HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Select Brayden Schenn 5th Overall in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft

Old
06-28-2009, 03:37 AM
Madic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
Schenn-sational

I knew perusing this board I'd find some Schenn-related puns already. We went through the same works last June.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
And it's because of stuff like this that people hate Toronto and their fans.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:19 PM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
FREAKIN HIIIILAAAARIIIIOUS!

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:48 PM
IBLeaf*

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/index....6/29/la-story/

New stuff.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Rommel

Stop dream, man.

Want Schenn?

Nazim Kadri + Kulemin + 1st Round Pick 2010 + Kaberle for Preissing + Schenn

And Be Happy..

Last edited by Rommel: 06-29-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 04:51 PM
BlueBomber76

Leafs fan here,

I hope you realize how good of a player you guys got with this kid.

Been watching his progress all year and this kid is the real deal, all the projections out there are nowhere near telling as how good this kid will be.

BTW, I couldn't care less about the sibling thing, this kid will be the hidden gem of this draft.

BANK! (You luck SOB's)

BlueBomber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber76 View Post
Leafs fan here,

I hope you realize how good of a player you guys got with this kid.

Been watching his progress all year and this kid is the real deal, all the projections out there are nowhere near telling as how good this kid will be.

BTW, I couldn't care less about the sibling thing, this kid will be the hidden gem of this draft.

BANK! (You luck SOB's)
Happy to hear this.. thanks..

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Kingjordan

Everyone keeps saying this kid is a perfect 2nd line center.. Do they say this because we have Kopitar playing on 1st line or because his high limit is the 2nd line?

Is this a good or bad thing??

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 07:42 PM
BlueBomber76

He will definitely be on the second line to start the season, but will graduate rather quickly.

BANK!

Old
07-03-2009, 09:50 PM
stormtracker

Another Leaf fan here frustrated that your team got Schenn. It may well be perception on this end and I am happy to be corrected butwhat is frustrating is that while the Leafs and other teams seem to try to be active and take steps to improve themselves the Kings do not seem to be doing anything (for example, no real involvement in this year's free agent derby) and the team just seems to go through the regular season and finish consistently in the bottom five and get quality players. The Leafs turn into the heroes of March when the pressure is off and play to the middle of the pack of the nonplayoff teams. So maybe the answer is to float like the Kings and get those high picks. Again maybe it is optics on my part and frustration at not getting Schenn but passive teams like the Kings seem to do okay in the trade deadline. Your comments are welcome.

stormtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 09:57 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracker View Post
Another Leaf fan here frustrated that your team got Schenn. It may well be perception on this end and I am happy to be corrected butwhat is frustrating is that while the Leafs and other teams seem to try to be active and take steps to improve themselves the Kings do not seem to be doing anything (for example, no real involvement in this year's free agent derby) and the team just seems to go through the regular season and finish consistently in the bottom five and get quality players. The Leafs turn into the heroes of March when the pressure is off and play to the middle of the pack of the nonplayoff teams. So maybe the answer is to float like the Kings and get those high picks. Again maybe it is optics on my part and frustration at not getting Schenn but passive teams like the Kings seem to do okay in the trade deadline. Your comments are welcome.
Because making a move doesn't always = progress? Would the Kings have been any better with Jeff Finger, Niklas Hagman, and Curtis Joseph? Maybe 2 spots better. But not making the playoffs = not making the playoffs

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Thanks for letting us know we're allowed to comment.

The Leafs are going to have to be more consistent losers if they want the better draft picks. Your current GM will not help, he's way too aggressive and will make bold moves to improve the team. You'll still be bad, but not bad enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:03 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Because making a move doesn't always = progress? Would the Kings have been any better with Jeff Finger, Niklas Hagman, and Curtis Joseph? Maybe 2 spots better. But not making the playoffs = not making the playoffs
QFT

Just wanted to add Kings have now had 3 top 5 picks, so I guess quite a bit but priorally we were always in the blackhole like TOR. Furthermore how does LA float they won the last game of the year where had PHO/TOR not also won they would be #7. Two years ago we won the final game to put us ahead of PHO outside of the top 3 and had a pretty similar situation last year with Stamkos/Doughty. Its also public knowledge that LA was one of the teams with negotiating rights to Hossa and they tried hard to sign him. Who is it that they should have signed the prior years? Gomez, Drury, Redden, Gionta, Cammalleri, Campbell, Huet, etc (Just like the guys your team signed all WAY overpaid).

AnThGrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:07 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt View Post
QFT

Just wanted to add Kings have now had 3 top 5 picks, so I guess quite a bit but priorally we were always in the blackhole like TOR. Furthermore how does LA float they won the last game of the year where had PHO/TOR not also won they would be #7. Two years ago we won the final game to put us ahead of PHO outside of the top 3 and had a pretty similar situation last year with Stamkos/Doughty. Its also public knowledge that LA was one of the teams with negotiating rights to Hossa and they tried hard to sign him. Who is it that they should have signed the prior years? Gomez, Drury, Redden, Gionta, Cammalleri, Campbell, Huet, etc (Just like the guys your team signed all WAY overpaid).
We certainly have tried, but you can't just be like Tampa and build from free agency. You have to have a core that can do anything. Adding Chara may have made us a playoff bound team, but a contender? Never.

People may bring up that this "tanking" breeds a losing culture - did we not have one already? Was the enviroment that early Duthtin, Fro, and Cammy raised in not a losing enviroment? With the exception of Deadmarsh and Wayne, the Kings have been a losing team (as far as real success goes). A little more losing isn't going to make the losing any worse

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:13 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
I understand how frustrating it may seem, and I know how things look to other teams when the Kings finish in the top five a few years in a row.

The problem is, you're looking at the past three years when we've had Lombardi, who admittedly didn't inherit the best young players (we have good young players, but not a whole lot of depth in the minors to draw players). We were one of the older teams but still not making the playoffs when Lombardi first took over. You see 07 - 09, when the Kings have picked 4th, 2nd/13th, and 5th. From 03-06, however, we picked 13th/26th/27th (Brown, Tambellini, Boyle), 11th (Tukonen), 11th (Kopitar), and 11th/17th (Bernier/Lewis). And the Kings were still not contenders.

So Lombardi decided to go with a youth movement, trading away players who weren't character guys, investing heavily on scouting, and building through the draft. After keying in on particular core pieces, he's now looking to build by adding solid veteran players... but he doesn't want to overpay or overcommit long term and handicap the team's chances of keeping the core players.

Lombardi is about adding the right players at the right price now. His goal is to make the playoffs this season.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 05:42 AM
CycloneLaunch

stormtracker with the excellent timing

CycloneLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Michigan Wolverine

Quote:
Smyth trade aside, I find it ironic that you seem to endorse free agent activity as THE sign that a team is serious about improving. There has been a whole lot of team-building going on in the last 3 years (and a considerably less-concerted effort the years before Lombardi) that didn't necessarily involve major free agent acquisitions, but they absolutely paved the way for good things to come.

Conversely, I consider Toronto's aggressive participation in free agency to be a sign that they want to "compete" now but aren't so worried about being stuck in the doldrums later.

Michigan Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 09:54 AM
stormtracker

Thanks to all of the thoughtful posters. Nice contrast to other forums where an outsider is attacked for having a contrary thought. Funny how the Smythe trade occurs within an hour of the post. I will say that the Kings know how to draft talent.
I have been a Guelph Storm season ticket holder since 2001 and watched Dustin Brown and Drew Doughty develop as young players. That is now a privilege that Kings fans will have. Enjoy their careers.

stormtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:11 PM
BlueBomber76

I must say, it's been interesting reading these posts.

With the amount of young talent and prospects within the LA system, I would hope to see them in the playoffs continuously over the next couple of years. It'd be nice to see them reap the benefits of this rebuild.

Toronto / L.A. final 2011/12 season, Schenn Vs. Schenn (WOOOHOOOO !!!)

Old
07-04-2009, 11:36 PM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber76 View Post
I must say, it's been interesting reading these posts.

With the amount of young talent and prospects within the LA system, I would hope to see them in the playoffs continuously over the next couple of years. It'd be nice to see them reap the benefits of this rebuild.

Toronto / L.A. final 2011/12 season, Schenn Vs. Schenn (WOOOHOOOO !!!)
It would be like the Love Guru Movie where both teams are in the Stanley Cup!!
If only it wasn't a movie...

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote