HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

HIIT Routine

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2009, 11:32 AM
  #26
OilTownHero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Ugghhh... I am so Embarassed.

I tried the HIIT And the first onee I went as hard as I could and couldn't even do one, the next time I tried I got to three and a half minutes.... I thought I was in way better shape. I think that since I usually do long distance runs that my body is not physically ready to jump right into HIIT. My early fatigue may have also been caused by my horrible eating for the day. Breakfast Bars, Kraft Diner, and McDonalds I am so disapointed. I think I am in fairly good shape, but could my fatigue have been caused by my eating for the day?? I think that I may be setting the bar too high for myself, or today was just a bad day (is that even possible?) For the last about three weeks I have been riding my excersise sttaionary bike for about half hour (the duration of an online game of NHL09) Another question is there any way that I you can help me make these excersises more fun???

If you guys could suggest what suggest what went wrong yesterday, what I should be eating to prepare, how these excersises could be more fun, and maybe I new routine I should try to get started.

I am in the dumps , HELP
I don't think I am in bad shape?! ugghhh can someone explain this PLEASE!!

OilEberle

PS- You guys rock!

OilTownHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 12:29 PM
  #27
Semper Sens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
I would say you're just not used to it yet. Long distance running and HIIT do very different things to your body. You might be in good shape, but it seems clear your body is not used to the intensity. Keep going with it and you'll be able to do the full thing after awhile.

This is kind of good in a way, if you were able to jump it to it no problem it would mean that you don't have much room for improvement. At least here you know that you will be able to get better at it.

On what days do you do HIIT?

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 01:06 PM
  #28
OilTownHero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
i thought i should do it everyday
Posted via Mobile Device

OilTownHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 02:04 PM
  #29
Semper Sens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
Definitely not. I'm not sure how often you should do it, but not everyday. Maybe twice a week. If you try to do it everyday, not only will you not allow your body to recover, you'll also end up hating the routine so much that you'll be unable to continue.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 05:10 PM
  #30
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Well, my advice would be the same as for guys who think Front Squats hurt the shoulders. Just do more, you'll get the hang of it eventually.

I really like bar snatches for HIIT by the way(though you will destroy your technique doing it... who cares lol) couldn't find a better video of what I meant, but whatever, there's a hot chick so it's all good:


Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 07:35 PM
  #31
Semper Sens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
Kareem, so you're aware, oileberle stated he's trying to make a Bantam team, which means he's either 13 or 14. It might be a bit young for him to do snatches. While they can be perfectly safe, they're the kind of thing a young, enthusiastic trainee might hurt themselves on. Same goes for front squats, mostly for the "clean" portion.

I would think, especially if he's training for endurance and stamina and not primarily for strength, that he'll be fine with bodyweight exercises. Although it might be beneficial, there is no need for a 14 year-old to be doing squats, snatches, and bench presses to get ready for hockey. Pushups, bodyweight squats (or maybe squats with dumbells), burpees, chinups, and pullups are all he should need.

EDIT: Also, would mind you sharing with us how foten you do HIIT? I'm not really sure how often he should do it either, or myself when I get better and start. The guy on T-Nation says once a month but that seems a little rare to actually get any kind of progress.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 11:36 PM
  #32
OilTownHero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Here is the excersise goals for tomorrow!

Jog 2 miles
Pushups-4 sets of 15
Sit Ups-4 sets of 20
Pull Ups-3 Sets of 3
HIIT- 1:1 for 10 mins
Tabata-3 mins of burpees (6 reps of 2:1)
Rows-4 sets of 15 with 5 lbs. weights
Handstand Push ups-3 sets of 5
Lunges-5 sets of 20

I will try this out to see how it goes. The excersises or in no particular order. If you have any suggestions I would like to hear them. This is what I want to use to test my abilities.

Thanks Again,

OilEberle

OilTownHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 07:12 AM
  #33
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
Kareem, so you're aware, oileberle stated he's trying to make a Bantam team, which means he's either 13 or 14. It might be a bit young for him to do snatches. While they can be perfectly safe, they're the kind of thing a young, enthusiastic trainee might hurt themselves on. Same goes for front squats, mostly for the "clean" portion.

I would think, especially if he's training for endurance and stamina and not primarily for strength, that he'll be fine with bodyweight exercises. Although it might be beneficial, there is no need for a 14 year-old to be doing squats, snatches, and bench presses to get ready for hockey. Pushups, bodyweight squats (or maybe squats with dumbells), burpees, chinups, and pullups are all he should need.

EDIT: Also, would mind you sharing with us how foten you do HIIT? I'm not really sure how often he should do it either, or myself when I get better and start. The guy on T-Nation says once a month but that seems a little rare to actually get any kind of progress.
I do HIIT 4 times a week. Tabatas at the end of my workouts, it's death but you'll improve your fitness a lot.

I didn't know he was a bantam, I guess I skipped over that part, I assumed he was a 16-17 midget player. Many of the exercises I listed though, he can do with a simple bar or even his bodyweight. Single leg squats would be an awesome bodyweight exercise he can try out. If he can do a full pistol squat at his age.. he'll be very strong. Same for jump squats.

For snatches, you're right, he shouldn't do them, unless he has professional supervision.

Anyways, his workout is actually pretty darn decent for his age.


Last edited by Little Nilan: 07-06-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:22 AM
  #34
AngryBoss
Registered User
 
AngryBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 659
vCash: 500
Tabata and HIIT are brutal when you first start out. There's no need to be embarrassed if you can't complete a full cycle of either early on.
Heck, even after a few months of these programs, it's still brutal.

When I used to box, I saw plenty of marathon runners, weightlifters and personal trainers hit the floor after a handful of rounds in the ring. And that was only hitting the contact mitts. It wasn't even real sparring.

There's a huge difference between aerobic (long distance endurance) and anaerobic (HITT/Tabata) exercise.

Give yourself some credit for at least trying to perform these workout routines. You'll get better as you move along. Good luck!

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
  #35
Semper Sens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
...If he can do a full pistol squat at his age.. he'll be very strong. Same for jump squats...
Pistols would be pretty crazy, I know I sure can't do them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilEberle View Post
Here is the excersise goals for tomorrow!

Jog 2 miles
Pushups-4 sets of 15
Sit Ups-4 sets of 20
Pull Ups-3 Sets of 3
HIIT- 1:1 for 10 mins
Tabata-3 mins of burpees (6 reps of 2:1)
Rows-4 sets of 15 with 5 lbs. weights
Handstand Push ups-3 sets of 5
Lunges-5 sets of 20
...
...
Thanks Again,

OilEberle
That looks good, just remember that adding reps to sets does not equal "strength progress" with bodyweight (or with weights, for that matter). The only thing you will gain by going from 15 pushups per set to 20 is muscular endurance, which is good too, but probably not what you're going for. Instead, when you're ready to move on from 15 pushups, try 15 diamond pushups, or 15 weighted pushups.

Going up in reps for the pullups will give you more strength though since the number of reps is so low (nothing wrong with that though, I think average man can do 1 or something). Once you get to 15, time to start either weighted or go for one-arm chinup .

Also, pullups are hard on your elbows. You may get elbow tendonitis (I think "tennis elbow"?) if you do them on an off day or something. If you do, you'll just feel a bit of pain when you try to do one. DO NOT do anymore pullups until you are sure you're better. Tendonitis can be really annoying if you don't give it time to get better.

If you start having trouble adding reps for pullups, look up grease-the-groove, it is very helpful.

Lastly, good for you for doing handstand pushups, they're awesome. If you train for freestanding handstand you will get stronger wrists too, in addition to having a great time.

Good luck!

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:49 PM
  #36
OilTownHero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Jog 2 miles- ELIMINATED
Pushups-4 sets of 15
Sit Ups-4 sets of 20
Pull Ups-3 Sets of 3
HIIT- 1:1 for 10 mins-ELIMINATED
Tabata-3 mins of burpees (6 reps of 2:1)-ELIMINATED
Rows-4 sets of 15 with 5 lbs. weights
Handstand Push ups-3 sets of 2
Lunges-5 sets of 20

I did everything but the eliminated excersises and plan to do those eliminated ones tomorrow. So Mon/Wed/Fri is Strenght and Tues/Thurs/Sun is Conditioning... What do you guys think.... I did those strenght excersises and felt great! But the handstand push ups are too hard for me I could barely do two little ones. So I may eliminate that and add it with something else. I will do these excersises until the end of the week and then next monday, I will raise the reps of excersise that I think need to be raised and will keep raising to increase my strenght and capacity etc. What do you guys think.

Is it a good work out, or pretty weak in general,

THANKS!

OilEberle

OilTownHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:28 AM
  #37
dirtydevs9
 
dirtydevs9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilEberle View Post
Jog 2 miles- ELIMINATED
Pushups-4 sets of 15
Sit Ups-4 sets of 20
Pull Ups-3 Sets of 3
HIIT- 1:1 for 10 mins-ELIMINATED
Tabata-3 mins of burpees (6 reps of 2:1)-ELIMINATED
Rows-4 sets of 15 with 5 lbs. weights
Handstand Push ups-3 sets of 2
Lunges-5 sets of 20

I did everything but the eliminated excersises and plan to do those eliminated ones tomorrow. So Mon/Wed/Fri is Strenght and Tues/Thurs/Sun is Conditioning... What do you guys think.... I did those strenght excersises and felt great! But the handstand push ups are too hard for me I could barely do two little ones. So I may eliminate that and add it with something else. I will do these excersises until the end of the week and then next monday, I will raise the reps of excersise that I think need to be raised and will keep raising to increase my strenght and capacity etc. What do you guys think.

Is it a good work out, or pretty weak in general,

THANKS!

OilEberle
Great wholesome workout for your age dude. I still don't understand what the tabata burpees are about?

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:19 PM
  #38
Kunitziwa
Registered User
 
Kunitziwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
For those of you who use the HIIT routine on a treadmill, what MPH do you use? and do you HAVE to go 30 seconds on, 30 off? would a minute on minute off be too much?

I did 10 sets of 1min/1min @ 10mph but its not a full sprint I don't think, feels like more of a fast jog. like its fast, but I feel I can run faster than what the treadmill is allowing, should I just up the incline since it can't go faster? I will say that I was running 2-3 miles at 6-8mph before (which usually took 13-20 min) but the 20 min of what I described above felt like a much better workout.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:41 PM
  #39
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalForOne View Post
For those of you who use the HIIT routine on a treadmill, what MPH do you use? and do you HAVE to go 30 seconds on, 30 off? would a minute on minute off be too much?

I did 10 sets of 1min/1min @ 10mph but its not a full sprint I don't think, feels like more of a fast jog. like its fast, but I feel I can run faster than what the treadmill is allowing, should I just up the incline since it can't go faster? I will say that I was running 2-3 miles at 6-8mph before (which usually took 13-20 min) but the 20 min of what I described above felt like a much better workout.
You can't do HIIT properly on a treadmill.

First of all, as you mentioned, you are probably faster than the treadmill's top speed. Secondly, a treadmill doesn't allow you to really "explode" with a burst of speed. The treadmill has to gradually increase to its top speed from a walking speed.

If you really want to do it though, you might be best served to increase the incline.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:51 PM
  #40
Kunitziwa
Registered User
 
Kunitziwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
You can't do HIIT properly on a treadmill.

First of all, as you mentioned, you are probably faster than the treadmill's top speed. Secondly, a treadmill doesn't allow you to really "explode" with a burst of speed. The treadmill has to gradually increase to its top speed from a walking speed.

If you really want to do it though, you might be best served to increase the incline.
well I leave it running at 10mph if thats any better, so how is it supposed to be done then dryland? on a bike?

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:41 PM
  #41
Areid1990
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalForOne View Post
well I leave it running at 10mph if thats any better, so how is it supposed to be done then dryland? on a bike?
I think you can do it on a bike, but if you have a stop watch and a field that's a perfect setting! You can do it on a treadmill maybe just add a few seconds to counter act the time it takes for the treadmill to get up to speed that's what I did when I first started and it was to cold out to go outside for it, but I am kind of new to HIIT started a while ago, but always stopped.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 10:28 PM
  #42
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Cardio strength training or plyo HIITs is the way to go IMO.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 11:13 PM
  #43
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalForOne View Post
well I leave it running at 10mph if thats any better, so how is it supposed to be done then dryland? on a bike?
Not bad. If I'm running for "distance" on the treadmill I'll set it to 8.5mph... and everytime I hit a .8 number (0.8, 1.8, and 2.8) I kick it up to 10mph and gun it until the full mile is complete.

As a hockey player, I see no benefit from running more than 3 miles at a time. I save the real distance stuff for the bicycle.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.