HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Lightning Sign Ohlund

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Off Center

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 View Post
I love Ohlund so much that I can't help but root for you guys next year. I see him being such a GREAT influence for Hedman. It'll be hard for me to see Ohlund in a different jersey, but he just wasn't a good fit for Vancouver anymore. His lack of foot-speed has been talked about to death, but if he's paired with a quicker defenseman, then his sound positional game will make up for his lead feet.

You guys got a real character player who will benefit your dressing room greatly. Really sucks to see him go.

God luck next year, guys!
was he a top pair or 2nd pairing guy lately?

Old
07-02-2009, 02:14 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Center View Post
was he a top pair or 2nd pairing guy lately?
Top 4 generally, but for stretches he would get more ice time than any other defenceman or at least be very close at 22-24 mins a game.

Old
07-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Mr Underhill

Anybody have any idea when the presser might be?

Old
07-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
Anybody have any idea when the presser might be?
Not sure about a press conference, but Ohlund will be here during the prospects camp July 9-13. No specific day was mentioned in the email that I received.

Old
07-03-2009, 02:40 AM
Kiefer

I don't care much about Canuck fans views on Ohlund to be honest.
He was loved for many years, and now they think he is declining. Way to treat a vet for the club. As usual.

I've followed Canucks alot last years since Naslund, Ohlund and the Sedins have played there. I have rarely shared the same view as the most vocal fans there. Bunch of youngsters IMO.

From what I've read so far in Swedish media, Ohlund is very excited to join Tampa, in fact he said he was hoping Tampa would be one of the teams that would call him.

I especially like this quote from the article posted before:
Quote:
I spoke to Brian and I felt like this was a good situation for me. I felt this was the team that wanted me and wanted me to be a big part of the organization and that’s all I needed to hear.

Old
07-03-2009, 05:23 AM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
I don't care much about Canuck fans views on Ohlund to be honest.
He was loved for many years, and now they think he is declining. Way to treat a vet for the club. As usual.

I've followed Canucks alot last years since Naslund, Ohlund and the Sedins have played there. I have rarely shared the same view as the most vocal fans there. Bunch of youngsters IMO.

From what I've read so far in Swedish media, Ohlund is very excited to join Tampa, in fact he said he was hoping Tampa would be one of the teams that would call him.

I especially like this quote from the article posted before:
Kiefer,

You're more than welcome to share a different opinion I've seen Ohlund play in at least 500 games since he came into the NHL in 1997. When the Canucks picked up Shane O'Brien from Tampa, the first place I sought a scouting report was from Tampa fans. Only makes sense to get a report from the fans who watch him play the most, right?

Back to Ohlund... I'll reiterate that he's my favorite Canuck of all-time. I have no hidden agenda here. The fact of the matter is that Ohlund's best years are behind him. You can say that of a lot of current NHL'ers. Scott Neidermayer is on the decline too, but I'd kill to have him on my team. Players decline, it's a fact of life.

The Canucks currently have a pretty slow defense. It didn't make sense for us to re-sign Ohlund when there is no player to compliment his style. Also, It was becoming increasingly hard for our coach to distribute the minutes around as Edler was beginning to take over Ohlund's role. (Ohlund did a heck of a job mentoring Edler and it looks like the student became the master)

Ohlund averaged 21 minutes per game last year. To this day, he was always the guy we sent out to shut down Jarome Iginla. Ohlund is very good at neutralizing players who play a power based game. Ohlund was Iggy's kyryptonite. In fact, 25% of his points last year came against Calgary.

On the downside, Ohlund's weakness is containing speedy players...ie) The Marty St Louis' of the world. Rather than letting them blow by him, he will usually obstruct them to avoid a scoring chance. It's just a fact of life, and you guys will have to get used to it like we did. But really, that's the biggest complaint right there. Aside from that, I wouldn't be surprised if Ohlund could pot 10+ goals in the Southeast Division.

Provided you paired him with a proper defenseman, I could see him logging 23-25 minutes a game for you guys. But the biggest payoff is that this is the exact person you want to mentor Hedman.

Old
07-03-2009, 06:04 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 View Post
But the biggest payoff is that this is the exact person you want to mentor Hedman.
I rate this as more important than what he brings to the ice actually, Hedman will benefit a lot from it.

07-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

As 1998 states here above, I think Öhlund needs a fast partner but with him supposedly playing the part of Victor's mentor, I see them as perfect pairing.

I'm pretty much a neutral, but find myself turning into a bit of a closet Lightnings fan. So many players I really like such as Stamkos, St Louis and Lecavallier on your team bundled with your new Swedish duo (love Hedman).. Irresistible really. Can't believe you had such a bad season last year.

Only problem might be in the depth department. How much money do you guys have left to burn?

Old
07-03-2009, 06:33 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
As 1998 states here above, I think Öhlund needs a fast partner but with him supposedly playing the part of Victor's mentor, I see them as perfect pairing.

I'm pretty much a neutral, but find myself turning into a bit of a closet Lightnings fan. So many players I really like such as Stamkos, St Louis and Lecavallier on your team bundled with your new Swedish duo (love Hedman).. Irresistible really. Can't believe you had such a bad season last year.

Only problem might be in the depth department. How much money do you guys have left to burn?
It was a good thing as we got Hedman, and no one has any idea how much money they have left to burn. Only the most optimistic part of me thought we would sign Ohlund, let alone Ohlund+

Last edited by bassassin: 07-03-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old
07-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post

They have the space to make more moves but I don't think they want to. We really did horrible because of so many injuries. We had a LOT of key injuries, extended ones at that.

Old
07-03-2009, 10:18 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
It was a good thing as we got Hedman, and no one has any idea how much money they have left to burn. Only the most optimistic part of me thought we would sign Ohlund, let alone Ohlund+
This is what I don't understand...it was great that we were able to offer Ohlund that much money and sign Matt Walker considering all the rumours that were out there regarding our finances yet they were supposedly in the bidding for Hossa which would not have been chump change. Seems like we're getting a mixed message....

Old
07-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
This is what I don't understand...it was great that we were able to offer Ohlund that much money and sign Matt Walker considering all the rumours that were out there regarding our finances yet they were supposedly in the bidding for Hossa which would not have been chump change. Seems like we're getting a mixed message....
Seems like canadian media is sending a mixed message. They won't think twice to trash us. Even when we did well, we got **** on. Notice how the owner of the Stars/Rangers is going through serious financial issues right now, yet you hear nothing about it? Yeah, the posterchild of southern success doesn't get **** on.

Old
07-04-2009, 09:47 AM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Seems like canadian media is sending a mixed message. They won't think twice to trash us. Even when we did well, we got **** on. Notice how the owner of the Stars/Rangers is going through serious financial issues right now, yet you hear nothing about it? Yeah, the posterchild of southern success doesn't get **** on.
Yeah....ever since Phil threw a puch at MacKenzie we haven't been given any slack from the Canadian media...

Old
07-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Yeah....ever since Phil threw a puch at MacKenzie we haven't been given any slack from the Canadian media...
I love Phil. The Godfather.

Closed Thread