HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev signs with OTT; 2yr/5M Per

Old
07-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Kovy274Hart

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Hmmmm I think this improves the chances of Heatley staying myself. Whoever said Kovy wouldn't play well under Torts has no clue about Alexei Kovalev and what makes him tick.
I don't agree. Heater makes a lot too and this seems like a move to help offset the loss when they move Dany. Counting those two big salaries, they're already at 58.6 with the cap supposedly headed down to 51-52. Yikes. They have all their guys signed except Comrie who will leave and RFA's Bell/Elliott.

If anything, they must subtract salary.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:23 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
I don't agree. Heater makes a lot too and this seems like a move to help offset the loss when they move Dany. Counting those two big salaries, they're already at 58.6 with the cap supposedly headed down to 51-52. Yikes. They have all their guys signed except Comrie who will leave and RFA's Bell/Elliott.

They can easliy cut Auld, Smith and Kelly for over 5 million

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:26 PM
levski87

Quote:
Not really. Kovy's still a productive player and might see an increase if he plays with Spezza depending on Alfredsson.

He made 4.5 with Mtl. So, he gets a slight increase. People laugh at Kovy but he's still a threat. More than most of our guys.
Agreed. The guy is dangerous. I would have loved to have him on the rangers for a one year deal. HE would def help out our PP.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Ottawa is now 2mil over the cap I believe... which leads me to believe that the Kovy trade is setting the stage for Heatley being moved somewhere. And they are gonna want to shed salary --- I wonder if they will deal him to us for cheap to dump the salary?

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Kovy shipped has sailed with the rangers. He left on bad terms second time around. As much as he may be a threat. Give me a hard worker like callahan or even sjo any day over that han.

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Granger View Post
Kovy shipped has sailed with the rangers. He left on bad terms second time around. As much as he may be a threat. Give me a hard worker like callahan or even sjo any day over that han.
I can understand the reason to like a straightforward player more. But Fredrik freakin Sjostrom and his 13 points over Alex Kovalev and his 65? At some point you have to be reasonable.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:16 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
looks like 2 years for $10MM - pretty reasonable. Compared to Gomez nd Drury, he's a huge bargain.

Yeah but Gomez and Drury are 2 worst contracts in hockey so off course Kovalev deal is a bargain comparing to those 2.

It's a bad deal for Sens. They need offense but Kovy wasn't the solution. Again 'if he applies himself' he'll live up to it. Time will tell but I wouldnt want him on my team for anything more than 3.5 mill per (and preferably 1 year deal).

Surprised he didn't go to Washington to play with Ove...

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:20 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Granger View Post

Callahan over Kovalev - hell yes

but not Sjostrom, he may be well liked and a hard worker etc. but I would rather have someone like Kovy who can net 50-60 points with a luckluster effort and close to 75-80 if he's motivated... You want character guys but you have to draw a line somewhere.

Old
07-07-2009, 01:25 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
Ottawa is now 2mil over the cap I believe... which leads me to believe that the Kovy trade is setting the stage for Heatley being moved somewhere. And they are gonna want to shed salary --- I wonder if they will deal him to us for cheap to dump the salary?

Ehhh doesn't that pretty much eliminate us because we have to move salary as well to get something done.

Difference between Heatley's and Rozy's cap hits is 2.5 mill. That's the good part, the bad part is that Rozy still has 3 years left. They need immediate cap relief. There'll need to a 3rd team here.

Old
07-07-2009, 01:29 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
Because we'll be able to absorb Heatley's contract without sending a lot back.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:31 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Yeah but Gomez and Drury are 2 worst contracts in hockey so off course Kovalev deal is a bargain comparing to those 2.

It's a bad deal for Sens. They need offense but Kovy wasn't the solution. Again 'if he applies himself' he'll live up to it. Time will tell but I wouldnt want him on my team for anything more than 3.5 mill per (and preferably 1 year deal).

Surprised he didn't go to Washington to play with Ove...
Funny you say that because IMO Wade Redden's contract is the worst in hockey. He makes .1 mil per year more than Jay Bouwmeester does, and Bouwmeester has the same amount of years remaining. lol.

Brad Richards at 7.8mil per is pretty bad too.

Old
07-07-2009, 01:36 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Funny you say that because IMO Wade Redden's contract is the worst in hockey. He makes .1 mil per year more than Jay Bouwmeester does, and Bouwmeester has the same amount of years remaining. lol.

Brad Richards at 7.8mil per is pretty bad too.
You're right LOL. Gomez and Drury are probably 2nd and 3rd worst in hockey.

Ehh at least Brad Richards produces, 48 in 56 games isn't too bad plus he is still in his prime (29). I could live with it...

Old
07-07-2009, 01:52 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
You're right LOL. Gomez and Drury are probably 2nd and 3rd worst in hockey.

Ehh at least Brad Richards produces, 48 in 56 games isn't too bad plus he is still in his prime (29). I could live with it...
Richards is NOT still in his prime IMO, and while I don't wanna get on his case for no reason too badly, if we had gone out and gotten Richards when TB initially traded him in the place of Gomez and Drury there'd be just as much whining about his contract as theirs have received.

Old
07-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Fletch

darko...

Kovalev scored 65 points. He made his linemates better. He led a team to the playoffs last season. What more do you want for about $5MM a season? If we had players like him not applying themselves I'd be pretty happy.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

I think i'm the only one who believed Murray when he said he Heatley didn't waive to go to Edm he will be a Senator next season.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Kovalev can buy himself a new plane now.
Nah he's moved onto helicopters now.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote