HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Ian Laperriere 3 years $1.167M per

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2009, 11:46 AM
  #301
DickTony
Registered User
 
DickTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,025
vCash: 500
Mike Richards is CANNON

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:24 PM
  #302
Hufi
Registered User
 
Hufi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 44
vCash: 300
Send a message via ICQ to Hufi







Hufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:33 PM
  #303
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
Mike Richards is CANNON
Sorry, it was dumb then, and it's dumb now.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:38 PM
  #304
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Sorry, it was dumb then, and it's dumb now.
Maybe so, but being a curmudgeon was old then, and it's old now.

And, for the record, I don't think I've ever used "Cannon" for Richards, but, seriously, who the **** cares about policing nicknames?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:39 PM
  #305
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Maybe so, but being a curmudgeon was old then, and it's old now.
And being an obsessive-compulsive nitpicker was old then, and it's still old....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:42 PM
  #306
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
And being an obsessive-compulsive nitpicker was old then, and it's still old....
About as far from obsessive-compulsive as you can get, just believe the **** you say matters and should be paid attention to.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:44 PM
  #307
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
His nickname is Lappy, it's what he's called by anyone who doesn't call him "Ian" or "Laperriere."

The only people who called Kapanen and Upshall "Kappy" and "Uppy" are on here. They were never real nicknames for those guys. I've heard "Lappy" used in broadcasts a number of times (mainly by Jim Fox). I've don't think I've ever heard Kappy, Uppy or Cannon.
Uppy was used by Upshall's teammates. Ironically enough I've rarely seen anyone use Uppy on these forums unless I'm just not paying attention. I believe Kappy was also Sami's real nickname, but I am not positive. Cannon is definitely just an internet only thing.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:48 PM
  #308
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Uppy was used by Upshall's teammates. Ironically enough I've rarely seen anyone use Uppy on these forums unless I'm just not paying attention. I believe Kappy was also Sami's real nickname, but I am not positive. Cannon is definitely just an internet only thing.
True, it has not been embraced by the team, but Richards knows of it and has been called Cannon to his face.

I love how this thread has degenerated all because some fans think a new nickname for a new player is in order. Who cares what he was called before? He's a Flyer now.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:55 PM
  #309
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
True, it has not been embraced by the team, but Richards knows of it and has been called Cannon to his face.

I love how this thread has degenerated all because some fans think a new nickname for a new player is in order. Who cares what he was called before? He's a Flyer now.
Did anyone explain the origin of the name to him?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:03 PM
  #310
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Did anyone explain the origin of the name to him?
Haha, that I do not know.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:05 PM
  #311
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,922
vCash: 50
Ian Laperriere is getting paid less per season then Donald Brashear.
btw I am really glad the Sens resigned Chris Neil. Had Holmgren given Neil 2 million per season I would have made the 7 hour trip down to Philly just to smack him in the face.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:55 PM
  #312
96
Esq.
 
96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,748
vCash: 500
I actually emailed Anthony SanFilippo about Holmgren's claim that Laperriere is a faceoff specialist. I also mentioned Pahlsson and Malhotra. Here's the response I received:

Quote:
Keep in mind that Laperriere was not used as a center in Colorado, therefore he took faceoffs far less frequently (he didn't even qualify for the end of the year stats package from the league because he took so few).

However, when he was playing in the middle, or at least taking draws on a regular basis when he was with L.A. his numbers were much better:

97-98: 52.4
98-99: 47.3
99-00: 53.6
00-01: 51.8
01-02: 49.2
02-03: 49.2
03-04: 54.0

I'd say those are pretty solid numbers... far better than anyone the Flyers have right now.

Pahlsson was a bit overpriced considering he was a minus-17 (he can win faceoffs and then what?)

And per a coach who has coached Malhotra: "You don't want him on your team. He's really soft with the puck and is lazy defensively).

Besides, he hasn't signed anywhere yet... If he was such a good addition, don't you think someone would have signed him by now?

Believe me when I tell you hockey people outside of Philly are praising Holmgren for the moves he's made so far.

Thanks for checking in.

Anthony
I still question whether Lappy will be quite as good at faceoffs after not taking them regularly for years. I think he will be a good player for us, however.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 04:05 PM
  #313
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helter Skelter View Post
I actually emailed Anthony SanFilippo about Holmgren's claim that Laperriere is a faceoff specialist. I also mentioned Pahlsson and Malhotra. Here's the response I received:



I still question whether Lappy will be quite as good at faceoffs after not taking them regularly for years. I think he will be a good player for us, however.
So this tells us Lappy will be placed at Center then and not used as a winger.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 04:29 PM
  #314
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,888
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helter Skelter View Post
I actually emailed Anthony SanFilippo about Holmgren's claim that Laperriere is a faceoff specialist. I also mentioned Pahlsson and Malhotra. Here's the response I received:



I still question whether Lappy will be quite as good at faceoffs after not taking them regularly for years. I think he will be a good player for us, however.
That email is one of the most uninformed pieces of hockey journalism I've ever seen. That's a response I'd expect to get from Angelo Cataldi and the rest of the morons on the morning crew. He's going back to before the lockout for his face off numbers. In fact, he's only using numbers, I would contend that he didn't actually see Laperriere play for the Kings.

Laperriere hasn't been a center on a full time basis since he was with the Kings. There's a reason why guys who get into their late 30's move from center to wing and not the other way around.

Saku Koivu doesn't have a contract yet, I guess he sucks too.

What an idiot. I am amazed that a respected hockey writer would respond like that.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:09 PM
  #315
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That email is one of the most uninformed pieces of hockey journalism I've ever seen. That's a response I'd expect to get from Angelo Cataldi and the rest of the morons on the morning crew. He's going back to before the lockout for his face off numbers. In fact, he's only using numbers, I would contend that he didn't actually see Laperriere play for the Kings.

Laperriere hasn't been a center on a full time basis since he was with the Kings. There's a reason why guys who get into their late 30's move from center to wing and not the other way around.

Saku Koivu doesn't have a contract yet, I guess he sucks too.

What an idiot. I am amazed that a respected hockey writer would respond like that.
This post pretty much sums up my thoughts after reading that garbage.

If Ian Laperriere is our answer as the 3rd line center, then it will be a good signing turned bad. He's a great addition to any team for a multitude of reasons. But, if the main reason Homer signed him was to address our faceoff issues, then I'm afraid we're going to be greatly disappointed.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:29 PM
  #316
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,888
vCash: 5792
Laperriere hasn't been a center on a full time basis in 8 or 9 years. When Eric Belanger came up for the Kings, Lappy moved over.

Actually, if we don't get Malhotra, Moore, etc., I wouldn't mind trading for Belanger to be on the 3rd line and put him between Lappy and Powe.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:49 PM
  #317
Jules801
Just Some Broad
 
Jules801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Good Ol' Glassboro
Country: Israel
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helter Skelter View Post
I actually emailed Anthony SanFilippo about Holmgren's claim that Laperriere is a faceoff specialist. I also mentioned Pahlsson and Malhotra. Here's the response I received:



I still question whether Lappy will be quite as good at faceoffs after not taking them regularly for years. I think he will be a good player for us, however.
Haha..information aside, I thought it was nice of him to even reply to you.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 07:59 PM
  #318
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
This is an unfair game you are playing. What is he going to come back with, "Larry-y"?

I say we called him The Wizard of Schnoz for that crazy nose-piece.
Well done! At least Asham isn't called Ashy.


Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 07-03-2009 at 08:06 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:12 PM
  #319
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,447
vCash: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
All hockey players add either "y" or "er" to a last name. And that's about as creative as it gets most of the time.
That would explain "Vote 4 Rory."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:24 PM
  #320
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Well done! At least Asham isn't called Ashy.
Shammy?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:24 PM
  #321
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
That would explain "Vote 4 Rory."
Oy.... and you're likely right!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 04:19 PM
  #322
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That email is one of the most uninformed pieces of hockey journalism I've ever seen. That's a response I'd expect to get from Angelo Cataldi and the rest of the morons on the morning crew. He's going back to before the lockout for his face off numbers. In fact, he's only using numbers, I would contend that he didn't actually see Laperriere play for the Kings.

Laperriere hasn't been a center on a full time basis since he was with the Kings. There's a reason why guys who get into their late 30's move from center to wing and not the other way around.

Saku Koivu doesn't have a contract yet, I guess he sucks too.

What an idiot. I am amazed that a respected hockey writer would respond like that.
I sent a similar email to him and got pretty much the same exact response from him.

I wrote back:

Quote:
In 2003-4...Jeremy Roenick was a first line center.

Last year Laperierre took 450 draws, couple years before that he took 389, and 960 (45.9%).

In '03-04, he took 446 draws to get to that high %.

Sample size isn't the issue here, he just flat hasn't been good at draws in a while. If Holmgren is selling this guy as a solution on faceoffs he's either ignoring the past 5 years worth of evidence to the contrary, or simply feeding BS to Flyers fans (which you passed along). I have no problem with signing Laperierre as a wing (ignoring for a moment that this team now has Laperierre, Asham, Carcillo, and Cote all on the same team...why do we need all of those guys?).

...
I love how he attempted to pass off the recent data as "he wasn't getting that many draws" when if you look back into the stats, he was taking just as many, if not less, back then...and it, of course, ignores the fact that we're talking about ancient history since he put up a decent faceoff number.

The Malhotra stuff very well may be true (certainly doesn't mesh with any of the stuff I've seen whilst watching Columbus, or the fact that he was put on Nash's line out of necessity during the past year and they made the playoffs), but that doesn't do anything to contradict the point that labeling Laperierre a strong faceoff guy is just flat out BS.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 04:42 PM
  #323
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,888
vCash: 5792
It just reeks of the "McFly" journalism when Roenick called out Timmy P that one day. "He wasn't getting that many draws" for a reason (and it's not like teams don't occasitonally send out a winger to take faceoffs if they're better at them - Keith Tkachuk used to on occasion, still does). ASF is taking the kool-aid in full stride and drinking it all up. Lappy hasn't been a full time center..geez basically since the last time the Kings were a good team (I probably said that in the thread already). If he was so great at draws and taking up the room in the middle of the ice, he wouldn't have been moved to the wing in favor of rookie Eric Belanger (and there were plenty of rookies as well who came up and played center for the Avalanche the last few years)...and Lappy never made it back to center on a full-time, consistent basis where he was seen as the 3rd line center.

I mean he's filled in now and then, but you're right, and as someone who had watched him on a regular basis when he was with the Kings (or before that, when I could see them), the scouting report we're being fed of him is wrong. He's a good responsible 3rd line player -- but as a winger. I know what I can expect from him, it doesn't seem like the Flyers do though.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 04:54 PM
  #324
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That email is one of the most uninformed pieces of hockey journalism I've ever seen. That's a response I'd expect to get from Angelo Cataldi and the rest of the morons on the morning crew. He's going back to before the lockout for his face off numbers. In fact, he's only using numbers, I would contend that he didn't actually see Laperriere play for the Kings.

Laperriere hasn't been a center on a full time basis since he was with the Kings. There's a reason why guys who get into their late 30's move from center to wing and not the other way around.

Saku Koivu doesn't have a contract yet, I guess he sucks too.

What an idiot. I am amazed that a respected hockey writer would respond like that.
Hes a customer of mine along with Sal paolantonio, and I wear a Flyers hat to work every day and Angelo asks me "Excited about Ponger? I hear hes a good player" I say "PRonger is a fatastic player..." and talk hockey and he looks so confussed. So I switch it to the Eagles. he then comes out of a coma. Then a few days later at Sal Pal's he mentions pronger and actually has some constructive things to say but just outsider observations. I meantion how the cap is tight and jones is a waste of money and he goes "Ive heard nothing but good things about him from the team" I ask about Jim Johnson and how he is and then he has things to say lol.



Both of them should watch a game lol. Actually all of philly sports media needs to watch a hockey game

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 05:10 PM
  #325
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,888
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Hes a customer of mine along with Sal paolantonio, and I wear a Flyers hat to work every day and Angelo asks me "Excited about Ponger? I hear hes a good player" I say "PRonger is a fatastic player..." and talk hockey and he looks so confussed. So I switch it to the Eagles. he then comes out of a coma. Then a few days later at Sal Pal's he mentions pronger and actually has some constructive things to say but just outsider observations. I meantion how the cap is tight and jones is a waste of money and he goes "Ive heard nothing but good things about him from the team" I ask about Jim Johnson and how he is and then he has things to say lol.



Both of them should watch a game lol. Actually all of philly sports media needs to watch a hockey game
The only football-crazy/insider that really knows stuff on WIP is Ray Didinger. Kind of the opposite of those other two guys really. Ray would like to talk about the Phillies and Flyers as much as he does the Eagles, there's just the whole...hall of fame football writer gig he's got going on, but he really knows what he's talking about when he talks about the Flyers.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.