HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Re-Sign Shane O'Brien

Old
07-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
since you brought it up, game tape replay is the best.
Nah, nothing beats live. You can see the play so much better because you see everyone on the ice.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Penalty machine.
I think, though, that he can be coached re: this.

I like it. He's tough enough when he has to fight/back up teammates, he hits and he's fiesty and committed. Pretty good value at 1.6 per.

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:52 PM
pitseleh

Some quotes from SOB:

Quote:
"My agent had a case ready and I was willing to go if I had to, but I'm not a big fan of going to arbitration," said O'Brien.

"I didn't feel that I wanted to go sit in a room and have pretty much an argument with the general manager of a team I was going to play with. I felt I didn't have a great year and I can do better and was happy with the one-year deal.

"I wanted to be in Vancouver and apparently they wanted me back, so we got everything ironed out. It gives me an opportunity to come in and show that I have more to give and if I can do that, the long-term deal will take care of itself."

"The stuff I went through, I'm definitely more mature," added O'Brien.

"I said things I shouldn't have said, but when you're not playing, you're obviously frustrated. When I came back from that and with the playoff run we had, it was the little things that I learned — the stuff you can control."

"My weight over the summer is a main concern, but I'm driven to show the player I can be," stressed O'Brien, who averaged 14:55 of ice time last season, compared to Ohlund's 21:34.

"I've got to be a little more rock solid in my own zone and make that good first pass. I've got a whole other gear."

Which, of course, is what Gillis wants to hear.

"We think Shane has upside," said the GM. "We know where we're at with him and we're going to continue to work with him and see where we get to. You can't have enough young defencemen."
http://www.theprovince.com/Sports/Br...698/story.html

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Ohhh gee wiz, he was signed for a 100k more than I would have liked, I think we should let him walk for nothing

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

God damn I love SOB.

Despite Hordichuk being on the team, SOB was our main enforcer last season. Remember how Luongo used to get run and had to put up with a lot of shenanigans in previous seasons? This season we saw maybe a 1/4 of that after we acquired SOB. SOB can beat the **** out of people, is a great team guy, and can play the game. He's big, he's good in his own zone, he's got underrated skills, and his just exudes calmness and moxy. SOB is the perfect bottom pairing defenseman.

WE SIGNED SHANE O'BRIEN FOR 1.3 MILLION

WAIT... WE SIGNED SHANE O'BRIEN FOR 1.6 MILLION

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:31 PM
dhabums*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
since you brought it up, game tape replay is the best.
I didn't bring it up.

You should start pre-whining about the next signing. It's going to be bad.

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Seems to me the conversation Gillis had with O'brien went like this:

Gillis: because you gave us some attitude last year we're putting you on probation which means a one year deal only. You got your chance to redeem yourself now, make the most of it.(thinking: if our D was deeper we wouldn't be having this conversation...).

O'Brien: thanks Mr. Gillis. I know I screwed up last year, I'll keep my mouth shut this year, promise. (thinking: yes, dodged the bullet this time!)

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Dado

vCash:
On what planet does a guy being put on probation get a 60% raise?

Talk about putting the "GM" in "GM Place"!

Old
07-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Defeatist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

Probation means he's gone if he runs his mouth again. Based on his play last season, he's worth about 1.5M.

Combine that with him possibly taking less dumb penalties and getting better over the summer and we may be looking at a bargain come next season.

Defeatist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Not the cheapest bottom pairing defender out there but we can afford him if another solid dman isn't brought in. If we do acquire another defenseman that makes over $3mil I think O'Brien gets moved.

Next season if the cap drops to anywhere near $50mil Shane O'Brien likely won't be back. A $1.6mil cap hit for a #5 guy doesn't make much sense.

If O'Brien can get his penalty minutes way down he's a valuable guy to have. On the other hand if he continues to be anywhere near the league leaders in minor penalties without drawing any penalties himself while playing 15:00 a night against weak competition, he's not helping the team.

Here's to hoping the more disciplined O'Brien we saw down the stretch and into the playoffs is the O'Brien that shows up in September.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Crows*

Quote:

THank you!

This hump fest of Shane O'brien is starting to give me gas.

I recal just a few months ago, everyone on this ****ing board was ripping SOB every night as the goat. losing the canucks games with stupid penalties, screwing up in his own end.

Let's be honest. It's pretty sad, he tries to take so many chances yet he can't get any points or goals.

How many times did you see him skate to the net waiting for the back door pass, only to have the puck come flying loose and a 2 on 1 occur the other way.

UGH... people have short memories.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
THank you!

This hump fest of Shane O'brien is starting to give me gas.

I recal just a few months ago, everyone on this ****ing board was ripping SOB every night as the goat. losing the canucks games with stupid penalties, screwing up in his own end.

Let's be honest. It's pretty sad, he tries to take so many chances yet he can't get any points or goals.

How many times did you see him skate to the net waiting for the back door pass, only to have the puck come flying loose and a 2 on 1 occur the other way.

Uhhh, some of us loved SOB all along and most importantly, some of us would not wanna see him walk for nothing even if we didn't?

Common sense: it's like awesome!

Old
07-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Defeatist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
A $1.6mil cap hit for a #5 guy doesn't make much sense.
So you think that is top 4 money?

Defeatist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
Uhhh, some of us loved SOB all along and most importantly, some of us would not wanna see him walk for nothing even if we didn't?

Common sense: it's like awesome!
Right.. and what are you gonna get of value for shane obrien? More value in keeping the 1.6 in cap space to round out the roster more evenly in my opinion.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Oh, it'll come back to them, quick, when Salo injures himself pulling a pre-season booger out of his nose and people suddenly realize that Mr. Shane is, in fact, one of our Top-4 defensemen.

Maybe AV knows something we don't, but until proven otherwise by on-ice performance that's a pretty f'ing scary thought...

Old
07-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Right.. and what are you gonna get of value for shane obrien? More value in keeping the 1.6 in cap space to round out the roster more evenly in my opinion.
Oh so the x bottom 6 player/ 3rd pairing dman would surely be better than having O'Brien unless he was underpaid argument is it?

Old
07-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Harold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Penalty machine.
I'm glad one of the most long-standing trolls could scurry out from under his rock at CalgaryPuck to drop a turd on this thread and then leave.

Nice seeing you again Flash, I'm sure we'll see you again once you can think of another negative barb to add about the Canucks.

Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Oh, it'll come back to them, quick, when Salo injures himself pulling a pre-season booger out of his nose and people suddenly realize that Mr. Shane is, in fact, one of our Top-4 defensemen.

Maybe AV knows something we don't, but until proven otherwise by on-ice performance that's a pretty f'ing scary thought...
Or the "if our best dman gets hurt, we will be screwed" argument.

Perhaps you would be happier if we rounded out the top 6 with elite NHL dmen. Because if Salo gets hurt, then we are gonna have to count on a non top 4 dman to pick up the slack that way.

Old
07-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Perhaps you would be happier if we rounded out the top 6 with elite NHL dmen.
I would be happier if we rounded out either of our top 2 with an elite NHL dman.

Old
07-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
I would be happier if we rounded out either of our top 2 with an elite NHL dman.
I agree. Please write Mike Gillis with how so that you make sure this happens!

Old
07-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
I agree. Please write Mike Gillis with how so that you make sure this happens!
I suspect he's already working on it. On its own, this signing is ludicrous overpayment. However, if Bieksa is about to get moved, then having a cheap #4 allows for an expensive #1. The problem is I don't see a genuinely elite #1 D available, anywhere. Which is not good at all, since we know at least two, if not three of them were available this off-season.

Here's hoping for a miracle...

Old
07-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambofgod View Post
So you think that is top 4 money?
I think there's more to managing a salary cap than you're aware of.

Is $2.5mil what your typical top 6 forward earns? No. Does that mean you want your 3rd line forwards earning $2.5mil? No. Do many starting goalies earn $1.6mil? No. Does that mean it makes sense to spend that on a backup goaltender? Of course not. The same goes for defense. You want to allocate the lion's share of your cap space into the top 4. If that means having less than desirable players at the bottom of the roster(who often play against the other team's depth players), so be it.

Everything isn't black and white.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
I suspect he's already working on it. On its own, this signing is ludicrous overpayment. However, if Bieksa is about to get moved, then having a cheap #4 allows for an expensive #1. The problem is I don't see a genuinely elite #1 D available, anywhere. Which is not good at all, since we know at least two, if not three of them were available this off-season.

Here's hoping for a miracle...
Well, if Mike Gillis lands a legit #1 dman...do you think paying Shane O'Brien 1.6 mil changes that? Or how about, if Mike Gillis lands a #1 dman, does O'Brien's salary matter at all? Has O'Brien's salary ever mattered? That is third pairing money...so what exactly is your problem with a legit third pairing dman getting paid third pairing money?

Old
07-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
That is third pairing money...
No, it is not, which is undoubtably the root cause of your considerable confusion.

Old
07-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Bootsauce

I really think we will see a more in control and focused SOB this year. It seemed to take him a good portion of the season to figure out what part he would play in Vancouver and was trying too hard to fill a number of different roles here. I think he started to really come around late in the season and in the playoffs and just played to his strengths... I am guessing and hoping that 1.6 will seem like a bargain by the end of the season..

Bootsauce is offline   Reply With Quote