime?

Old
06-21-2009, 12:32 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
My bad I was thinking of Berglund while I was typing. Do you know if he plans on playing SEL anytime?
Leksands doesn't have an SEL team, so I'm not sure if he plans to play in Allsvenskan, or maybe play in the CHL? Was he drafted in the CHL import draft does anyone know?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 12:49 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Leksands doesn't have an SEL team, so I'm not sure if he plans to play in Allsvenskan, or maybe play in the CHL? Was he drafted in the CHL import draft does anyone know?
Leksands is an Allsvenskan team that is where he said he will play next season, I dont believe he was drafted in the CHL import draft. Next import draft is after the NHL draft.

Old
06-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Traktor*

Kevin Predergast (Oilers Assistant GM) said recently that Ekman-Larsson wouldn't make it out of the top 10.

Considering Edmonton has the 10th overall pick you can pretty much write OEL into the top 10 at this point.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Ruffy

OEL has stated several times that he's not going anywhere, at least not for next season. What would suit him the most right now would be if he leads Leksand to SEL, then gets a year in the SEL with Leksand before heading overseas.

That would make him an absolute beast. He's not going to go straight into the NHL since he's going to need some time to put on some muscles, but not too much since he pretty much lives for his awesome mobility.

Old
06-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
Kevin Predergast (Oilers Assistant GM) said recently that Ekman-Larsson wouldn't make it out of the top 10.

Considering Edmonton has the 10th overall pick you can pretty much write OEL into the top 10 at this point.
Yeah I was thinking about this too, maybe Edmonton has him 7th or so, but what if someone they have ranked higher is also there? He could slip.

I definitely wouldn't be disappointed if we get OEL and all of Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane, Schenn, MSP and Cowen are gone.

Fayne Gretzky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Isn't this the guy who gets compared to Lidstrom ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Ruffy

Might post this here as well, since I guess the Phoenix board isn't everyones favourite hangout.

I've just finished a video of Oliver Ekman-Larsson. From what I've seen, you guys couldn't have seen all that much of him since the clips on tsn and nhl.com doesn't show... anything, really.

And it's not all that easy to find a video of him or anything, not even if you're Swedish. But after some work I managed to put this together. It's not all that much, but it's something alright. And it lets you get a grip (well, to some extent) on what kind of player he is, how he moves and all that stuff.

Enjoy.

Old
07-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Semper Sens

That video's awesome, thanks for making it.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 07:39 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

And thanks for pointing out OEL on the plays where he is setting up the goal. Nice work.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 07:40 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Isn't this the guy who gets compared to Lidstrom ?
Isn't everyone?

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote