HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens re-sign Fedotenko for 1 year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2009, 09:40 PM
  #76
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Because adding guys like Fedotenko is what took you guys from the laughing stock of the league to the cup. Minnesota has plenty of Fedotenkos (Nolan, Brunette,Miettinen, Clutterbuck) they are short on the Malkins and Crosbys

Did not know they were wingers?


Maybe try Ovechkins & Kovalchuks?

Everything does not have to be about Crosby & Malkin.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:33 PM
  #77
moonknight31
Registered User
 
moonknight31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 10,292
vCash: 500
i personally am glad we resigned him

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:38 PM
  #78
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,698
vCash: 500
Its a complete and utter steal of a contract. Sherohas been doing tremendously well. Couldn't extend Scuderi and Gill at anywhere near the rates they got, and our forwards are who won us the cup. Still a bottom pairing defenseman and cheap backup pairing goalie to sign (perhaps Curry from WBS). Then Pesonen and Lovejoy are added in camp while Dupuis is traded or waived, and we're good to go.

Looking very good inded.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:55 PM
  #79
J22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Once again, who beat the Red Wings? Did the Penguins stars outclass the Wings stars? No, it was a push. Z, Datsyuk and Lidstrom played Crosby, Malkin and Gonchar to a draw. The difference? Talbot, Staal, Kennedy, Letang, Scuderi... and Ruslan Fedotenko.
Look, Pittsburgh won the cup and your 3rd line was great against Detroit, you dont have to convince me that you have a good team. My point is that Having guys like Malkin and Crosby allows the pens to have guys like fedotenko on the top 2 lines. The wild do not have centers like that so signing a guy like Fedotenko to play in our top six would have been a mistake in my opinion.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:05 PM
  #80
J22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
Did not know they were wingers?


Maybe try Ovechkins & Kovalchuks?

Everything does not have to be about Crosby & Malkin.
WOW, Really
my point was that when you have the 2 best centers in the world you dont have to have GREAT wingers to put together a good line. Everything doesnt have to be about Malkin and Crosby but the fact remains "switch" your top 2 centers with just about any team in the league and the Pens struggle to make the playoffs

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:38 PM
  #81
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,676
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
WOW, Really
my point was that when you have the 2 best centers in the world you dont have to have GREAT wingers to put together a good line. Everything doesnt have to be about Malkin and Crosby but the fact remains "switch" your top 2 centers with just about any team in the league and the Pens struggle to make the playoffs
I bet if you take away the top two best players from most teams they would struggle to make the playoffs. Devils fans, how good is your team without Parise and Brodeur? Wings fans just told us how hampered their team was missing Datsyuk and Lidstrom. Washington without Backstrom and Ovechkin? Boston without Chara and Thomas?

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 12:12 AM
  #82
JiBBa
 
JiBBa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
I bet if you take away the top two best players from most teams they would struggle to make the playoffs. Devils fans, how good is your team without Parise and Brodeur? Wings fans just told us how hampered their team was missing Datsyuk and Lidstrom. Washington without Backstrom and Ovechkin? Boston without Chara and Thomas?

JiBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 12:19 AM
  #83
Firebird
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
WOW, Really
my point was that when you have the 2 best centers in the world you dont have to have GREAT wingers to put together a good line. Everything doesnt have to be about Malkin and Crosby but the fact remains "switch" your top 2 centers with just about any team in the league and the Pens struggle to make the playoffs
The Pens lost Crosby to injury for almost half the year last year....and they were nearly the best team in the conference during his injury.

So, I must ask, do you know what you are talking about?

Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 01:01 AM
  #84
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.
 
COMCASTMONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PHI in PGH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
The Pens lost Crosby to injury for almost half the year last year....and they were nearly the best team in the conference during his injury.

So, I must ask, do you know what you are talking about?
He might. Do you recall Malkin playing like an absolute ****ing maniac in that stretch? Malkin + great goaltending won games for them then.

I don't know why this is such an a touchy topic. The Penguins went into the Finals with two tanks and an assortment of Glocks and BB guns, and the Red Wings were all armed with shotguns and rifles. The tanks won, but that doesn't mean the BB guns alongside them are comparable to a decent rifle.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 01:31 AM
  #85
J22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
I bet if you take away the top two best players from most teams they would struggle to make the playoffs. Devils fans, how good is your team without Parise and Brodeur? Wings fans just told us how hampered their team was missing Datsyuk and Lidstrom. Washington without Backstrom and Ovechkin? Boston without Chara and Thomas?
I didnt say 2 best players i said top 2 centers. Thats a huge difference. Most if not all other teams 2nd line center is not their 2nd best player and is definitely not one of the 3 best players in the world. I also said "switch" not take away. Lets use my team the wild as an example. Malkin and Crosby "switch" with Koivu and Sheppard, now is a guy like Fedotenko good enough to produce top 6 numbers with centers like that?

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 02:13 AM
  #86
czapski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
We now have our top 3 lines and top 4 dmen all intact after winning the cup. Alot better than last year when everyone thought we had no chance.

Judging by playing time in Playoffs you lost your top2dmen.

czapski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 07:14 AM
  #87
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,676
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
I didnt say 2 best players i said top 2 centers. Thats a huge difference. Most if not all other teams 2nd line center is not their 2nd best player and is definitely not one of the 3 best players in the world. I also said "switch" not take away. Lets use my team the wild as an example. Malkin and Crosby "switch" with Koivu and Sheppard, now is a guy like Fedotenko good enough to produce top 6 numbers with centers like that?
So what you're saying is that for a player to prove he is a top 6 forward, he has to produce better than ... what, 40-50 points, while playing with players who are not top 6 forwards? Seems strange. Guess Mike Knuble is a third liner, since he's always played with good players. Or you could always actually watch the game instead of the stats line.

Ironically, Fedotenko's already played on a worse team than the Wild, and put up 16 goals in 67 games. Not great numbers, but no one had great numbers on that team.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 07:20 AM
  #88
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czapski View Post
Judging by playing time in Playoffs you lost your top2dmen.
Sergei Gonchar got traded?

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:38 AM
  #89
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czapski View Post
Judging by playing time in Playoffs you lost your top2dmen.
You started a new account merely to be disingenuous?
Scuderi was second in ice-time and Gill was fourth in the playoffs.
Gill merely seven seconds ahead of Letang, Eaton a little more than a minute further down.

In the regular season neither played this much, and with a healthy Gonchar being our top PK-guy, the wouldn't have to play as much.
They were our shut down line in the playoffs because of Sarge's injury. Otherwise they would be what they had been throughout - our third pairing who saw serious PK time. That's what we've lost - PK ability and a third pairing. Goligoski has more talent than both of them but together - we'll just have to play differently to use that... or more like it, play the same way on all three pairings rather than have one that is good around the net and worthless with the puck.

In any case, for 'the big problem' on the Pens being the absence of a guy everyone has laughed at for several years (Gill), or a guy few outside of Pens fans knew existed before the playoffs (Scuderi) is a welcome change from talking about us having no top six forwards.
Guess that kinda died when the present guys had 15,14,14 and 13 points, the latter leading the finals in goal scoring.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 10:19 AM
  #90
J22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
So what you're saying is that for a player to prove he is a top 6 forward, he has to produce better than ... what, 40-50 points, while playing with players who are not top 6 forwards? Seems strange. Guess Mike Knuble is a third liner, since he's always played with good players. Or you could always actually watch the game instead of the stats line.

Ironically, Fedotenko's already played on a worse team than the Wild, and put up 16 goals in 67 games. Not great numbers, but no one had great numbers on that team.
All i am saying is that Fedotenko is not a very good top 6 player for the Penguins even though he plays with Sid, or Geno. Therefor in my opinion he would not have been a good top 6 option for the Wild.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 10:29 AM
  #91
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
All i am saying is that Fedotenko is not a very good top 6 player for the Penguins even though he plays with Sid, or Geno. Therefor in my opinion he would not have been a good top 6 option for the Wild.
He is what he is. A second/third line player depending on the team he is on. Which amounts to me agreeing and disagreeing with you. He would not be more than serviceable to the Wild. He is a good top six player for us, because the alternative provided by the reality that is the cap is that Dupuis would be there. He has chemistry with Geno, works hard and can score some. Really that is all that matters with his cap-hit. For us.
Feds has a great track record in the playoffs and just came through - shining - again. Our MO for the current and hopefully the foreseeable future is for that to be a priority. Perhaps more so than the Wild.
Looking at his use as a cheap UFA signing for the Pens by hypothesizing about his worth elsewhere....at what would certainly be a higher salary... doesn't make much sense. LA will find that out with the eminently lovable Scuderi who is nowhere worth that contract.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 10:38 AM
  #92
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliam Shakesbeer View Post
He might. Do you recall Malkin playing like an absolute ****ing maniac in that stretch? Malkin + great goaltending won games for them then.
I don't know why this is such an a touchy topic. The Penguins went into the Finals with two tanks and an assortment of Glocks and BB guns, and the Red Wings were all armed with shotguns and rifles. The tanks won, but that doesn't mean the BB guns alongside them are comparable to a decent rifle.
That's what happens when have a player like Malkin and a goaltender like Fleury. Staal also stepped his play up to fill in the 2nd center role.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:10 AM
  #93
Dingleberry*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
That's what happens when have a player like Malkin and a goaltender like Fleury. Staal also stepped his play up to fill in the 2nd center role.
Fleury was also hurt most of that time, it was Conklin who gave us great goaltending.

Dingleberry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:38 AM
  #94
cdenn15
Registered User
 
cdenn15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Who cares? Feds was a good signing for us, took a discount when we didn't have much cap space, played well until broken hand/seems to be adjusting nicely to coach DBs system, and is a nice complimentary player to our big guns who plays well in the playoffs.

cdenn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 12:35 PM
  #95
Kshahdoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 3,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
That's what happens when have a player like Malkin and a goaltender like Fleury. Staal also stepped his play up to fill in the 2nd center role.
Lol Staal was playing like a total bust during that time...

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 04:38 PM
  #96
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,676
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliam Shakesbeer View Post
He might. Do you recall Malkin playing like an absolute ****ing maniac in that stretch? Malkin + great goaltending won games for them then.

I don't know why this is such an a touchy topic. The Penguins went into the Finals with two tanks and an assortment of Glocks and BB guns, and the Red Wings were all armed with shotguns and rifles. The tanks won, but that doesn't mean the BB guns alongside them are comparable to a decent rifle.
Because I thought everyone agreed that it was the BB guns who outplayed the rifles! What did the Wings fans, the people who have the most reason to be enraged and knock everything about the team, what did they say? They said that the Penguins depth outplayed the Wings depth.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 05:00 PM
  #97
kmillzy5
Registered User
 
kmillzy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: hmmm
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
WOW, Really
my point was that when you have the 2 best centers in the world you dont have to have GREAT wingers to put together a good line. Everything doesnt have to be about Malkin and Crosby but the fact remains "switch" your top 2 centers with just about any team in the league and the Pens struggle to make the playoffs
pointless argument. we went half the 2007-2008 season , without Sid. . . and yes Malkin took the reigns. . oh yeah we were the 2nd seed in the East by the way.

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 05:34 PM
  #98
hockeydadx2*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Kings fans need not worry about the Penguins. We will do just fine. Hopefully Rod Scuderi will help you guys get into the playoffs for a change.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 07:55 PM
  #99
AK
Registered User
 
AK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 15,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
Kings fans need not worry about the Penguins. We will do just fine. Hopefully Rod Scuderi will help you guys get into the playoffs for a change.
I don't think he'll have much impact at all.

Rob Scuderi, on the other hand, could be a handy player for them.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:56 PM
  #100
hockeydadx2*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
I don't think he'll have much impact at all.

Rob Scuderi, on the other hand, could be a handy player for them.
Perhaps the only set of twin defensemen ever.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.