HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eric Engels Answering Hickey's from The Gazette

Old
07-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Lafleur77

vCash: 500
Eric Engels Answering Hickey's from The Gazette

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eric-...sarek/82/21959

I totally agree with him.

Lafleur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Universe
Eh?

Yeah he backs up his points well. I have the same feelings towards Komi as what he wrote.

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Bitterman

I just think it's funny as hell that Hickey checks out Eklund's site and actually writes a story around what the Gofer at Team 990 wrote on the blog.

Gainey stated in one of his interviews that none of Koivu, Komi or Kovie sent back a counter offer to what the Habs originally offered. None expressed a desire to return. J.P. Barry is very well known for taking his agents to free agency and getting them max dollars no matter where it is. I'm disappointed that Komi didn't even go to the Islanders and never had any intention of signing in Montreal. Signing in Toronto was just a kick in the tenders.

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterman View Post
I just think it's funny as hell that Hickey checks out Eklund's site and actually writes a story around what the Gofer at Team 990 wrote on the blog.
As far as I know, Engels has his own Radio show at the Team 990, is an accredited member of the press (I think he attends games and PCs as such) and reports for Hockeybuzz, XM Radio, and HabsInsideout (Gazette affiliate).

Say what you will about his writing, but that resume is pretty damn impressive for a guy who started out in the business 2 years ago writing for a hack like Eklund.

Anyways, he showed alot more professionalism in his reporting of the situation than Hickey if you ask me. Considering both have links to the Gazette (Engels through Habs Insideout), brushing him off as "some fan blogger" seems like a slap in the face.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Rgolt

a great read

i dont know if this has been posted yet (dont think so)
well anyways this is Eric Engels latest blog and its a definite must read (its about the Komisarek situation)

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
i dont know if this has been posted yet (dont think so)
well anyways this is Eric Engels latest blog and its a definite must read (its about the Komisarek situation)

and i guess it has lol

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:48 PM
BLONG7

Quote:

Gainey stated in one of his interviews that none of Koivu, Komi or Kovie sent back a counter offer to what the Habs originally offered. None expressed a desire to return. J.P. Barry is very well known for taking his agents to free agency and getting them max dollars no matter where it is. I'm disappointed that Komi didn't even go to the Islanders and never had any intention of signing in Montreal. Signing in Toronto was just a kick in the tenders.
None expressed interest in returning...very interesting...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:50 PM
JFrankel

Quote:

I'm pretty sure he only said that of Komi...
He said they didn't even send an offer to Koivu, and Kovalev responded with a number that was too high for Gainey's liking.

JFrankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
As far as I know, Engels has his own Radio show at the Team 990, is an accredited member of the press (I think he attends games and PCs as such) and reports for Hockeybuzz, XM Radio, and HabsInsideout (Gazette affiliate).
Wow. Engels is second fiddle of the backup crew who does the post game show on Team 990 on weekends when Marinaro & Co aren't working. That is hardly his "own radio show", it's internship.

And no he doesn't report for HabsInsideOut nor is he employed by The Gazette. On just 2 occasions Stubbs made mention of something Engels wrote on HockeyBuzz, the funniest was Engels claim had he had an independent source who told him Roustan had a deal in place to buy the Habs. Oops.

As for XM Radio, I'd be curious to know which show is his. Or do you mean as an occasional sidekick with Eklund? All it goes to show is that you don't need much to claim being a knowledgeable insider with a Blog. He writes well and I have no issues with him other than his supposed background and standing in the sports media. At least it wasn't the purely fictional Bio Eklund ran with when he first started.

Old
07-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrankel View Post
I'm pretty sure he only said that of Komi...
He said they didn't even send an offer to Koivu, and Kovalev responded with a number that was too high for Gainey's liking.
Gainey mentioned in more than one interview that his offer to Kovie was pulled after he failed to respond. In one specific interview Gainey stated that all three failed to respond with counter offers.

Old
07-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Wow. Engels is second fiddle of the backup crew who does the post game show on Team 990 on weekends when Marinaro & Co aren't working. That is hardly his "own radio show", it's internship.

And no he doesn't report for HabsInsideOut nor is he employed by The Gazette. On just 2 occasions Stubbs made mention of something Engels wrote on HockeyBuzz, the funniest was Engels claim had he had an independent source who told him Roustan had a deal in place to buy the Habs. Oops.

As for XM Radio, I'd be curious to know which show is his. Or do you mean as an occasional sidekick with Eklund? All it goes to show is that you don't need much to claim being a knowledgeable insider with a Blog. He writes well and I have no issues with him other than his supposed background and standing in the sports media. At least it wasn't the purely fictional Bio Eklund ran with when he first started.
Actually I remember that article where he said that Roustan was preparing a bid to buy the Canadiens. Roustan, if you recall, was actually one of the final 5 bidders for the team before GG sold it to the Molsons. His source and story was accurate.

He also does the pregame show on Team 990 (I'm pretty sure of that), and yes he does report for Habs Inside/Out. That I am sure of (link: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=17288)

Anyways, he very clearly started out as a fan blogger and has since worked his way up on the Habs journalistic scene. He never claimed nor claims to be an insider of any kind, he writes well and has shown class and professionalism. His standing is pretty clear: He is an accredited member of the press, and has as much access to the team as most reporters covering the Habs do.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
Actually I remember that article where he said that Roustan was preparing a bid to buy the Canadiens. Roustan, if you recall, was actually one of the final 5 bidders for the team before GG sold it to the Molsons. His source and story was accurate.
Unfortunately that's not what Engels said in that HockeyBuzz blog that Boone pointed to at HIO:

Quote:
What has been revealed to me by an independent source, very close to the situation, is that Graeme Roustan has a deal in place to buy the Canadiens, pending approval, and that he will in fact be the next owner of the storied franchise, and of course the Bell Centre which comes with it.
His story and "source" were completely wrong.

Quote:
He also does the pregame show on Team 990 (I'm pretty sure of that), and yes he does report for Habs Inside/Out. That I am sure of (link: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=17288)
Engels fills in for Marinaro and crew on weekends as second banana to Sean Campbell on Team 990 where he's employed as an Intern. He also hasn't submitted a fan blog to HIO in 5 months. My point was that Engels was in fact not part of HIO or the Gazette anymore than the other fan blog submissions that get approved for posting there.

That said, I do like his writing style and imagine he'll eventually get himself connected as he works up the ladder. He is however the least connected member of Team 990 (That's saying something) so to read the Intern's blogs about his "sources" or "inside information" within the Canadiens it just doesn't wash.

Then again, with the explosion of blogs and chat forums we've all seen many instances in the past 2 years where sports reporters who frequent them have been caught using the fan generated rumors as their "sourced information" in articles so Engels and others aren't that far off