HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Henrik Sedin vs. Mikko Koivu (next season)

View Poll Results: who will be better in next season?
Henrik Sedin 71 52.59%
Mikko Koivu 64 47.41%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-26-2009, 03:22 PM
serge2k

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
people people. he didnt ask who will score more points. that obviously will be sedin

who will be the better player? obviously koivu.

you can use him 5v5, he is the captain, on PK, on PP, anywhere
Henrik Sedin has shown he can play 5v5, on the PP, and on the PK.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Selanne08*

how good is henrik without daniel?

just wondering

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinho View Post
Why do people say that Henrik is mediocre in 2/3 of the ice? That just isn't true. For an offensive star, he's actually quite solid in the other zones.
Without Burrows on his line AV would never go head to head against top lines and for good reason. He and his brother don't have the foot speed to be great two way players.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 03:02 PM
serge2k

Quote:

just wondering
oh right, on HF Henrik Sedin goes from being a centerman who is capable of hitting 70 assists and finishing top 5-10 in the league turns to crap when he doesn't play with brother.

Despite the fact that there is no evidence of this whatsoever and there won't be barring a long term injury to his brother (one of the most durable players in the entire league).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Without Burrows on his line AV would never go head to head against top lines and for good reason. He and his brother don't have the foot speed to be great two way players.
um... smarts? positioning? good stickwork?

Sedins aren't fantastic two way players like zetterberg, kesler, richards, or Koivu. They are solid players in their own end.

Oh, and AV would sometimes go head to head depending on the team the canucks were playing. Usually that job would go to their Selke nominated teammate though.

Old
06-27-2009, 06:20 PM
evgeni71

The Sedins' are actually way above average defensively. They aren't very fast but their positioning is almost perfect. Often when AV has them out on the PK, they begin a shorthanded cycle in the offensive zone that kills 10-20 seconds of the powerplay. They aren't on Zetterberg or Datsyuk's level, but they are no slouches in their own end either.

Offensively there's no contest, Henrik is miles ahead. To put it in perspective, Henrik's career high in assists (71) is 4 more than Mikko's career high in points (67).

Character-wise, I don't think it is a very good comparison. The Canucks gave captaincy to our franchise player. The Wild used to have a captaincy rotation, and settled on Koivu after Gaborik was injured long-term.

evgeni71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 06:38 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:

just wondering
How good would Henrik be with Ovechkin as his left winger and not Daniel?

Just wondering.

monster_bertuzzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
How good would Henrik be with Ovechkin as his left winger and not Daniel?

Just wondering.
Good point well made.

I actually think the fact that the Sedins are ginger actually has a lot to do with their unpopularity. The number of kids with a Sedin poster on their wall is bound to be limited.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:13 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
Good point well made.

I actually think the fact that the Sedins are ginger actually has a lot to do with their unpopularity. The number of kids with a Sedin poster on their wall is bound to be limited.
never thought of this.

although that coupled with the fact that you always see two of them just might explain it.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:18 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
Good point well made.

Daniel Alfredsson is 10 times uglier than either of them, and that doesnt affect his popularity seemingly.

monster_bertuzzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:26 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Henrik for me.

tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Sampe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Offensively there's no contest, Henrik is miles ahead. To put it in perspective, Henrik's career high in assists (71) is 4 more than Mikko's career high in points (67).
That's not putting it in perspective. Henrik's career high in points is 15 better than Mikko's. And that's without considering the quality of their linemates.

Sampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:53 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampe View Post
That's not putting it in perspective. Henrik's career high in points is 15 better than Mikko's. And that's without considering the quality of their linemates.
true. It just struck me that rather than questioning if henrik can play without Daniel it would be better to ask how well Koivu would perform consistently playing with a PPG 30G linemate. Gaborik is injured too often to really tell anything.

Old
06-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelator 786 View Post
Hank is all of that, except for a captain.

Saying Sedin is "mediocre" on 2/3's of the ice is laughable. He and his brother are the reason why the Canucks had one of the best PK in the league a couple of seasons ago.
And Koivu is the reason that the Wild have been top 5 in penalty killing for the past 5 years. Koivu has shown huge offensive upside in the past 2 years and has dominated every zone of the ice. Koivu has a much greater impact on his team then Henrik does. Take away Koivu and the Wild would have been competing with the islanders last year.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Daniel Alfredsson is 10 times uglier than either of them, and that doesnt affect his popularity seemingly.
Well there's two of them and that probably makes it worse. Plus even though I really rate the Sedins, they are not as good as Alfie and IMO he doesn't have as annoying a look about him as these too.

I have friends who aren't really into hockey who really despise them.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:58 PM
tRaDiNgYo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkid08 View Post
And Koivu is the reason that the Wild have been top 5 in penalty killing for the past 5 years. Koivu has shown huge offensive upside in the past 2 years and has dominated every zone of the ice. Koivu has a much greater impact on his team then Henrik does. Take away Koivu and the Wild would have been competing with the islanders last year.
That doesn't prove anything.

We're talking about Sedins play on 2/3 of the ice. Not about Koivu's PK.

tRaDiNgYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:22 PM
imanania

I watch both players tons of times every year and i'm going with Henrik Sedin. He's everything Koivu is and more. Puts up 80+points, plays defence, not a liability of the ice, and he's not dirty. Koivu does do it all as well, but the offence isn't there. Henrik Sedin is just the overall better player. You can make a case by saying that the Wild are nothing without Koivu, but you can make that case for any good player on a bad team. Now the poll asks next season. I'd say Henrik Sedin. I'm betting money next season is his prime season, and if he and his brother find the perfect linemate, they will both put up 100+ points or close to.

Henrik would be #1 center on the Wild if he played there.

imanania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRaDiNgYo View Post
That doesn't prove anything.

We're talking about Sedins play on 2/3 of the ice. Not about Koivu's PK.
Read the first page and what I quoted. If Canuck fans are going to point out how great Sedin is because the Canuck's PK was pretty good more than 5 years ago, then its pretty pertinent that the Wild's PK has been better due to Koivu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanania View Post
I watch both players tons of times every year and i'm going with Henrik Sedin. He's everything Koivu is and more. Puts up 80+points, plays defence, not a liability of the ice, and he's not dirty. Koivu does do it all as well, but the offence isn't there. Henrik Sedin is just the overall better player. You can make a case by saying that the Wild are nothing without Koivu, but you can make that case for any good player on a bad team. Now the poll asks next season. I'd say Henrik Sedin. I'm betting money next season is his prime season, and if he and his brother find the perfect linemate, they will both put up 100+ points or close to.

Henrik would be #1 center on the Wild if he played there.
Ugh good player on a bad team?!? We missed the playoffs be 2 points without one of the most prolific players in the league last year and won the Division the year before. What did the Canucks do that year? I guess the Sedins were just good players on a bad team so that's why they put up those points. Also the points comparison is poor as Mikko is still developing while Henrik has already hit his prime. Following Mikko's progression in the past two years, I feel like he has a pretty good chance of eclipsing Henrik's points this year, while playing this teams primary shutdown role as well.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:08 PM
State of Hockey

Koivu is already better, so next year should be no contest. Koivu was a PPG player for over half the 2008-09 season while playing with Brunette and Miettinen as his best linemates. I'd like to see how Henrik Sedin would be a PPG player without someone always potting the goal for him so he can rack up the assist. And in this case it's a player his equal. Koivu has never had that luxury, aside from a few games with Gaborik, in which he was yet again a PPG player.

Couple Koivu's equal offensive abilities (Koivu is a better goal scorer) with vastly superior defense, and it shows this poll result as a joke.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:18 PM
AgentNaslund*

hFboards crack me up.

The Sedins get constantly smashed because they suck, can't play defence and are overrated. No one wants them on their team.

Yet when comparisons like this come around, they say their only good because of each other, but again when its time to attack, they say both suck?

Oh right, by HFboards standard, Henrik is playing with a crappy overrated player the entire year, yet he is still able to finish 15th in scoring the NHL.

Henrik Sedin is the better player.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Danavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rde View Post
Offense - Henrik but not by much
Defense - Koivu (Henrik is good too but not good enough)
Physicality - Even i guess
Leadership - Koivu

Its very tough to say who is better, but i would definitely take Koivu over Sedin any day of the week. He just has that desire to win, gives his all every shift and he has that special passion for the game many players dont have.
This

Danavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:40 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

I found Koivu to be very inconsistent offensively last season

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:15 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Koivu is already better, so next year should be no contest. Koivu was a PPG player for over half the 2008-09 season while playing with Brunette and Miettinen as his best linemates. I'd like to see how Henrik Sedin would be a PPG player without someone always potting the goal for him so he can rack up the assist. And in this case it's a player his equal. Koivu has never had that luxury, aside from a few games with Gaborik, in which he was yet again a PPG player.

Couple Koivu's equal offensive abilities (Koivu is a better goal scorer) with vastly superior defense, and it shows this poll result as a joke.
thats interesting that an equal offensvie player had fewer goals and his career high in points is less than henriks career high in assists.

Also, he managed to be PPG for half the season then finish 12 points under? Guess he had a pretty mediocre to bad other half then.

You can say Koivu is still developing, but Henrik had 71 points in when he was 25 (4 more points, 2 less goals than Koivu this year) and then stepped up with 81 points and 71 assists (4th in the league, behind thornton, crosby, and savard). Until Koivu can match or exceed tha Henrik is the better offensive player.

Defensively it's Koivu, but Henrik isn't bad. Certainly not a ilability. So unless you think Koivu can preven enough goals to make up for the offensive gap Henrik is the better player.

Old
07-04-2009, 02:58 PM
4rde

Henrik has no chance next season.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 03:41 PM
dfk711*
The real #11