HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders Sign Greg Moore

Old
07-07-2009, 04:34 AM
SML

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Who needs the beat writers when we've got RangerBoy?

But seriously, it seems like the Rangers beat writers have been dropping the ball lately. I found out about the Gomez trade, all our free agent signings, and Cally and Z's arbitration from other sources well before the beat writers posted it on their blogs. I know the newspaper industry is struggling and that hockey coverage isn't much of a priority in NY so I'll try to cut them some slack. But I'm starting to rely more on Canadian blogs and websites than the blogs of the Rangers beat writers...
I would imagine it's tougher than ever to be a beat writer. The same way the internet made the traditional newspaper kinda obsolete, this twitter business is making it impossible to "break" a story. Unless you're actually the first person to hear it, the cat's probably out of the bag. Unless you are a newspaper guy who's working 24-7, you're going to miss alot of stories. Not to mention if I'm paying you to write for my newspaper, I'm not going to be too happy about you leaking all your stories on your blog, that doesn't sell me any newspapers.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 07:23 AM
wereback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
I will be starting a Rangers blog here on this site in the Fall. Hopefully, you will get your news here first.
That's the most exciting thing i've read on this board in a long time......can't wait for your blog to start....and im sure im not the only one.

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I would imagine it's tougher than ever to be a beat writer. The same way the internet made the traditional newspaper kinda obsolete, this twitter business is making it impossible to "break" a story. Unless you're actually the first person to hear it, the cat's probably out of the bag. Unless you are a newspaper guy who's working 24-7, you're going to miss alot of stories. Not to mention if I'm paying you to write for my newspaper, I'm not going to be too happy about you leaking all your stories on your blog, that doesn't sell me any newspapers.
The profession is changing right before our very eyes. I know most of the Rangers beat writers personally for years and they are diligent and smart. But it will be tough to get breaking stories as time goes on and players tweet. Contacts will continue to be very important, but breaking stories less so. What will count more is interpreting the info that everyone is getting. Which is why I am starting the blog. Hopefully it will be up in time for Traverse City.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Section 312

I think it was 3 seasons ago where he had a great training camp. I really thought he was going to make the team then.. But I also recall Jan Mertzig having a great preseason

Section 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:47 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
I will be starting a Rangers blog here on this site in the Fall. Hopefully, you will get your news here first.
NICE.

I have been very upset that they dropped a lot of Rangers coverage going to one person after I was let go as a writer and Edge, but this is great news.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:12 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Sloppy Seconds!

Eh, good luck Greg. Not much else to say really, he never stood out to me. If he gets some more playing time though, that could help.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote