HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Slap Shot question

Old
07-05-2009, 02:07 PM
XxLidstromxX

vCash: 500
Slap Shot question

So I have been told to make contact with the puck generally between the heel and the middle of the blade to generate most power. I shoot around 80, but I'm still trying to get my technique perfect.

On the other hand, my friend, he's 5'5ish about 130 lbs clocks 88... He also shoots with the toe of his blade, and damn his shots are hard and accurate.
I was wondering will shooting with the toe shatter the blade or will it work out decent?

XxLidstromxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Saved*

This gotta be KM/H because no way a 5'5 130 pounder is generating 88 mph shots off the toe of the blade.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Saved*

And to answer your question, it will increase the chance of breaking the blade exponantially. Do not shoot slap shots with the toe.. that's asking to break your stick. For each inch of the blade closer to the toe you shoot it, it has 10 times less tensile strength than the inches before it. The toe is the weakest link.

Old
07-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Hockeyfan68

Agreed .... maybe it LOOKS like he is toeing it because there really isn't a way to generate that kind of speed without the strong portion of the blade.

If you try to shoot slappers with the toe you will empty your wallet on broken sticks for one thing.

I posted this in another thread but it shows where to puck should be for the greatest amount of power and MPH on your shot.

This is a wood blade obviously so it can be used to show what I affectionatley call a "puck pocket" that is made from shooting slapshots off of the SAME spot over and over again.

I really do shoot them hard enough to break plexi a few times a year and I always catch the puck in the same place on the blade. to the best of my knowledge I do not think you can do so any other way.

The blue circle is where I make contact with the puck and the two blue lines are the area the puck touches the blade throughout the entire shot. I know people have this idea that a puck travels up the entire length of the blade and comes off the toe but it doesn't. An old wood blade used only for slapshots like this one clearly shows it. it is also why i love composites now as a blade isn't ruined in ONE day of practicing slapshots.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 03:17 PM
XxLidstromxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
This gotta be KM/H because no way a 5'5 130 pounder is generating 88 mph shots off the toe of the blade.
Actually I have seen him clock 88 on the radar and it's m/h. His technique is perfect. He is pretty small but he has a really powerful body for a person his size.

But yea hockeyfan I will look into that spot.

Old
07-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Saved*

Yeah, no. His technique isn't perfect if he's hitting off the toe.

I'm positive he isn't shooting 88 MP/H if he's 130 lbs. I'm fairly certain the laws of physics prevent that. I'll do the math if you wish.

Old
07-05-2009, 03:29 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

You can kind of take a snap shot off the mid-toe, but with a slapshot, you're just asking for trouble. Make sure you are contacting the ice with the mid-heel, then look up at the target. The rest should take care of itself.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 05:52 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:

I'm positive he isn't shooting 88 MP/H if he's 130 lbs. I'm fairly certain the laws of physics prevent that. I'll do the math if you wish.
No, they don't. Body momentum is only one portion of a shot, there is most certainly a muscular component as well. He could have weight in muscle in all the right places- strong arms and legs, and perhaps is lacking in weight in other places, perhaps chest. He also probably has his flex perfect, and very good technique.

Besides, he's seen the shot clocked. It's 88. And I'm pretty sure it can be done. Jeff Hamilton played the point for the Hurricanes for part of a year, very similar in size to this guy's friend. Cannon of a shot, probalby the best on the team that year. Scored a bunch of goals early, then found himself a healthy scratch because teams learned that shooting was all he could really do and shut him down.

But I digress.

Anyway, what he's doing is probably a trick somebody showed me but I could never pull off well (my slapper sucks), which was to point the blade down so the toe makes contact with the ice first when taking a slapper. That forces the stick to flex more, and give you a little more load on the shot, giving you a little more speed. It will destroy your blades though- it'll make them start to break towards the heel. And that will probably have a side effect of making you hit the puck closer to the toe.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 06:10 PM
XxLidstromxX

Quote:

You can do the math, but I saw the 88 m/h come up on the radar. He uses 100 flex and yet he can flex the hell out of that stick. You can see his stick literally take the shape of the letter 'C'.
If you look at Ryan Ellis, he's 5'10 178lbs and he delivers bombs to the net.

Old
07-05-2009, 06:32 PM
timnsr72

a shot of that speed, considering his size is not probable, but is very possible. plus like already said, the technique of the shot has a effect on the speed, but ruins his blades

timnsr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLidstromxX View Post
You can do the math, but I saw the 88 m/h come up on the radar. He uses 100 flex and yet he can flex the hell out of that stick. You can see his stick literally take the shape of the letter 'C'.
If you look at Ryan Ellis, he's 5'10 178lbs and he delivers bombs to the net.
Dude I'm telling you right now if he hits 88 he is NOT toeing the puck when shooting. He just simply cannot be and then throw in his weight and size .... NO WAY. He could shooting it correctly but I assure you the toe of the blade is not being used.

For one thing I seriously doubt one can even shoot a slapshot on the toe of the stick. Sometimes I catch a one timer too far on the toe and it loses everything and flutterpucks.

The toe is used for wristshots, snapshots etc .... a slap shot does not have the TIME for the puck to ride the whole length of the blade. The swing speed is too great ... the photo I posted shows this.

Basically though you just can't shoot a slapshot using JUST the toe. CANNOT BE DONE.

The toe is just too far from the heel where the torque is generated from the shaft of the stick which is why a couple of people in here said one would just be breaking blades.

Old
07-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
So I have been told to make contact with the puck generally between the heel and the middle of the blade to generate most power. I shoot around 80, but I'm still trying to get my technique perfect.

On the other hand, my friend, he's 5'5ish about 130 lbs clocks 88... He also shoots with the toe of his blade, and damn his shots are hard and accurate.
I was wondering will shooting with the toe shatter the blade or will it work out decent?
Well, if your stick was a little shorter, you would be able to be more over the puck, which would cause more weight tranfer behind the shot.

Plus, I recommend a closed blade at contact, rather then an open blade at ice contact. This will also increase the speed of the puck.

Plus, hitting the ice about1.5 to 2 inches behind the puck will make the flex in your stick work better for you. Work smarter, not harder.

Head coach

07-06-2009, 12:50 AM
XxLidstromxX

I'll check his puck marks tomorrow, I'll ask him not to tape his stick and I'll see where he hits the puck.

Old
07-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I'll check his puck marks tomorrow, I'll ask him not to tape his stick and I'll see where he hits the puck.
Actually he should have his stick taped with white tape to see this. The photo has the tape off to show the "puck pocket" made where you can see that white line which is a crack in the blade.

I didn't use the blade without tape and you kinda need the tape if you are used to tape.

Don't tell that to Rick Middleton though as he did not use tape in the NHL. ... well for a lot of his career anyways.

Old
07-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Canad93

Quote:

No, I've seen this happen too. When we were younger, there was a kid on my team who clocked 86 mph slapshot and he was around 5'6 and 130ish.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 08:35 PM
XxLidstromxX

Yeah hockeyfan, he uses the toe I saw his puck marks on fresh tape

Old
07-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Yeah hockeyfan, he uses the toe I saw his puck marks on fresh tape

I would love to see this myself then .... can you get a video or something because I have never in 35 years of playing EVER seen that before.

Not even once.

Old
07-07-2009, 10:41 AM
XxLidstromxX

I'll try to get a video next time he comes.

Old
07-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I'll try to get a video next time he comes.
If you can please try to get an overhead shot by standing to his opposite side while he shoots the puck.

I really have a hard time believing this is even possible and seriously want to see it for myself.

Someone that size and weight generating that much power to clock at 88mph using the toe of the blade no less.

Old
07-08-2009, 12:37 PM
XxLidstromxX

what do you mean by an overhead shot?

Old
07-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
what do you mean by an overhead shot?
A shot with the video camera over the top of the shot.

You don't need to get up on a ladder or anything cuzz that would be stupid but maybe just standing over the blade of his stick during the followthrough looking straight down at it.

Old
07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
XxLidstromxX

Something weird just happened yesterday... I was taking slap shot but just without max power and they were perfect, they went exactly where I wanted them to go. Then I tried a full power slap shot and all of a sudden my slap shot was crap...
I found that when I take a shot full power I concentrate more on the power over the technique.
I'm going to take moderate power shots until I get the technique perfect and then I will try to pump it a little harder.