HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kris Letang

Old
07-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moko View Post
I'm going to assume you mean potentially because when you read that poor excuse for a sentence with "potently" in their, it just doesn't make sense.

As for the caliber of Letang as a player, he's been to two Stanley Cup finals. How many have the pieces of trash he is supposedly worth/not worth have gone to two Stanley Cup finals, and won one of them?
yea i ran the spell check but it corrected it to that instead of potentially

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieksa 3 View Post
canucks give
raymond
1 round pick
Pens give:
- You the finger

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Hmm, lets' see. We've got a 22 year old defenseman who's been to two Finals and won a Cup playing heavy minutes in the 2nd, who is also a magnificent skater, a good hitter, has burgeoning instincts at both ends, and finished 3rd in blueline scoring during the playoffs last year. He's also signed for under a million next year for the Pens Cup defense season.

Nothing short of ridiculous could force me to part with Letang. It would be completely stupid to deal him for anything less...players in his position, with his skill and experience, for his contract, simply are not available anywhere.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 11:26 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
I have always and still see Letang maturing into a scott niedermayer...

He is going to be that good, a calm cool kid with the puck, amazing offensive talent already and he holds his on defensively. As for those talking smack on his D-game I think you need to watch more pens games, and also not that this is a 22 year old KID.

Most d-men don't hit any kinda stride until their mid to late 20's this kid is well a head of schedule.
As much as I'm a fan of Letang, it's pretty clear to me that' he's getting overrated on here, and in a big way.

To compare Letang to Nieds is setup for disappointment.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 11:35 PM
SidTheKid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post
Pens give:
- You the finger
Tremendous.

SidTheKid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Luigi Lemieux

letang's a stud and will get even better. a 21-22 year old playing regular minutes on a cup finals and cup winning team is nothing to sneeze at. he skates like the wind, has great positioning and excellent hockey sense. the one thing he needs to do is shoot more.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 11:47 PM
sselssalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Raymond, Bernier, O'Brien. A few relatively cheap, young wingers plus a defenseman who minimizes the damage on the blueline.

It would take a nice overpayment, as has been stressed.
I would consider that deal, tbh. A bit slanted but we need a Letang-like player for our team to move forward.

sselssalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 01:30 AM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
After Gonchar is gone, Letang will be the Pens top defenseman. I don't want him moving.
Ditto for me. Letang will be Gonchar's replacement as our top offensive dman after next season. If you look at his play after Blysma took over he scored like a top 10 in the league NHL dman during those last 20 games and the 24 playoff games. Letang had 9 goals and 27 points during those 44 games and I could see him scoring 15+ goals and 50+ points during the regular season this year and he is only 21 years old. Anyone that says his D is not good needs to watch him more. He is good enough to be a top 4 dman now in his own end and he is very young and still learning. I would not be surprised if he finished in the top 10 dmen in scoring this season when the 10th best last season had 52 points and I believe he will be around that pace playing on our top PP unit all season. He scored around that pace over his last 44 games counting playoffs under our new coach. I don't believe he will be traded for any package because Gonchar is getting up in years and Letang is going to be his replacement and you don't trade someone like that. We have no reason to also because he is part of our core and trading him means having to get a guy just like him back which makes no sense.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
Ditto for me. Letang will be Gonchar's replacement as our top offensive dman after next season.
I certainly hope that isn't true. I love Letang's potential as much as any Pens fan, and find some of the comments in this thread to be pretty way off. But I also think that Edler for instance is presently the better player. Letang is gaining ground though - quickly - and like many others have said, he isn't being traded short of extreme overpayment.

Its even silly discussing this.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 08:27 AM
kmillzy5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post
Pens give:
- You the finger
no thanks.

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 08:28 AM
spizzle420

He's not going anywhere, he's clearly a stud, 21, and going to wear the A one day.

spizzle420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Fire Julien

Boston offers Phil Kessel

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
no way. he isnt worth taht much. this guy has been overrated over the past season. he is not good defensivley
clearly you don't watch PIT. because when letang is in the lineup, they are much better. when letang is out, they struggle.

and letang is only going to get better.

he helped anchor a cup team.

so we have a puck moving dman, who teams always want, pretty solid in his own end, won a cup, can put up points and score timely goals. and he is young.

i'd say that is worth a 1st and solid prospect at the least.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sselssalc View Post
Pens fans:

What would you want from the Canucks if Letang was indeed on the block?
I'd want Edler included in a package. As for the rest, I'm not sure, but I'd certainly push for his inclusion.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

4-5 dman with average puck moving skills and a 1st plus maybe an average winger prospect

Omar Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 01:08 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Letang's strengths are his surprising physicality. The fact that he can knock much bigger players off the puck. As inaccurate as his slap shots and one-timers can be, his wrist shot/snap shot is lethal, it's very hard and accurate. He also has explosive speed and rare game-breaker type of abilities for a D-Man on the rush imo.
It's also amazing how ****ing good he is at negating breakaways. He's already a master at being able to get his blade on the puck of a forward who is a full bodylength ahead of him. He made a spectacular play like this in one of the first three '09 SCF games and the refs mistakenly called it interference even though replay clearly showed it was a stick-on-puck play. I've seen him make this play at least eight times over the past couple years, and every time he has gotten his stick on the puck when 95 percent of defensemen would interfere.

Of course, the other side of this coin is those who will say that if he were better defensively, he wouldn't have to make this play. They might be right, but my recollection is that this usually happens on a broken PP play or when there is a bad pass in the offensive zone and the other team springs a man.

This kid has wheels and skill.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Lier X Agerate
Avs and Wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purinton View Post
Boston offers Phil Kessel
Ever heard of a Salary Cap?

Lier X Agerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 01:54 PM
SidTheKid87

Tanger is Geno's pierogi-eating wingman anyway. That can't be returned in a trade.

SidTheKid87 is offline   Reply With Quote