HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Raycroft signed - One Year, $500k

Old
07-06-2009, 09:12 PM
timw33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Sense of humour much? And who'd this Luongo fella you speak of?

It was a joke, relax. Do you really think I'm worried about signing a guy for the league minimum who will play 12 games max if any at all?

It's a depth signing and a pretty insignificant one.

Calm yourself. I can't believe you called ME the dramatic one out of this exchange!!
My bad.

I did not see a sarcasm emoticon.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:13 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
My bad.

I did not see a sarcasm emoticon.
In all honesty, I thought it was so obvious it wasn't needed.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
thats not what a two way deal is

this is my biggest pet peeve on this board and it's all EA's fault
what isn't?

enlighten me, oh knowledgeable one.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:19 PM
saskganesh

... its good to have an extra goalie for practise.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
We won't exactly how much - but it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume Krog got more than half his paycheque effectively from the Moose.
Well wasn't Ouellete making near or over $1M? Either way, he's shown he'll spend money in the AHL if it gives the Canucks an improved chance of winning.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:29 PM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
what isn't?

enlighten me, oh knowledgeable one.
hear my words, my son

a two way contract has nothing to do with waiver eligibility, only with how much he is paid in the minors

waiver eligibility is determined by nhl experience and is a completely seperate issue

so if you want to have a forward you can shuttle between vancouver and manitoba, you need to find a guy who doesn't qualify for waiver, not a guy with a two way deal

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
hear my words, my son

a two way contract has nothing to do with waiver eligibility, only with how much he is paid in the minors

waiver eligibility is determined by nhl experience and is a completely seperate issue

so if you want to have a forward you can shuttle between vancouver and manitoba, you need to find a guy who doesn't qualify for waiver, not a guy with a two way deal
This is accurate, just in case Ernie thinks you're being a ****** instead of being right. :p

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Do some of you not read the previous posts?

First, LaBarbera wanted i) more money and ii) more games. Was not going to happen here in Vanc.

Second, Schneider is unlikely to EVER back up Luongo. He is an elite prospect and needs to play more than 8-10 or 10-12 games per season. He's not a back up. Moose or traded.

Third, Raycroft has, on occasion, had a good record. Such the 9-1 or 10-2 start ... that various posters have mentioned.

Frankly, I'd rather trust the Canucks' scouts and their braintrust on this, rather than a fan nicknamed "Drunken Protector"... (No offence, Drunken.)

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
CrosbyCrosby*

moose or traded = schneider will never have value. make luongo play less games so he doesnt blow it in the playoffs.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

People are gonna have to wrap their heads around the fact that Schnedier is never gonna be our #1 goalie. Now, given that fact, people are gonna have to understand that being a backup to a goalie that wants to play every game possible is not good for his development and it's not good for his marketability.

Secondly, Raycroft has a bad rep because he used to be a guy that people envisioned as a potential #1 goalie in the NHL. It is clear that is not true today, but it is also clear he is better than Sanford and Labarbara and signed to less money than the latter. I know people don't wanna see that because he is past the requisite HF boards age limit and his past stigma as being "that guy". Fact of the matter is Raycroft at 500k is just fine, he is our BACKUP for like 15 games a year, max. If Luongo is hurt, we're screwed no matter who we get and Schneider will never work is way past Luongo...

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:49 PM
digger18

I love the salary and term of this deal.
Raycroft should be good for 20 games.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Hooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
it is also clear he is better than Sanford and Labarbara
Is it really? This is news to me.

Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Spamhuis

Great signing. Dirt cheap backup (500k) saves cap space for more important positions since we know that Lu will play 70 games. If he goes down then it's Cory's time to shine.

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Marshall View Post
Not a big surprise.

Old
07-06-2009, 11:10 PM
RobsonStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
Secondly, Raycroft has a bad rep because he used to be a guy that people envisioned as a potential #1 goalie in the NHL. It is clear that is not true today, but it is also clear he is better than Sanford and Labarbara and signed to less money than the latter. I know people don't wanna see that because he is past the requisite HF boards age limit and his past stigma as being "that guy". Fact of the matter is Raycroft at 500k is just fine, he is our BACKUP for like 15 games a year, max. If Luongo is hurt, we're screwed no matter who we get and Schneider will never work is way past Luongo...
No. Raycroft is a cheaper goaltender, and that's it. His performance since the lockout is as bad as it gets (link).

Contrary to a lot of opinion, I think this move signals that Schneider is not going to be traded for a little while. It wouldn't surprise me to see Cory split time with Manitoba and Vancouver, recalled for scheduled starts or in case of injury and then reassigned. If that's the plan, its a pretty clever one. Schneider gets the best of both worlds (NHL starts plus AHL workload). The Canucks save on salary. Raycroft gets to be Chris Levesque for a season plus half a million dollars.

If Raycroft ends up starting hockey games, I take it all back.

RobsonStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cocomero*

Cocomero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Marshall View Post
And to pretty much anybody else who's actually taken more than 0.3 seconds to think about it.

You're now in the twilight zone of Canuck fandom, where players overnight go from RayCrap to RayChamp simply by signing a contract with whichever super-sized butt is sitting in the GM's chair.

Old
07-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

A few beers have, I feel, given me perspective this evening.

Is Raycroft a great goalie? No. Is he a goaltender with some potential, yes. Is he capable of playing well here and there? Yes. Therefore, IMO, he is a decent backup. At $500,000, if he manages to beat Schneider out for the backup role, he will be worth it. $100,000 cheaper than Sanford who was the backup last year. And really, if you asked fans around the league who was better, Sanford or Raycroft, who do you think they would pick?

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:28 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
I love the salary and term of this deal.
Raycroft should be good for 20 games.
20 games?! We're screwed if he plays that much.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:36 PM
dhabums*

Quote:
thats not what a two way deal is

this is my biggest pet peeve on this board and it's all EA's fault
It is astounding that after 4 years of the cba that we still have self styled NHL board gm wannabees who don't know the very basics of the cap and the rules that govern it.

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsonStreet View Post
No. Raycroft is a cheaper goaltender, and that's it. His performance since the lockout is as bad as it gets (link).

Contrary to a lot of opinion, I think this move signals that Schneider is not going to be traded for a little while. It wouldn't surprise me to see Cory split time with Manitoba and Vancouver, recalled for scheduled starts or in case of injury and then reassigned. If that's the plan, its a pretty clever one. Schneider gets the best of both worlds (NHL starts plus AHL workload). The Canucks save on salary. Raycroft gets to be Chris Levesque for a season plus half a million dollars.

If Raycroft ends up starting hockey games, I take it all back.
I didn't say Schneider was gonna be traded ASAP, to the contrary I have said, and I believe he should be held on as long as we can, but not too long.

I think that the most important thing about Raycroft to remember, as I have tried to drive home is...he is a back up goaltender. It's not just that he is cheap, backups who play 15 games a season max are gonna be cheap.

I don't think anyone is raving about this, no one raved about Sanford or Labarbara. He is a backup expected to play 15 games a season. You gotta wonder what people who are freaking about this are thinking.

Old
07-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocomero View Post
<insert youtube video here>

Oh boy there were a lot of Ohlund Linden and Naslund in that video

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
And to pretty much anybody else who's actually taken more than 0.3 seconds to think about it.

You're now in the twilight zone of Canuck fandom, where players overnight go from RayCrap to RayChamp simply by signing a contract with whichever super-sized butt is sitting in the GM's chair.
LOL no, now you are in the twilight zone of Canuck fandom where a career backup, former Canucks backup is somehow better than Raycroft. Raycroft hate depended on the context of him being a 1a/1b goaltender. It didn't depend on him playing backup to one of the top goalies in the league (ie very few games at league minimum salary).

Anyone who thought about it for more than 0.3 seconds would drop the crap and think about what they were saying. We are talking Curtis Sanford, Jason Labarbara and Andrew Raycroft. Give your head a shake.

Old
07-06-2009, 11:49 PM
PensFan6687

If it is 500,000 one way, no way this is a signing for the Moose. No way we foot the bill for this one.

Schneider is our starter for yet another season and I am okay with that. Go Moose Go!

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
If it is 500,000 one way, no way this is a signing for the Moose. No way we foot the bill for this one.

Schneider is our starter for yet another season and I am okay with that. Go Moose Go!
Most likely, but I wouldn't expect this to be a Krog like situation but more of a Ouellete situation. The Canucks need goaltending depth, and adding Raycroft, whether at the NHL or AHL level, provides that. That said, I too wouldn't be surprised if Schneider does start the season with Manitoba, after all, he hasn't even played more than 40 games in a season yet, let him take the full workload of 60+ games and see how he does.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote