HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Blade Lie question

Old
07-06-2009, 06:24 PM
RaoulDuke2k

vCash: 500
Blade Lie question

Hi,
Does anyone know how lie compares between companies - for instance, I wanted to get a Datsyuk blade which only comes in a 6 lie. I've been using a Warrior pattern with a 4 lie (which I like), and have also used an Easton 5 lie, without too much trouble.

Is a 6 in one company equal to a 5 in another, etc...? From what I can tell, only Warrior seems to offer a 4 lie.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Ragss

From Wiki.

"The lie of a stick refers to the angle between the shaft and the blade. A lie value of 5 corresponds to a 135 angle, and each additional lie value corresponds to a 2 smaller angle.[1] With the bottom of the blade flat on the ice, a higher lie value causes the shaft to stand up straighter. Typical values range from 5 to 7; most sticks now are near 5.5. Goalie sticks typically have a lie between 11 and 15.[2]"

Pretty sure its all fairly consistent.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Placebo Effect

Lie is often different between companies, use the MSH Pattern DB. I believe they measure lie themselves and post the true lie and not what the manufacturers say.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 07:14 PM
bleedgreen

i dont even agree with msh's lie chart all the time. lie can be a tricky thing, and all i know is no one pays attention to what it actually is anymore.

the datsyuk is NOT a 6, its closer to a 5.5, in my opinion even slightly lower. easton came out with all the standard patterns 10 years ago with the synergies, you know the sakic, modano, lidstrom etc...easton changes what lie was right then, as none of their supposed lies actually lined up with what lies had been for the previous 30 years. their supposed 2 6's, the yzerman and the shanny were both wrong. the yzermans closer to a 7, and the shanny is close to the sakic - so whats a 6? it comes down to figuring out a pattern that feels right to you, and either sticking with it - or get good at comparing in the store so you can figure out something comparable.

warrior is all messed up. their 4 is a 5, the 5 may be a 5.5, and their 6 may be a 6. their weight pattern used to be a 4.5 on their scale, then it became either a 4 or a 5, despite them not changing the pattern any?! it sucks because lie is very important, and most beginners/intermediates have no idea about it or what feels right to them. if youve got something that feels good stick with it.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:44 PM
RaoulDuke2k

hey, thanks for the insight Bleedgreen. I figured it was something like that - especially with the Warrior Lie's. I was going back and forth from an Easton 5.5 and the Warrior 4, and it wasn't much of a difference. Made me think that they were understating the Warrior patterns.

If the Datyuk isn't a true 6 it should be fine.

Old
07-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick The Rypper View Post
Lie is often different between companies, use the MSH Pattern DB. I believe they measure lie themselves and post the true lie and not what the manufacturers say.
I heard from guys in this forum that use Warrior that their lie is not accurate to the rest of the hockey world. I heard their 4 was like a 5 and the 5 more like a 6 etc. I forgets now exactly what they said but I am sure someone will remind us who uses that stuff.

I can tell you I have a 5 lie Harrow blade that is almost exactly like my Easton 5.5 blades.

I also have a bauer One90 blade with a PM9 pattern that seems more like a 6 to me though it doesn't say on the blade it does seem more like a 6 comparing to my 6 lie woodies I have lying about.

Best thing to do honestly is try the stick in the store by grabbing the handle where your stick length is and looking for yourself on the floor in the store.

I always bring my regular stick into a store when shopping so I can compare anything from replacement blade hosel length compared to a shaft I may be looking to buy or what have you.

These little things are important and often stores don't like stick returns because they do not know if you used it or not and frown on that.

YOU are the one spending money and the customer is always right so bring your stick with you when you shop for a stick.

One quarter inch difference here or there can throw off your shot or other things.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
One quarter inch difference here or there can throw off your shot or other things.
+1

The length of your stick and the lie of your blade is about 90% of your stickhandling, passing, shooting mechanics. The curve and loft is probably 10% -- so much so that I laugh about how concerned players are that a certain curve will dictate how well they slapshot/wristshot/backhand when it's really the length and lie that's most important.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Placebo Effect

It's really crazy how much a difference just one inch can make in terms of stick length.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:00 PM
RaoulDuke2k

Just a minor update - I picked up the 7K Sickick Rbk blade in the Datsyuk pattern and the 6 lie is extremely close to the 4 lie of my Warrior Fedorov. I doubt it will take any adjustment to get used to it.

Old
07-10-2009, 03:04 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

Exactly. I've used a stick with a different lie before and it was so bad that I would occasionally lose the puck under the toe, because the blade wasn't lying flat on the ice. I suspect that the guy who ownedthe stick may have modified to to compensate for the fact that he doesn't get low enough in his stride.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post
+1

The length of your stick and the lie of your blade is about 90% of your stickhandling, passing, shooting mechanics. The curve and loft is probably 10% -- so much so that I laugh about how concerned players are that a certain curve will dictate how well they slapshot/wristshot/backhand when it's really the length and lie that's most important.
I've said that for a long time now ... I shoot really good slapshots and see guys at shinny or in games look to see what I am using or whatever. It cracks me up because I can shoot with anything if the lie and length is correct for MY shot.

yeah some sticks help with energy transfer for smooth one timers and quicker releases and accuracy.

Blade patterns though will not help you roof a puck or shoot better. It may make roofing a puck in tight easier or what have you but it won't help your mechanics, you are absolutely correct.

They just don't.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote