Notices

Christenson inked 1 year

Old
07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
parrosfan16

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
How is a team with Brown, Parros, Brookbank and Wisniewski not physical? Those are though guys... Add to that Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan who are all big and strong along the boards. How is this boring euro hockey? The Ducks are still a though team, but we are removing some of it to make us more of a scoring threat. These guys makes the Ducks still a top10 team in toughness. If you are gonna change favorite team, then lol, I'm just saying: good luck finding a team that is as tough as the Ducks have been. Yes we made the playoffs when players start working harder... But that's simply because we had a team that had to work for their goals more than a guy like Lupul will... If toughness is the only thing that makes you a hockey fan, are you saying guys like Kariya, McDonald, Selanne and S. Niedermayer are boring players to watch?

So why not just add second line scoring, and keep a tought checking 3rd line? Turning our third line into a bunch of small fast skaters is a big mistake in my opinon. And if the ducks turn to euro hockey, yes I will find a new team. Euro hockey is boring.

parrosfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Dirk316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrosfan16 View Post
So why not just add second line scoring, and keep a tought checking 3rd line? Turning our third line into a bunch of small fast skaters is a big mistake in my opinon. And if the ducks turn to euro hockey, yes I will find a new team. Euro hockey is boring.
Miller/Marchant/Neids is about as week and soft a checking line as you can get and got exploited every time by any line with size and that was the difference and if they add Koivu to the 2nd line i hope this is the next thing to get addressed. Well also Defense way too many holes right now.
Moen/Carter/Bodie wouldnt be a bad 3rd line though

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Building a sucessfull 3rd line is quite difficult. The 3rd line we had when we won, the 3rd line also scored goals in the playoffs. Building a shutdown line that can be clutch in the playoffs is very very hard, the Ducks were lucky that Pahlsson, Rob and Moen could be so productive in the 07 playoffs.

And like I said earlier, it looks like Murray is trying to build a core around Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan beyond this season. I guess he hopes Christensen or Ebbett can be a top 6 player when Selanne is gone. In 05/06, the Ducks had 3 scoring lines in the playoffs...

Kunitz - McDonald - Selanne
Penner - Marchant - Lupul
Fedoruk - Getzlaf - Perry

that's not that much tougher than the Ducks top9 is likely to be next season. McDonald and Selanne were not physical, Penner and Lupul were lazy, Marchant was small, and Getzlaf and Perry still had not developed their cycling style of play to the level it is on today. Still, that team made it to the WC-finals.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:02 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Building a sucessfull 3rd line is quite difficult. The 3rd line we had when we won, the 3rd line also scored goals in the playoffs. Building a shutdown line that can be clutch in the playoffs is very very hard, the Ducks were lucky that Pahlsson, Rob and Moen could be so productive in the 07 playoffs.

And like I said earlier, it looks like Murray is trying to build a core around Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan beyond this season. I guess he hopes Christensen or Ebbett can be a top 6 player when Selanne is gone. In 05/06, the Ducks had 3 scoring lines in the playoffs...

that's not that much tougher than the Ducks top9 is likely to be next season. McDonald and Selanne were not physical, Penner and Lupul were lazy, Marchant was small, and Getzlaf and Perry still had not developed their cycling style of play to the level it is on today.
You had size throughout the lineup though.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:

that's not that much tougher than the Ducks top9 is likely to be next season. McDonald and Selanne were not physical, Penner and Lupul were lazy, Marchant was small, and Getzlaf and Perry still had not developed their cycling style of play to the level it is on today.
Moen-Sami-Robbie was the 3rd line, Fedoruk-Getz-Perry the 4th. And that was at that time by far our most physical line. They had the speed to get a forecheck going and the size and willingness to play hard and physical.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
Moen-Sami-Robbie was the 3rd line, Fedoruk-Getz-Perry the 4th. And that was at that time by far our most physical line. They had the speed to get a forecheck going and the size and willingness to play hard and physical.
True... I was just posting our 3 scoring lines... I'm just saying, just because we are not toughest anymore, this team is still tough, although mixed with some skilled but not physical players. I'm just saying, other teams fans wouldn't say the Ducks are a soft team...

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Pakeha

Quote:
This is North America, where hockey is supposed to be physical. The ducks toughness is one of the main things that drew to be a hockey fan. Call me whatever you want, but if the Ducks start playing boring euro hockey, I will be come a fan of another team. That being said, the Ducks toughness is what got them into the playoffs. Did you notice the last 10 or so games of the regual season, that they started finishing checks, laying good solid hits on people. For most of the season, they tried to play euro hockey, and it didn't work out. We need to stay tough, and play hard hitting in your face hockey.
No team can play hard-nosed physical hockey for 80+ games and then playoffs - doesnt happen. They can only do that in the last 10-20 games plus playoffs. The Ducks did that this year and did well.

Not sure where all this "Euro hockey" stuff comes from - most of the Ducks wouldn't even know what Euro hockey is - they are all Canada and US developed players - and dont say Selanne taught them!

Pakeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 01:32 AM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

Getting back on topic here, I think Murph is definitely giving EC a chance to prove himself considering that he only played about 1/3 of a season last year not including the playoffs. Still, I think it's a fail-safe contract in that if things don't work out well. I still personally think EC is a waste of a roster spot but who knows.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post
Getting back on topic here, I think Murph is definitely giving EC a chance to prove himself considering that he only played about 1/3 of a season last year not including the playoffs. Still, I think it's a fail-safe contract in that if things don't work out well. I still personally think EC is a waste of a roster spot but who knows.
I totally agree with you plus the injury he had. EC has skills and if he can deliver some the price is right.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

The injury he has. He won't be ready to start the season. Waste of cap space.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankatola Jamnuts View Post
The injury he has. He won't be ready to start the season. Waste of cap space.
Have the terms of deal actually been stated - didnt think so. He got a 1 year contract but it may be tied to the number of games he plays. If cap space is needed he can be traded as part of a package. I think it was the right thing for Murray to do - letting him go for nothing does not make sense.

Pakeha is offline   Reply With Quote