HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Prospect Camp: July 6-10, Dwyer Arena (NU Campus)

Old
07-07-2009, 05:16 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

vCash: 500
Well it was all drills so all my comments should be taken with that understanding

Ennis - Very quick feet, shifty

Biega - He was the biggest surprise for me. Quick, strong, and battling very well. 1-1 puck battle drill. When he had the puck he was very hard to take him off it. Strong on his skates and battled hard. When he was the one without the puck he played physical, quick and fierce, knocking the guy down. Also showed nice hands on a few of his shots.

Jokinen - Nice 1-1 moves

Myers - Using his reach very well. Very good at poke checking with said long reach. Players had a very hard time getting around Myers. Most resorted to shooting through him. Using his frame very well during puck battles, gets position and blocks out the puck (and the sun). His point shot looks good. Gets it through well. Often low and hard. Has excellent positioning along the boards. His skating with the puck is off the charts for someone his size, so fluid and fast. He seems to use his feet less without the puck, relying instead on his long reach. Could be a problem with bigger forwards going through his stick / arms, and quicker ones drawing hooking penalties. Would like to see him use his reach with his feet.

Gerbe - Still insanely quick feet and hands. Uses his speed very well. Seems very competitive this year. Some real nice shots, including a backhand shot in close put top shelf. He goes so fast from zero to full speed, back to zero. Creates a lot of space with that quickness, backing off the D. Reminds me of Afinogenov in that respect. Love the hand eye coordination together with the quick feet and hands, makes for a deadly combination in close to the net. Don't think he can play it Vanek style by parking in front of the net and take a beating to make the play. He may have to play a Briere stealth style, floating in and out of the open spaces around the net and using his quick hands and feet to bang it home.

Kostka - Looked very solid. I actually thought he was Butler for the longest time. Very steady, solid.

Fienhage - Uses his body well. Plays a physical game.

Enroth - Seemed very solid. Flawless in the shootout / breakaway drill I think, and very solid in the one timer drills.

Weber - Looks good. Playing physical and with real nice positioning. Offensive side not as solid. One timers looked real shaky.

Last edited by MacOfNiagara: 07-07-2009 at 06:03 PM.
MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Some thoughts -

- Christiano running drills was pretty funny -- the "come on, sweethearts!" was right out of a DI's book.
- Butler was showing the younger guys how to do some of the drills. Rivet paying it forward.
- Gogulla looks more solid and much more confident.
- McNabb... nice shot for a tough kid.
- Adams gets around pretty well.
- Fienhage likes to initiate contact and goes for leverage.
- Legault was trying to perk up Lagace. And for the record, Sabre jersey name-plate maker -- it's LAGACE, not LEGACE.
- Connor was Knapping.
- The undrafted but draft eligible invitees are all in red.
- Did anyone figure out who 12 Gold was? I wrote everyone down when they came out to warm up and missed him.... and I have no one else to fill in for a number/jersey.
- I am continually impressed with the collection of defensemen. Myers, Butler, Weber, Gragnani, Kostka, Generous, Brennan, Schiestel, Persson, McNabb, Fienhage, Biega, Adams, Crawford, Southorn, and MacKenzie... almost all good skaters, none had issues in the puck drills and all showed up to compete.
- Gerbe kept trying different puck tricks in drills. Sometimes they worked... sometimes not. The kid yearns to score goals.

07-07-2009, 06:15 PM
joshjull

Thank you very much Mac and Chain

I wonder if they will even scrimmage with the ratio of forwards to dmen at the camp.

Chain,

I got to meet Christiano at a USA Hockey level 3 coaches clinic a few years ago. He is a very intense individual. That comment seems to fit well with the impression I had of him that day.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Thank you very much Mac and Chain

I wonder if they will even scrimmage with the ratio of forwards to dmen at the camp.

Chain,

I got to meet Christiano at a USA Hockey level 3 coaches clinic a few years ago. He is a very intense individual. That comment seems to fit well with the impression I had of him that day.
"Ball buster" is a comment I have heard associated to him, in a good way.

Bakes was there. Good to chat some puck with him.

As for scrimmaging.... scuttlebutt is that they will tomorrow in the second half of the practice and then possibly again on Friday when they will be on the ice more.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

No Kassian???

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
No Kassian???
Injured foot.

Old
07-07-2009, 06:35 PM
snieds44

so how does this camp work? they are on the ice from 3-6 and they do mostly drills the whole time and tomorrow they might scrimmage for a little? I am interested in coming down for tomorrow only but i dont want to come down if its just drills and boring. can someone help me out here?

snieds44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:36 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Injured foot.
Any word on the nature of the foot injury? While I expect the upper body / lower body stuff during the playoffs, it would be nice to get some idea of what is going on with Kassian. I assume / hope it is a minor problem, but would like to have some information.

Any word on your end Chain?
Were you the guy way back in the corner on the B rink with the laptop?

Old
07-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Any word on the nature of the foot injury? While I expect the upper body / lower body stuff during the playoffs, it would be nice to get some idea of what is going on with Kassian. I assume / hope it is a minor problem, but would like to have some information.

Any word on your end Chain?
Were you the guy way back in the corner on the B rink with the laptop?
Heh -- no, I was the big guy in the blue shirt next to Playfair by the vending machine.

I caught it on GR that he is recovering from a foot injury and was unable to participate. The nature or cause of it wasn't part of their update -- as long as he's getting with McKinney and laying out what Doug wants him to do for the rest of the summer, I'm happy. Doug's got some talent in that regard.

Old
07-07-2009, 06:40 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Not sure who was running the drill with the D on the second rink early on but man was he running them hard. My legs hurt just watching them. Didn't look like Ruff. Christiano maybe?

Old
07-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Not sure who was running the drill with the D on the second rink early on but man was he running them hard. My legs hurt just watching them. Didn't look like Ruff. Christiano maybe?
Christiano was the short guy in the white cap with the whistle on the main rink. There is a video of him up on Sabres.com right now.

If you want to put faces to names: http://www.scribd.com/doc/6224875/20...Guide-Personal

Regier and Devine were hanging together throughout. McCutcheon had some of the guys on the B rink, along with Corsi. I'm waiting to watch Patrick taking the kids to school -- he has each of the last two years as an assistant.

Ruff was helping Christiano out on the main rink during the one-on-one drills.

Old
07-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Vito_81

Thanks for the info Chain and Mac.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Tyler2829

I don't know much about Kostka, other than he was an undrafted signee. What type of dman is he? Does he have NHL potential?

Tyler2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2829 View Post
I don't know much about Kostka, other than he was an undrafted signee. What type of dman is he? Does he have NHL potential?
Steady, mistake free, defense first guy who can make a solid first pass. He's a guy who is flying under the radar, but could be a recall candidate if he continues his solid play.

He was a prospect camp invitee originally...

Old
07-07-2009, 08:30 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2829 View Post
I don't know about his past and can only comment on what I saw today but he looked real solid to me. As I mentioned earlier he reminded me a lot of Butler. According to the handout today he is 1 inch taller and 22 pounds heavier than Butler.

He seemed to be a well rounded player. Not flashy in any area, but quite solid in all. In position, decent foot speed, good size, uses his body well, had nice one timers during that drill and seems quite calm and composed.

Old
07-07-2009, 08:45 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Here is some other items on Kostka I dug up:

2007-2008
UMass MVP
Hobey Baker canidate
Team Captain
Led defensemen in scoring
Led team in PP goals (as I said I like his point shot, and he worked on it more as the practice wound down)
Team best +11
10 penalties
Took 83 shots

2006-2007
Hockey East All Academic team
+11 second on team

Quite impressive actually. Smart, skilled, leader, offense and defense, likes to shoot, etc.
Quasi-local/regional as well being from Ajax.

Last edited by MacOfNiagara: 07-07-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old
07-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Oh, and Southorn needs a haircut.

Old
07-07-2009, 08:53 PM
CaptPantalones

Really liked how gerbe, myers and gogulla looked. Nate owned the d at times.

Also, had good conversations with zach kassian and darcy regier.

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post

Also, had good conversations with zach kassian and darcy regier.
Details?

Kruschiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:20 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Here is some other items on Kostka I dug up:

2007-2008
UMass MVP
Hobey Baker canidate
Team Captain
Led defensemen in scoring
Led team in PP goals (as I said I like his point shot, and he worked on it more as the practice wound down)
Team best +11
10 penalties
Took 83 shots

2006-2007
Hockey East All Academic team
+11 second on team

Quite impressive actually. Smart, skilled, leader, offense and defense, likes to shoot, etc.
Quasi-local/regional as well being from Ajax.
Not bad stats-wise. Wonder how he went unnoticed for so long.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Mathletic

what do you think of Byron? Do you have any hopes he could be an interesting player some time down the road?

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 10:21 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooey View Post
Details?
Kassian: Nice kid, really wanted to be out there. Talked to him about the draft and playing in Kitchener

Regier: Casual conversation as i did work for the Sabres in college in 07. Talked about life and the kids. I did ask him if he had anything cooking and he said "hes making calls". So not much

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Christiano was the short guy in the white cap with the whistle on the main rink. There is a video of him up on Sabres.com right now.
No cap for Christo. He was the dark haired glider on the main rink directing the skating and puck handling drills in the first 45 minutes.

I'll be back again tmrw thru Friday.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 01:55 AM
OpethianSabre20

Just got back home, I've been out the whole time since I went up to prospect camp. I ended up getting held up a bit and got up their around four, so these are my observations from about 4 PM to 5:30 PM (I was at the Main Rink for the vast majority of the time).

-Myers and Butler were definitely a cut above the rest of the defensemen out there; Myers was very good with his reach and just used his incredible speed to leg pucks out during drills and Butler just flat-out stood people up and I don't recall anyone getting by him either. No one on the D stood out as bad to me though; everyone was doing the drills well like Chain mentioned earlier.

-Fienhage knocked a couple of guys down during a drill which was interesting to me because there wasn't too much hitting going on. It looked like he was trying to make an impression on the people running the drills.

-Lagace really impressed with some of the stuff he did including pinning Myers up against the boards pretty well during the one drill. Definitely looks like he could be a solid late round pick from last year's draft

-Mac summarized my thoughts on Biega pretty well, but Ennis still managed to turn him inside out; Ennis was going up against Biega on the Aux Rink and when Ennis hit the blueline, he picked up the puck with his stick and flipped it over Biega and proceeded to blow by him and ripped a shot past Eno. Also, maybe it's just because I haven't seen him since the WJCs, but Ennis looked a lot more built to me. Hopefully he ends up in Portland this year.

-Not to be outdone by his small counterpart, Gerbe (on the main rink) threaded the needle on a backhanded laser shot that went right past the goalie not named Eno, Enroth, or Knapp despite Southorn pretty much perfectly standing him up at the hash marks I really hope his game can translate to the NHL because his shooting ability is jaw-dropping awesome

-Desousa impressed me with his spunk and tenacity. I don't know if he can go there, but I think he would be a good signing for Portland.

-Weber got worked by Gerbe a bit when he went up against him, but other than that I thought he looked really good; I kind of got the impression that he was itching to bury people into the ice during some of the drills, but couldn't.

-Enroth was far and away the best goalie out of the bench, but then again, he should be with Eno, Knapp, and some invitee being his only competition.

-Not on-ice related, but there were kids who were asking for DARCY freaking REGIER's autograph.

That's all I've got so far; it was kind of hard to critique some of these guys because all they were doing were drills, but I'll try and look at some different guys during the next time I'm up there and hopefully they scrimmage tomorrow so I can get a better feel on their play (if I can actually make it up there tomorrow, ****ing jury duty). I'll also try and snag some pics tomorrow too if I end up making it. BTW, did anyone see Brennan out there at all? He was another guy I wanted to focus on.

EDIT: Here's a short, decent video of Day 1.
http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/console.js...d=668&id=44695

Last edited by OpethianSabre20: 07-08-2009 at 02:04 AM.
OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 04:35 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
No cap for Christo. He was the dark haired glider on the main rink directing the skating and puck handling drills in the first 45 minutes.

I'll be back again tmrw thru Friday.
Who was the guy in the cap -- I thought it was him?