HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regarding Koivu

Old
07-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
It's a bad idea, imo. K>P now, but if the little girl gets going, he'll be the more effective player over the next three years. Plus, having Saku back will prevent a real "turning of the page".
Gneh, I have a feeling Maxwell will be a much better player in the near future. Within the next 2 years he should have the number 2 spot, and then there is Louis Leblanc in 3-4 years... Saku would be real nice for 2nd/3rd line during that time.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:55 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchedNerve View Post
This is awesome. It would totally be appropriate, considering Koivu IS the Habs for the younger generation. He's been a role model for me, to say the least.
If it were a younger franchise, I'd be totally down with that, but this is the Canadiens and there's not a guy up in the rafters that's not also in the Hall of Fame. I love Koivu's game to death, but he's just not in that class.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
no offense but that banner would look way better if the years weren't completely off center from each other

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Toro

Gainey is if nothing if not classy.

I am not sure that Gainey's 3 speedy smurfs are the answer but there obviously needs to be an identity uplift.Its just most of us wish it included Koivu but he is part of the identity that needs changing apparently.

I love my Habs and i will cheer for them regardless but I want to see bobs team on the ice before i write them off. They might be skilled and fast enough to do great things. I bet they are going to be fast and exciting to watch. The injection on Defence is good for this attack too. There are puckmovers on all the pairings now. Weber will come alive this season. Lats is key too. He should keep progressing as he had a terrific year last year. He really upped his skating and mobility and matured defensively as he was great in the shutdown/offence role. He really became a leader on the ice. I have big expectations of him this year.

I'm excited about the team and that is a good thing. I have to have faith in Bob, I believe.

the team is really really fast now, by far the fastest in the league.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
If it were a younger franchise, I'd be totally down with that, but this is the Canadiens and there's not a guy up in the rafters that's not also in the Hall of Fame. I love Koivu's game to death, but he's just not in that class.
bingo..Koivu was a great hab and all but a number retirement he does not deserve.

Old
07-03-2009, 08:16 PM
smon

One great Hab didn't like the way Koivu's departure was handled.

Quote:
Many fans demand a player's absolute, blind loyalty to their club, which is ridiculous. This is an era when teams aren't even loyal to their fans, letting cornerstone stars slip away because they don't fit a new system, its payroll structure or business model.

You could start that argument, if not finish it, with Canadiens captain Saku Koivu, who this week has been sent packing after 13 years of being the inspirational, quite courageous face of his club through more thin times than thick.

"That's hurt me very much," Canadiens icon Dickie Moore said yesterday of the casual see-ya to Koivu, who in 1999 was named the club's 27th captain.

"This is awful. In life, you get back what you give, and I don't know what the Canadiens are going to get for doing this to Saku. What he wanted is what we all do in life: to feel wanted. I don't understand the Canadiens' philosophy about letting him go. I would like to even talk to the Molsons about this."
http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sport...570/story.html

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:22 PM
JWhelan

It will kill me to see Koivu in another jersey, please bring him back. He needs to retire a hab!

JWhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:14 PM
King Of The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhelan View Post
It will kill me to see Koivu in another jersey, please bring him back. He needs to retire a hab!
^^ Seriously look at Sakic & Yzerman....they we're captains of there teams when they got there ... and they stayed with there whole organizations there whole careers, maybe even at one point their organization didn't want them or whatever, who knows, they found a way to make it work and stick with them....Saku deserves the same IMO even if he isn't in there category as a player, hes in there category as a captain

King Of The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Koivu>>>>>>>Plekanec. That's my only issue. If plek were replaced by say a big talented 2nd line center with a fair amount of grit, I'd say fine but we got a 1st line center, but now i'm not confident in our second line center anymore.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Phousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
It's sad that a lot of people here like Saku more than the Habs. Personally, I don't wish the Habs lose against his future team, nor do I wish a cup for him, I'd rather that happen here.
It's sad that people feel more of a connection with a human being than a faceless entity? I like the Habs as much as a anyone, but I can't say enough of what Saku has meant to me and my love for them.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:51 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffle View Post
It's sad that people feel more of a connection with a human being than a faceless entity? I like the Habs as much as a anyone, but I can't say enough of what Saku has meant to me and my love for them.
+1. Some of us cheer for more than just a logo on a jersey.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Maliki2

Has anyone thought for a moment that he wasn't as great of a leader as you thought? I have. And I think that is exactly why they got rid of him. I'm sure management approached him about the teams problems last year (and yes regardless of what alot of you think, the captain is there to hold the team together off and on the ice). Maybe Koivu couldn't do that and that is one of the reasons why he was let go. There is no doubt that we had alot of off ice issues, and Koivu wasn't holding the team together.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Gainey is if nothing if not classy.

I am not sure that Gainey's 3 speedy smurfs are the answer but there obviously needs to be an identity uplift.Its just most of us wish it included Koivu but he is part of the identity that needs changing apparently.

I love my Habs and i will cheer for them regardless but I want to see bobs team on the ice before i write them off. They might be skilled and fast enough to do great things. I bet they are going to be fast and exciting to watch. The injection on Defence is good for this attack too. There are puckmovers on all the pairings now. Weber will come alive this season. Lats is key too. He should keep progressing as he had a terrific year last year. He really upped his skating and mobility and matured defensively as he was great in the shutdown/offence role. He really became a leader on the ice. I have big expectations of him this year.

I'm excited about the team and that is a good thing. I have to have faith in Bob, I believe.

the team is really really fast now, by far the fastest in the league.
I heard about these speedy Habs the last two years, and they were one of the slowest teams in the league. I don't get it.

Old
07-04-2009, 12:01 AM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Has anyone thought for a moment that he wasn't as great of a leader as you thought? I have. And I think that is exactly why they got rid of him. I'm sure management approached him about the teams problems last year (and yes regardless of what alot of you think, the captain is there to hold the team together off and on the ice). Maybe Koivu couldn't do that and that is one of the reasons why he was let go. There is no doubt that we had alot of off ice issues, and Koivu wasn't holding the team together.
ya, a grown man with a family was let go after being captain for 10 years because he couldn't babysit a bunch of 20 year olds every night of the week.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
ya, a grown man with a family was let go after being captain for 10 years because he couldn't babysit a bunch of 20 year olds every night of the week.
So every grown man with a family is a great leader? umm k.

Old
07-04-2009, 12:14 AM
habtastic

Quote:
So every grown man with a family is a great leader? umm k.
I fail to see the tautology there. I think you missed his point.

Koivu's job was not to take care of the alleged behaviour of a bunch of brats. It's funny how all of the other real leaders of this team have always pointed to Koivu as one of the greatest leaders.

I hope Moore follows up with the Molsons. It's not too late is it? Of course now it would look terrible if he came back. He doesn't deserve this, but man I wish the city would protest this. It wouldn't be the first time a player's worth has spilled over into community displays. I just don't know how Bob missed the boat on this. He was doing ok until this catastrophic f up. Saku would have been the lowest signing between tanguay, kovy and him. No brainer. So much bang for your buck. I am also trying to come to grips with this new team identity. I don't feel like a Habs fan the way I used to. I remember when Roy left, I think I was 11 or 12. Similar confusion emotionally although this was a rational decision.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 02:10 AM
Toro

Quote:
I heard about these speedy Habs the last two years, and they were one of the slowest teams in the league. I don't get it.
regardless of what you think happened in the last few years. This team is built on speed. All 3 new smurfs are really fast. Pleks is fast Laps is fast, A kost is fast, Paccioretti is fast. Lats is not fast but he has improved his speed and mobility and will continue to do so. Laraque or Chipchura is not fast by any stretch. S. Kost is average speed. That pretty much makes our top 2 lines extremely fast and pretty decent speed elsewhere with Lapierre headlining the 3rd line with his speed. Our offence will be achieved with speed and skill. Like no other.

Old
07-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
It won't!! Koivu doesn't have the endurance to play a full season anymore....and the little offence he will produce in 50 games a season isn't worth losing sleep over.

I'd be more upset if we kept him on the Habs roster and he only played 50 games and scored 45 points than I would be for letting him go to another team. He's not the player that he used to be and this is a business. Gainey made a smart business decision by not re-signing him and going after younger, more talented hockey players and building a new core for the team to build around.

Some people think its the end of the world that Koivu isn't coming back....but its not. Its a very smart move by a smart GM. Since Gainey took over as GM....he has continuously improved the team....so much that we finished 1st in the East 2 seasons ago. When was the last time that happened? A long time ago.

There are other players out there who I would have rathered Gainey sign....but if those players aren't interested in coming to Montreal....there is very little Gainey can do to change their minds. He went after the best players available who were willing to play in Montreal next season. Either way you look at it....the Habs are a much improved team.

So when did Gainey realize he had blundered in trading for Tanguay? Why does he still have the almost useless Laraque? How long will it take him to see that some of his new players aren't that hot after all?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 02:28 AM
Stradale

Quote:
No.. especially when an honest guy like Begin can say that Koivu is a great leader you have no choice to believe him. When guys great leaders like Souray and Rivet was on Koivu's side, theres must be a reason. When a punkass like Grabovski said the only player he respects in the Habs is Koivu, Koivu must has done something good.

The only guy that didnt like Koivu was probably Ribeiro and his childish attitude when he was in Montreal.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 02:35 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
One great Hab didn't like the way Koivu's departure was handled.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sport...570/story.html
I agree.

I do not like at all the way Gainey treated Koivu. Koivu was the captain of the Habs over 10 years and its okay if Gainey decided to let him go but I am VERY surprised that he didnt talk at all about Koivu and his situation. He did not say something like we decided to take another direction and give Koivu an oppurtunity to have success somewhere else. Nothing.. nada..

Like i said in the Gainey thread, a lot of players left the Habs in bitterness because of Gainey.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:05 AM
GNick42

I was just doing the lines up for fun...holy crap team will look totally different out there next year. No Koivu...No Kovalev...No Komisake

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:38 AM
MayorFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
No.. especially when an honest guy like Begin can say that Koivu is a great leader you have no choice to believe him. When guys great leaders like Souray and Rivet was on Koivu's side, theres must be a reason. When a punkass like Grabovski said the only player he respects in the Habs is Koivu, Koivu must has done something good.

The only guy that didnt like Koivu was probably Ribeiro and his childish attitude when he was in Montreal.
are you kidding me? have you ever heard a player say that "oh this captain is a terrible leader" ?? no one is gonna say that, especially if they are still looking for a contract in the NHL.

no player is gonna tell you whos a bad captain, the fans just gotta use their intuition. koivu led this team nowhere. thats the bottom line.

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Canadienjet

Growing up I admired Saku and I always will.However that being said things dont end the way we want them to.Will it be weird seeing Saku in another teams uniform?Hell yes.But its a reality in sports and in life.It's best for both parties Saku deserves to win and Montreal needs a new direction.

The way I see it is one era is ending but another one will begin.Weither this era will be good or bad time will tell.Saku will always be a hab no matter what and I will cheer for him no matter where he goes.We should celebrate all that Saku did for not only this team but the community in general.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 10:39 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
Something is wrong with you if you cheer for the name and not the logo.

The Montreal Canadiens are bigger than any player ever.

To wish us to lose even one game is unbecoming of a Habs fan even if it is at the hands of Koivu.

Why don't you say "I wish we win the cup next year" as opposed to "I wish Koivu and Teemu win the cup next year".

"habs" fans...
It's not about Koivu being bigger than the Habs.

Koivu has been my favorite player (by a huge margin) for over a decade. Throughout this time, he has received soooo much unfounded criticism from haters that I would be happy to see him have a huge season next year (even get a GWG against us in a meaningless regular season game).

Obviously, I would cheer for the Habs if we met his team in the playoffs, but any team he signs with will now be my second favorite team.
Do you not think that Bruins fans were hoping for Bourque to win a cup with Colorado?

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote