HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan possibly a 30 goal scorer next season?

Old
07-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Olympic nut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
I think its a bit too soon to judge Callahan's ceiling.

If you told me this time last year he'd be our most consistent player and would score more than 20 goals, I wouldn't of believed you.

I think he and Dubinsky have a ton of untapped potential. I think Dubinsky's ceiling is higher though too.
I totally agree. At the beginning of last season, I thought that Callahan would be the kind of player who would bounce between the Rangers' 3rd line and the AHL, would pot maybe 10 goals and provide energy. By the end of the season, he was playing like a bona-fide 2nd-line winger. I would never have believed it, which is why I refuse to guess how far he can yet improve.

He doesn't have élite skills? In a Marian Gaborik sense, maybe not, but he is a good skater and he does have a very good release and shot. What impressed me the most last year was the improvement in his offensive hockey smarts and his confidence. He already had a good defensive game at the NHL-level, but in the second half of last season, he took it to another level as an all-around player -- a level I honestly did not believe he had.

The cherry on the icing on the cake is that I have a feeling that we haven't seen it all from Callahan yet.

If Dubinsky can improve the way Callahan did (and I think he possibly can), then he really will be our answer as a first line center.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Celestial Black

I'll be happy with 20. Baby steps.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:37 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Black View Post
I'll be happy with 20. Baby steps.
You want him to go down in goals?

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
I'd really love to see a Higgins-Dubinsky-Callahan line, I think that line has the potential to score 60 goals. I'd think Higgins and Cally around 25 each with Dubinsky picking up the other 10 with the possibility of getting 20 as well.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:55 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I totally agree. At the beginning of last season, I thought that Callahan would be the kind of player who would bounce between the Rangers' 3rd line and the AHL, would pot maybe 10 goals and provide energy. By the end of the season, he was playing like a bona-fide 2nd-line winger. I would never have believed it, which is why I refuse to guess how far he can yet improve.

He doesn't have élite skills? In a Marian Gaborik sense, maybe not, but he is a good skater and he does have a very good release and shot. What impressed me the most last year was the improvement in his offensive hockey smarts and his confidence. He already had a good defensive game at the NHL-level, but in the second half of last season, he took it to another level as an all-around player -- a level I honestly did not believe he had.

The cherry on the icing on the cake is that I have a feeling that we haven't seen it all from Callahan yet.

If Dubinsky can improve the way Callahan did (and I think he possibly can), then he really will be our answer as a first line center.
A lot of people were of that opinion, I always held out hope that he could develop into more, but I figured it would be somewhat of a long shot.

We are talking about a kid that potted 52 goals w/ 32 assists (84 pts, 62 games) in his last year in juniors and had 35 goals 20 assists in 60 games in the AHL (his only season in the AHL) so he certainly has offensive upside.

The thing about Callahan is that no one ever mentioned any major holes in his game. I remember when he was just starting out in the AHL and the consensus was that he would be a third line winger at best-- but no one ever found anything lacking in his game.

I honestly think Callahan can be as good as he wants to be. If he works his butt off, he could score 40 goals at some point in his career. He could very well be a consistent 30 goal scorer, and there really isn't anything that would hold him back from that.

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 12:16 PM
geisenNYR

I wouldn't put it out of the question. He is probably one of the players who benefit the most from torts uptempo style. He loves to forecheck and his play improved greatly as the season wore on. He scored 22 goals last season and now with a full season under his belt I sort of expect at least 25 goals next season. Why cant Cally light the lamp 30 times next season. Especially if he gets more PP time, which i expect he will.

geisenNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
You want him to go down in goals?
No I meant...let him get to 20 again in the season and add from there. Not trying to count my chickens before they hatch.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:27 PM
darko

20-25 is probably about what he'll get put I wouldnt be surprised if cracks 30 goal plateau. It depends who he plays with really...

he did finish off last season pretty well...

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Without a doubt he can score at least 30 goals. He has size and has the passion to get to it. I believe he can definitley do it under an aggressive Tortorella system.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
I honestly think Callahan can be as good as he wants to be. If he works his butt off, he could score 40 goals at some point in his career. He could very well be a consistent 30 goal scorer, and there really isn't anything that would hold him back from that.
Quoting for emphasis: This, in a nutshell, is exactly how I feel about Callahan. You put it better than I managed to, thanks!

Old
07-05-2009, 08:58 AM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
One of the biggest things I'm looking foward to seeing next season is seeing Ryan Callahan net 30 goals. After Torts was made coach Callahan went on fire and was by in my opinion the quickest and best adjusting player to Torterlla's offensive style of play.

The most important thing I noticed about Callahan was he was incredibly consistant offensively since that point and I truly believe that Callahan will be a pleasant surprise for a lot of us next year when he's given a full season under Torterlla. What do you guys think?

coming from a cross town rival fishies fan, Cally is my favorite ranger to watch. He shoots and asks questions later. He loves to compete and gets everything out of his talent level. Tort's job is to take Cally to another level. great draft pick

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
coming from a cross town rival fishies fan, Cally is my favorite ranger to watch. He shoots and asks questions later. He loves to compete and gets everything out of his talent level. Tort's job is to take Cally to another level. great draft pick
Thanks for the good words!

No kidding about the draft pick: wasn't he a 4th rounder? Terrific value.

Old
07-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Thanks for the good words!

No kidding about the draft pick: wasn't he a 4th rounder? Terrific value.
Yeah, he was drafted in the 4th round, 127th overall, to be exact.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 06:33 AM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
Yeah, he was drafted in the 4th round, 127th overall, to be exact.
One can see why Cally was drafted in the 4th round. Size size size. The combine should test ones heart and determination if possible. The bike test I guess does that

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:27 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I believe Torts said something last season to the effect that he thinks Cally could be a 30-35 goal scorer this season. Let's hope he's right!

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:23 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hate to say this about a young player, but does anyone else get the feeling that Callahan is awfully close to his ceiling?

I think Dubinsky is the one that can really grow.
I agree, but I also think Dubinky's ceiling isn't as high as some people think.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Soks45

I can honestly see cally scoring 30-35 this year,not saying he will but with yet another year under his belt, the confidence he gets from being a complete favorite in New York, and most of all torts system he 's gonna score 'em pretty and dirty.

I say let dubi play with gabby and let cally play on drury's wing, spread the scoring around that line, don't ask him to be a go to guy, but still don't give him low expectations (third line)

Soks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Edge

I have a feeling Callahan is a consistent 20-25 goal kind of guy.

I don't see him going much higher than that.

I think his progress is falling right in line with what I thought he was capable of if he continued to progress.

I can see where there is a temptation to over-project players that actually fulfull their potential, but i'm hopeful people don't get too carried away.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

As a devils fan he strikes me as a langenbrunner type player with more speed but a little less physicality and grit and just like langenbrunner if he plays with elite linemates he could crack 30 (langenbrunner hit 29 but whatever)

Omar Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 07:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I have a feeling Callahan is a consistent 20-25 goal kind of guy.

I don't see him going much higher than that.

I think his progress is falling right in line with what I thought he was capable of if he continued to progress.

I can see where there is a temptation to over-project players that actually fulfull their potential, but i'm hopeful people don't get too carried away.
You may be right, but I think there's still some untapped potential. He really turned it on towards the end of the season, and with just 150 NHL games under his belt, I think there's still a bit of room for improvement.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 07:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
Without a doubt he can score at least 30 goals. He has size and has the passion to get to it. I believe he can definitley do it under an aggressive Tortorella system.
Callahan does not have size... 5-11, 185.

But he definitely has the work ethic.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You may be right, but I think there's still some untapped potential. He really turned it on towards the end of the season, and with just 150 NHL games under his belt, I think there's still a bit of room for improvement.
Well I'll say this, it would not shock me.

The kid is a hard worker and that counts for a lot.

But I also think we sometimes tend to fall in love with those hard working guys a little too much and over project them. Mike York comes to mind on that one.

It's pretty easy to laugh at now, but he caused some MAJOR debates...heck i'd even same arguments on these boards back in the day.

I think this is the first time in the internet era that Ranger prospects are actually fulfilling potential and becoming NHL players. For a lot of fans, it's a new experience and one that is very easy to get a little OVER confident about.

Guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, etc., are becoming the players they are capable of being. But we have to be careful that we don't turn them into players they are not or at least are not likely to be.

Old
07-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Callahan does not have size... 5-11, 185
And having seen him in person, that's probably on the generous side.