HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Bob Gainey talk here.

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2009, 12:16 AM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 50
[ ] interesting
[ ] heard of op before
[x] ban op

Old
07-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Infliction

vCash: 500
I heard earlier today that Montreal was trying to move Roman Hamrlik, but that it was not likely and not to look much into it. Well, fresh off of Dave Pagnotta`s (TFP) twitter is the news that the Pittsburgh Penguins are now looking to fill the void Rob Scuderi has left, and that they will be looking to fill the need through trade. Keep our fingers crossed that Bob pulls one off here! It would free up some much needed cap room to allow us to sign, say, I donno, an Alex Kovalev? I know Gainey has said publicly that he will not be pursuing them but with the cap room, who knows. Even if not Kovalev, we would have the room to re-sign our RFA's plus sign 1-2 defensemen and a forward or vice versa. Details to follow.

Old
07-03-2009, 08:07 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
In a cap world overpaid players are tough to move for value. And anyway, your so-called genius does not believe in trading his assets to get something in return : he trades them when they're at their absolute lowest or more often just patiently awaits the end of their deal then let them walk away for sweet nuttin. That's asset management 101, Bob G style !!
This ^ is Lack of Understanding GM'ing in Todays World 101 AND 102.

Thing is, when you cultivate your own NHL'ers....you want them to work out for YOUR team. But, if they don't....or you are suspect about their upside potential as they're playing for you (Komi good e.g), you're better off timing your contracts to expire at the same time so you can provide yourself a clean slate to work with. That means, you're basically "trading" your old players for new ones by allowing your old players to walk, and then signing new ones, or taking on bigger salaries for ostensibly better players. No matter how you slice it or dice it, we "traded" all those guys for all the new guys we have. And I like the trades.

So, in essence...you're not letting your assets walk for "sweet nuttin"...it's the way you very smartly manage your cap and contracts. Do you think it's a fluke that Gainey wasn't bending over backwards to resign or extend Komi? Anyone that thinks they could had signed him for less before July 1 is seriously out of touch.

Hopefully this makes sense....'cause it's the real mccoy.....but somehow, I don't think you'll get it.

Old
07-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois View Post
overpaid players that are at least considered stars who aren't on the downside of their careers are the type of bargaining chips you need if you want to throw a few prospects and a name player with the necessary cap space at some bottom dwelling team with a superstar that's looking for a rebuild.

all those crazy proposals for Lecavalier or Nash or Carter or Getzlaf can now be semi-legit. that's the position Gainey put is in.
So what Superstar did the Rangers get in this trade?

Lets call it what it was, if Gomez had a 5 million cap hit the Rangers don't make the deal let alone for Higgins and a prospect. It was a salary dump because of an awful contract.

Old
07-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Netro

Funny...after the 24 hour period starting with the Gomez trade and ending with the Gionta signing, I hated each and every move right away (with the exception of the Cammalleri signing). Now, with a few days passing, I may still not like the moves but I am coming to grips with the situation.

(1) We all know that BG wanted to change the culture on the team, and boy did he do so. I know I was in favor of re-signing Koivu, Komisarek at a bare minimum and using the freed up cash on free agents but Gainey decided to clean house. The Habs did get a lot younger in the process. I do find it interesting that so many of the Habs UFA's are still not signed, except Komi. Does this sorta mean something in terms of the players leaving the Habs?

(2) These moves will help bridge the gap to the next wave of prospects. There is a "bit" of a lull in prospect development now...it will take time for the next wave, like Subban, Maxwell etc to establish themselves in the NHL. We may see them soon, but they won't necessarily be established soon

(3) I agree with BG's strategy of spending money on some top end scorers and using the young cheap assets to round out the roster. This is the advantage the Habs have with Pacioretty, D'Ago, Lapierre, Latendresse etc...Having these young players is a big advantage

So, the issue is not the strategy, it's the implementation of the strategy. Did BG go after the right people in Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Spacek and Gill? Did he pay too much? Are the contracts too long? Did he give up too many assets in getting Gomez? Would we have been happier if it was Lecavalier, Havlat, Cammalleri, Scuderi and Aucoin?

(1) Gomez - One the best skaters in the league. Brings the puck through the neutral zone. Great vision. Only 29, so the next 3-5 years are his prime years. Awful contract (but 5 years compared to Lecavalier's 11). The only concern I have with the deal is giving up McDonaugh. A highly touted D man prospect. I have no idea but is he not developing well? Higgins clearly was getting traded because he would have left as a UFA after 09-10 and/or he is one of the "bad apples" on the team. I think Gomez will bounce back with a 20 G-60 A year on the Hab.

(2) Cammalleri - Only 27, an offensive player who had success in LA as well as in Calgary. Good scoring touch, can skate and can play both wing and centre. Excellent on Faceoffs. Perhaps a slight overpayment for him but I think this was Gainey's best move of the week. I think a 70-80 point season is also in the cards for him.

(3) Gionta - Probably my least favorite move by BG. 30 years old, can skate with the best in the league, but very small. If this team had size, would be less of a concern. Good knack for the net and scored 48 goals with Gomez as his centre in NJ. Since he earned $4 million last season, the salary of the contract seems fair but boy would I prefer only 3 years instead of 5. I'd expect the same as last season...20ish goals and 60ish points.

(4) Spacek/Gill - I'll group these signings together. Spacek is going to help the PP, he has a good shot and will work well with Markov. Gill, a slow tall player should help the penalty kill. Gill hasn't struggled as much as expected in the post lockout NHL. Should one of the youngsters establish themselves this year, Gill shouldn't be hard to move at the trade deadline.

It will be interesting to see what happens the rest of the summer and we can only reserve final judgement once we see the product on the ice.

I am still not happy overall (and I am little concerned about management now, for the first time, as I am a BG supporter) but I am not nearly as angry today as I was on Canada Day.

Old
07-03-2009, 12:39 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
So what Superstar did the Rangers get in this trade?

Lets call it what it was, if Gomez had a 5 million cap hit the Rangers don't make the deal let alone for Higgins and a prospect. It was a salary dump because of an awful contract.
The got Gaborik.

Old
07-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infliction View Post
I heard earlier today that Montreal was trying to move Roman Hamrlik, but that it was not likely and not to look much into it. Well, fresh off of Dave Pagnotta`s (TFP) twitter is the news that the Pittsburgh Penguins are now looking to fill the void Rob Scuderi has left, and that they will be looking to fill the need through trade. Keep our fingers crossed that Bob pulls one off here! It would free up some much needed cap room to allow us to sign, say, I donno, an Alex Kovalev? I know Gainey has said publicly that he will not be pursuing them but with the cap room, who knows. Even if not Kovalev, we would have the room to re-sign our RFA's plus sign 1-2 defensemen and a forward or vice versa. Details to follow.
no freakin way Pittsburgh takes on Hammer's contract.

Old
07-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Infliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
no freakin way Pittsburgh takes on Hammer's contract.
Didn't say it would be easy but anything can happen. He would definitely fill the void as he is a better overall player than Scuderi. Personally, I'd be 100% down to get little to nothing back for him. Draft picks or something, not high ones. Maybe a 3rd and 4th rounder in 2010. Unload the contract and use the cap space. Honestly, I don't think its impossible to do. Bob has pulled of some crazy trades before, such as the Kovalev acquisition.

Old
07-03-2009, 05:38 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
The got Gaborik.
In a related story, Gaborik went for a skate today with 7 year olds, and was seen leaving the ice, reports are he tweaked his groin...updates at 11.00 tonight on Sportscentre...

Old
07-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
The got Gaborik.
did they trade for him? No. Thats right we were talking trading bloated salaries for Superstars.

Old
07-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Stradale

It is me or almost every players and coaches that left the Habs with Gainey as GM left the team in a very negative way?

Julien and Carbonneau was fired in a very.. harsh way..

Koivu is leaving this team after 10 years of captaincy.. Gainey has no word for him. No thanks, no gratitude.. no offer.. hes not even mentionning Saku's name.

Kovalev is leaving aswell.. while we all know Kovalev wanted to stay here.

He brought Lang, Tanguay, Schneider last season thinking they would help the team and now he doesnt seem to know who these guys are..

Komisarek doesnt want to come back and rather play for the enemy.. im pretty sure Komisarek would still be a Habs and would cost around 3.5M$ if Gainey gave him an offer during the season..

Ribeiro, Rivet, Souray Streit, Komisarek.. except for Rivet, were lost for nothing...

I dont know.. Gainey and his calm and doesnt give a **** attitude really bothers me... His "I dont negociate in the season" philosophy cost him a lot of players.. How can a player be loyal to this team when the GMs acts like that? Komisarek is a priority for Gainey but he waited 7 days until the deadline to start negociating.. and then he trades his bestfriend the day before the deadline.. yeah.. of course the guy will still want to stay here.. Seriously.. I would leave this team aswell..

He's to scare to gamble by talking Havlat or Gaborik but so he took Gomez and give up McDonagh.. gave a lot of money in the next 5 years for Cammaleri and Gionta.. that isnt a gamble?

He will never build a playoff team for this club let alone a contender team. All the players that he brings to this club are secondary players... that has no upside.. that the best days are probably behind..

I hope the Molson family fires him soon. At this rate, I am SURE that Markov will be gone at the end of his contract. Price will leave this team as soon as he will be an UFAs.

Last edited by Stradale: 07-04-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old
07-04-2009, 08:14 AM
GNick42

Gainey has been a different person since his daughter was lost. As good as he is he could never deal with it. Anybody who knows him would be quick to agree.

Old
07-04-2009, 08:41 AM
LeMAD

Fire Gainey!

Closed Thread