HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens re-sign Fedotenko for 1 year

Old
07-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Because adding guys like Fedotenko is what took you guys from the laughing stock of the league to the cup. Minnesota has plenty of Fedotenkos (Nolan, Brunette,Miettinen, Clutterbuck) they are short on the Malkins and Crosbys

Did not know they were wingers?

Maybe try Ovechkins & Kovalchuks?

Everything does not have to be about Crosby & Malkin.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:33 PM
moonknight31

i personally am glad we resigned him

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Its a complete and utter steal of a contract. Sherohas been doing tremendously well. Couldn't extend Scuderi and Gill at anywhere near the rates they got, and our forwards are who won us the cup. Still a bottom pairing defenseman and cheap backup pairing goalie to sign (perhaps Curry from WBS). Then Pesonen and Lovejoy are added in camp while Dupuis is traded or waived, and we're good to go.

Looking very good inded.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:55 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Once again, who beat the Red Wings? Did the Penguins stars outclass the Wings stars? No, it was a push. Z, Datsyuk and Lidstrom played Crosby, Malkin and Gonchar to a draw. The difference? Talbot, Staal, Kennedy, Letang, Scuderi... and Ruslan Fedotenko.
Look, Pittsburgh won the cup and your 3rd line was great against Detroit, you dont have to convince me that you have a good team. My point is that Having guys like Malkin and Crosby allows the pens to have guys like fedotenko on the top 2 lines. The wild do not have centers like that so signing a guy like Fedotenko to play in our top six would have been a mistake in my opinion.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:05 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
Did not know they were wingers?

Maybe try Ovechkins & Kovalchuks?

Everything does not have to be about Crosby & Malkin.
WOW, Really
my point was that when you have the 2 best centers in the world you dont have to have GREAT wingers to put together a good line. Everything doesnt have to be about Malkin and Crosby but the fact remains "switch" your top 2 centers with just about any team in the league and the Pens struggle to make the playoffs

Old
07-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
WOW, Really
my point was that when you have the 2 best centers in the world you dont have to have GREAT wingers to put together a good line. Everything doesnt have to be about Malkin and Crosby but the fact remains "switch" your top 2 centers with just about any team in the league and the Pens struggle to make the playoffs
I bet if you take away the top two best players from most teams they would struggle to make the playoffs. Devils fans, how good is your team without Parise and Brodeur? Wings fans just told us how hampered their team was missing Datsyuk and Lidstrom. Washington without Backstrom and Ovechkin? Boston without Chara and Thomas?

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 12:12 AM
JiBBa

Quote:
I bet if you take away the top two best players from most teams they would struggle to make the playoffs. Devils fans, how good is your team without Parise and Brodeur? Wings fans just told us how hampered their team was missing Datsyuk and Lidstrom. Washington without Backstrom and Ovechkin? Boston without Chara and Thomas?

JiBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Firebird

Quote:
WOW, Really
The Pens lost Crosby to injury for almost half the year last year....and they were nearly the best team in the conference during his injury.

So, I must ask, do you know what you are talking about?

Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 01:01 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
The Pens lost Crosby to injury for almost half the year last year....and they were nearly the best team in the conference during his injury.

So, I must ask, do you know what you are talking about?
He might. Do you recall Malkin playing like an absolute ****ing maniac in that stretch? Malkin + great goaltending won games for them then.

I don't know why this is such an a touchy topic. The Penguins went into the Finals with two tanks and an assortment of Glocks and BB guns, and the Red Wings were all armed with shotguns and rifles. The tanks won, but that doesn't mean the BB guns alongside them are comparable to a decent rifle.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 01:31 AM
J22

Quote:
I didnt say 2 best players i said top 2 centers. Thats a huge difference. Most if not all other teams 2nd line center is not their 2nd best player and is definitely not one of the 3 best players in the world. I also said "switch" not take away. Lets use my team the wild as an example. Malkin and Crosby "switch" with Koivu and Sheppard, now is a guy like Fedotenko good enough to produce top 6 numbers with centers like that?

Old
07-04-2009, 02:13 AM
czapski

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
We now have our top 3 lines and top 4 dmen all intact after winning the cup. Alot better than last year when everyone thought we had no chance.

Judging by playing time in Playoffs you lost your top2dmen.

czapski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Quote:
I didnt say 2 best players i said top 2 centers. Thats a huge difference. Most if not all other teams 2nd line center is not their 2nd best player and is definitely not one of the 3 best players in the world. I also said "switch" not take away. Lets use my team the wild as an example. Malkin and Crosby "switch" with Koivu and Sheppard, now is a guy like Fedotenko good enough to produce top 6 numbers with centers like that?
So what you're saying is that for a player to prove he is a top 6 forward, he has to produce better than ... what, 40-50 points, while playing with players who are not top 6 forwards? Seems strange. Guess Mike Knuble is a third liner, since he's always played with good players. Or you could always actually watch the game instead of the stats line.

Ironically, Fedotenko's already played on a worse team than the Wild, and put up 16 goals in 67 games. Not great numbers, but no one had great numbers on that team.

Old
07-04-2009, 07:20 AM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by czapski View Post
Sergei Gonchar got traded?

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by czapski View Post
You started a new account merely to be disingenuous?
Scuderi was second in ice-time and Gill was fourth in the playoffs.
Gill merely seven seconds ahead of Letang, Eaton a little more than a minute further down.

In the regular season neither played this much, and with a healthy Gonchar being our top PK-guy, the wouldn't have to play as much.
They were our shut down line in the playoffs because of Sarge's injury. Otherwise they would be what they had been throughout - our third pairing who saw serious PK time. That's what we've lost - PK ability and a third pairing. Goligoski has more talent than both of them but together - we'll just have to play differently to use that... or more like it, play the same way on all three pairings rather than have one that is good around the net and worthless with the puck.

In any case, for 'the big problem' on the Pens being the absence of a guy everyone has laughed at for several years (Gill), or a guy few outside of Pens fans knew existed before the playoffs (Scuderi) is a welcome change from talking about us having no top six forwards.
Guess that kinda died when the present guys had 15,14,14 and 13 points, the latter leading the finals in goal scoring.

Old
07-04-2009, 10:19 AM
J22

Quote:
So what you're saying is that for a player to prove he is a top 6 forward, he has to produce better than ... what, 40-50 points, while playing with players who are not top 6 forwards? Seems strange. Guess Mike Knuble is a third liner, since he's always played with good players. Or you could always actually watch the game instead of the stats line.

Ironically, Fedotenko's already played on a worse team than the Wild, and put up 16 goals in 67 games. Not great numbers, but no one had great numbers on that team.
All i am saying is that Fedotenko is not a very good top 6 player for the Penguins even though he plays with Sid, or Geno. Therefor in my opinion he would not have been a good top 6 option for the Wild.

Old
07-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
All i am saying is that Fedotenko is not a very good top 6 player for the Penguins even though he plays with Sid, or Geno. Therefor in my opinion he would not have been a good top 6 option for the Wild.
He is what he is. A second/third line player depending on the team he is on. Which amounts to me agreeing and disagreeing with you. He would not be more than serviceable to the Wild. He is a good top six player for us, because the alternative provided by the reality that is the cap is that Dupuis would be there. He has chemistry with Geno, works hard and can score some. Really that is all that matters with his cap-hit. For us.
Feds has a great track record in the playoffs and just came through - shining - again. Our MO for the current and hopefully the foreseeable future is for that to be a priority. Perhaps more so than the Wild.
Looking at his use as a cheap UFA signing for the Pens by hypothesizing about his worth elsewhere....at what would certainly be a higher salary... doesn't make much sense. LA will find that out with the eminently lovable Scuderi who is nowhere worth that contract.

Old
07-04-2009, 10:38 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliam Shakesbeer View Post
He might. Do you recall Malkin playing like an absolute ****ing maniac in that stretch? Malkin + great goaltending won games for them then.
I don't know why this is such an a touchy topic. The Penguins went into the Finals with two tanks and an assortment of Glocks and BB guns, and the Red Wings were all armed with shotguns and rifles. The tanks won, but that doesn't mean the BB guns alongside them are comparable to a decent rifle.
That's what happens when have a player like Malkin and a goaltender like Fleury. Staal also stepped his play up to fill in the 2nd center role.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Dingleberry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
That's what happens when have a player like Malkin and a goaltender like Fleury. Staal also stepped his play up to fill in the 2nd center role.
Fleury was also hurt most of that time, it was Conklin who gave us great goaltending.

Dingleberry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:38 AM
cdenn15

Who cares? Feds was a good signing for us, took a discount when we didn't have much cap space, played well until broken hand/seems to be adjusting nicely to coach DBs system, and is a nice complimentary player to our big guns who plays well in the playoffs.

cdenn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Lol Staal was playing like a total bust during that time...

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliam Shakesbeer View Post

Because I thought everyone agreed that it was the BB guns who outplayed the rifles! What did the Wings fans, the people who have the most reason to be enraged and knock everything about the team, what did they say? They said that the Penguins depth outplayed the Wings depth.

Old
07-04-2009, 05:00 PM
kmillzy5

Quote:
WOW, Really
pointless argument. we went half the 2007-2008 season , without Sid. . . and yes Malkin took the reigns. . oh yeah we were the 2nd seed in the East by the way.

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 05:34 PM
hockeydadx2*

Kings fans need not worry about the Penguins. We will do just fine. Hopefully Rod Scuderi will help you guys get into the playoffs for a change.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 07:55 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
Kings fans need not worry about the Penguins. We will do just fine. Hopefully Rod Scuderi will help you guys get into the playoffs for a change.
I don't think he'll have much impact at all.

Rob Scuderi, on the other hand, could be a handy player for them.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:56 PM
hockeydadx2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
I don't think he'll have much impact at all.

Rob Scuderi, on the other hand, could be a handy player for them.
Perhaps the only set of twin defensemen ever.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote