HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Re-Sign Shane O'Brien

Old
07-07-2009, 12:06 AM
alternate

vCash: 500
I was hoping he'd sign for $1.1m. maybe wishful thinking, but that $.5m covers the 13 forward or the 7th dman, freeing up that little bit extra for the top of the roster.

but it's not a terrible over-payment, especially if the powers that be are confident that he can fill in on the second pairing next season. he did show glimpses of being a top 4 last season, and he's still relatively young and should have his best hockey in front of him.

with that said, we've probably got 7 or our top 8 on the roster now and haven't upgraded our footspeed much, if at all. can't speak on Rome, but I'm not overly optimistic that he'll be an upgrade on Ohlund. still a long way to go before the first puck drops, I know.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Ernie

Shane O'Brien can play hockey (averaged 15min ice time last season).
Shane O'Brien can fight (won 8/9 fights last year, according to hockeyfights.com).

Shane O'Brien is therefore worth $1.6m. An enforcer who doesn't hurt his team on the score sheet and provides protection on the ice is worth that kind of money.

Yes, his attitude problems were a bit of a concern last year. But as the season went on he seemed to improve. After he was paired up with Bieksa he seemed to try to mimic Bieksa's game, playing on the edge but not going over the line. By the time the playoffs rolled around, his undisciplined penalties ground almost to a halt.

He's got all the tools to be a 2nd pairing guy as soon as this season. Look for him to put up ~15-20 points (a good number with no PP time), play about 17-18 minutes a night, and do a good job keeping opposing players in line.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Bullet Tooth Tony

I like this signing. Truthfully a few of the contracts signed recently have been a little high for my liking but it doesn't surprise me that Gillis, a former player agent, would be something of a "player's GM" and reward them with a *slight* bump in salary over what was expected. Maybe I'm just hopefully idealistic but I would hope that such faith and integrity would be rewarded with some loyalty. Gillis just really seems like a guy who'll go to bat for those guys, and this contract, to me anyways, is just a natural extension of that.

I've always liked O'Brien, going back to when he cracked the Ducks lineup a couple years ago. He seems like a likeable guy, and I think he's a popular guy in the dressing room, which is important too. I was really impressed with his interviews this season, he's actually a breath of fresh air as he offers *gasps of horror* ORIGINAL ANSWERS rather than the cliches... and I guess that's why he got in hot water during the season, he's sometimes too honest!

Yes, he takes his share of dumb penalties, but he's still a kid, relatively speaking, and sins of commission are always easier to rectify than sins of omission. He's got the heart of a lion, and he's easily one of the more physical defensemen on the team. He's got spunk, he cares. To me, he is absolutely 100% a great role player for this team. And I honestly think he could take on some more responsibility this season. He showed a level of coachability this past season, and certainly played strongly down the stretch, so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he'd get some more minutes.

I can't believe people are beefing about this... would you rather have a schmuck like Davison, Nycholat or Vaananen playing on your third pairing? Vaananen was the best of that lot, and he just plain looked lost out there without half the talent or physical play of O'Brien. Blech. I say count your blessings, and thank your lucky stars that we kept the feisty Irishman!

Last edited by Bullet Tooth Tony: 07-07-2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: .
Bullet Tooth Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Tooth Tony View Post
I like this signing. Truthfully a few of the contracts signed recently have been a little high for my liking but it doesn't surprise me that Gillis, a former player agent, would be something of a "player's GM" and reward them with a *slight* bump in salary over what was expected. Maybe I'm just hopefully idealistic but I would hope that such faith and integrity would be rewarded with some loyalty. Gillis just really seems like a guy who'll go to bat for those guys, and this contract, to me anyways, is just a natural extension of that.
I'm not sure I'd attribute it to that.

It was only a couple of seasons ago that O'Brien fetched a 1st round pick in a trade. There are lots of teams around the NHL that wouldn't think twice about giving up a third round pick in an offer sheet to bring O'Brien in. He's relatively young, he's got upside, and he's still an RFA next season.

That sets his baseline value at $1.5m. Adding an extra $100k to get a deal done is a no-brainer.

Old
07-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I'm not sure I'd attribute it to that.

It was only a couple of seasons ago that O'Brien fetched a 1st round pick in a trade. There are lots of teams around the NHL that wouldn't think twice about giving up a third round pick in an offer sheet to bring O'Brien in. He's relatively young, he's got upside, and he's still an RFA next season.

That sets his baseline value at $1.5m. Adding an extra $100k to get a deal done is a no-brainer.
Yeah, I guess. Tampa was slightly nuts to give up a first round pick for him but you're absolutely right, most teams would not hesitate to give up a third round pick in an offer sheet deal.

I still maintain that Gillis is a player's GM, even though I guess I got a little ahead of myself on this particular example. Didn't think about offer sheets and such...

Bullet Tooth Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Flash Walken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
I'm glad one of the most long-standing trolls could scurry out from under his rock at CalgaryPuck to drop a turd on this thread and then leave.

Nice seeing you again Flash, I'm sure we'll see you again once you can think of another negative barb to add about the Canucks.
So, you are disputing the 196 minutes in penalties he had last year?

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:03 AM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
THank you!

This hump fest of Shane O'brien is starting to give me gas.

I recal just a few months ago, everyone on this ****ing board was ripping SOB every night as the goat. losing the canucks games with stupid penalties, screwing up in his own end.

Let's be honest. It's pretty sad, he tries to take so many chances yet he can't get any points or goals.

How many times did you see him skate to the net waiting for the back door pass, only to have the puck come flying loose and a 2 on 1 occur the other way.

UGH... people have short memories.
I watched almost every game last year and I don't recall that happening with any frequency.

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:27 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
He's got all the tools to be a 2nd pairing guy as soon as this season. Look for him to put up ~15-20 points (a good number with no PP time), play about 17-18 minutes a night, and do a good job keeping opposing players in line.
That's the risk in not signing him to a 3x1.5 or something similar. If he does prove himself as a top 4 defenseman, then you lose the chance to lock him up to a low salary, RFA or not. Even if he does stay a bottom pairing guy, he's still marketable at 1.5, especially at his age.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
That's the risk in not signing him to a 3x1.5 or something similar. If he does prove himself as a top 4 defenseman, then you lose the chance to lock him up to a low salary, RFA or not. Even if he does stay a bottom pairing guy, he's still marketable at 1.5, especially at his age.
I think he'd be looking at more than $1.5 on a three year deal, especially since that would include 1 year of UFA. I think it's best to keep the cap flexibility now and then see where the cap is at next year.

He's young, but not THAT young. If he was about to break out into an offensive player, or a shutdown guy, we'd have seen some signs by now. He's not like Krajicek that way, constantly feeling like he's on the cusp of something much greater. I'd say his salary ceiling is probably around $2.5-3m given his natural talents.

Old
07-07-2009, 02:27 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFH View Post
I watched almost every game last year and I don't recall that happening with any frequency.
Nope. Me neither.

I thought he was pretty careful with the puck and had good positioning. His stick skills and vision of the ice are average, so that keeps him back, and it goes without saying that he doesn't have much of a shot. The major knock was undisciplined penalties, especially late in the game, and he seemed to get that under control by the end.