HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Predators Rookie Schedule & Roster Released

Old
06-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Predators Rookie Schedule & Roster Released

Link

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:29 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Glad to see Lindback there. I hope we can get him over here after next year.

Anybody have any info on Wellman? He put up great numbers at Amherst as a freshman, but that's really all I know.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:48 PM
lstcyr

Sorry but Wellman goes to UMass Amherst. Amherst is an entirely different school.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:58 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Sorry but Wellman goes to UMass Amherst. Amherst is an entirely different school.
That's what I meant, smarty pants.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:24 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
That's what I meant, smarty pants.
Sorry. I'm an alumnus of UMass and I can vouch for the BIG difference between the two.

Old
07-01-2009, 09:01 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

There's a lot of UMASS campuses. Dartmouth, Boston, Amherst, ETC. Amherest is the only one with Div One hockey the other's are D three

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:12 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

which one is the titular subject of a Pixies song, though?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:06 AM
lstcyr

I went there so long ago that there was really only the Amherst campus at the time. Boston was a commuter school.

Old
07-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Panopticon

Why is Laakso still on the roster for this thing? Must be his third or fourth development camp... Maybe they wanted to see how his shoulder is doing after the surgery (btw, I've heard it's recovered/recovering really well)...

He's the oldest one there, too...

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon View Post
Why is Laakso still on the roster for this thing? Must be his third or fourth development camp... Maybe they wanted to see how his shoulder is doing after the surgery (btw, I've heard it's recovered/recovering really well)...

because he's still a prospect.

Old
07-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:

To get a first-hand look at his recovery from season-ending shoulder surgery is definitely one reason, but not the main reason. The camp is for all first and second year pros along with all amateur, junior, and European prospects that have not turned pro yet.

For example, last season was Sulzer's second as a pro in Milwaukee, therefore despite the fact that he is coming off a similiar injury, he will not be at camp.

Honestly, I think the organization is excited to get a look at Laakso next week to gauge how competitive he will be come main camp where he likely will be given the opportunity to play in some exhibition games to judge his readiness for a call-up in season. Teemu was definitely on the Preds radar for a call-up last year before he was injured and is probably the best defensive-defenseman on the Ads.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The camp is for all first and second year pros along with all amateur, junior, and European prospects that have not turned pro yet.
Ah, thanks. I just thought it was weird that they actually wanted the D-man from Milwaukee that was the most mature prospect last season to attend a development camp. I didn't know they had rules like this.

Quote:
Honestly, I think the organization is excited to get a look at Laakso next week to gauge how competitive he will be come main camp where he likely will be given the opportunity to play in some exhibition games to judge his readiness for a call-up in season. Teemu was definitely on the Preds radar for a call-up last year before he was injured and is probably the best defensive-defenseman on the Ads.
In the games I saw (around Christmas and New Years), he was clearly the best defensive defenseman. With Zanon gone and deVries likely gone as well (?), there might even be room for a guy like him on the team. Great PK guy and a reliable defensive player to play with someone a bit more offensive. At least I hope so.

Although if Franson and Sulzer both make Nashville's roster, it could be good for Laakso to play in Milwaukee. But only if it means PP time for him to develop that side of his game too. But I'm sure the coach will just rather play Blum, Matheson, Dietrich or even a 4th forward on PP than Laakso...

I think in his case, it's just been a matter of chance that he's developed this way. As a youngster, he used to put up a good amount of points and was considered a two-way defenseman, but I think he was a bit rushed into the SM-liiga, where he saw limited minutes (rarely PP) and was often paired with really unreliable guys or just really offensive guys so he was never in a position himself where he could've experimented with and developed his offensive skills. He's just always been stuck covering for other people's mistakes, and the same thing continued in Milwaukee...

Old
07-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I'm trying to remember... last year during training camp, Preds kept 1 d-man up, longer than all the others, to get a longer look at him. Who was it? Laakso? Sulzer?

edit: It was Sulzer

Last edited by Paranoid Android: 07-07-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Habs in Kentucky

Who is all going out?

I was wondering how many are going out to the Centennial Sportsplex this week to watch the camp. I am planning on attending my first camp this Sat. I was just wondering from anybody that has attended in the past, is it a pretty fan friendly interaction with the players too? How are the crowds?

Habs in Kentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs in Kentucky View Post
I was wondering how many are going out to the Centennial Sportsplex this week to watch the camp. I am planning on attending my first camp this Sat. I was just wondering from anybody that has attended in the past, is it a pretty fan friendly interaction with the players too? How are the crowds?
Varies day to day on crowd size due to work schedules. Saturday is usually packed and you'll see a lot of families attend during the weekend session.

I think the access to and interaction with the players is very first-rate. On Rink 2 (Predators rink) the players will sign autographs as they come off the ice to head to the locker room and if you don't catch them then, you should be able to catch them in the back parking lot along the fence line as they head out to their vehicles. It always depends on the players, but almost always you will see the players flip pucks to the kids in the stands and whatnot.

On both rinks you are able to get right up against the glass or sit in the bleachers depending on your preference.

A very cool experience that I highly recommend to cure your summer hockey withdrawals. I'll be there all three days.

Old
07-07-2009, 09:40 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

If someone can give a bit of a report on Ben Ryan, I would appreciate. thx.

07-07-2009, 01:00 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
To get a first-hand look at his recovery from season-ending shoulder surgery is definitely one reason, but not the main reason. The camp is for all first and second year pros along with all amateur, junior, and European prospects that have not turned pro yet. .

poile talked about it in the paper today

" He said the Preds aren’t necessarily as interested as they had been in picking up a veteran defenseman through free agency, largely because of the organization’s depth at that position.

Poile noted, for instance, that prospect defenseman Teemu Laakso, who’s dealt with shoulder problems the last couple of seasons, is looking healthy now.

``He tested out great, says he feels great,’’ Poile said. ``We liked what he did down in Milwaukee and he could certainly be a candidate to play for our team. So you weigh that kind of thing against what’s out there.’’
"

Tennessean Article

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Habs in Kentucky

Pickard Wilson

Anybody attending camp today, how did Pickard look, he had a fairly rough WHL tournament and was wondering if he was participating fully and had no injuries?

How has Wilson's skating look. I believe that is the only aspect of his game that may make his season start in Milwaukee rather than in Nashville. If his skating is good enough he could really benefit from learning from players like Dumont and Arnott.

I look forward to attending the camp and checking out things myself.

Habs in Kentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I've always really liked Laakso. I truly believe he will make it onto our roster or another teams roster either this year or the next.

07-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs in Kentucky View Post
Anybody attending camp today, how did Pickard look, he had a fairly rough WHL tournament and was wondering if he was participating fully and had no injuries?

How has Wilson's skating look. I believe that is the only aspect of his game that may make his season start in Milwaukee rather than in Nashville. If his skating is good enough he could really benefit from learning from players like Dumont and Arnott.

I look forward to attending the camp and checking out things myself.
Camp doesn't start until tomorrow

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:10 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
Camp doesn't start until tomorrow
The on-ice portion. I think he was confused because fitness and baseline testing started today.

I'm going over there tomorrow, I'll post my thoughts.

Old
07-08-2009, 04:22 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
The on-ice portion. I think he was confused because fitness and baseline testing started today.

I'm going over there tomorrow, I'll post my thoughts.
I think they've done something on ice already, since there's video of them skating on the Preds website... or was that just part of the testing?

Old
07-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I think they've done something on ice already, since there's video of them skating on the Preds website... or was that just part of the testing?
It was a skating evaluation that was part of the physical fitness testing. All individual drills that some would love to watch, but that others would be bored senseless at...

Team drills start in about 90 minutes. I'm heading down to the rink right now.

Of note in that video, 2009 2nd rounder Zach Budish participated in the on-ice testing yesterday. Reports last week were that he was not going to skate during the camp as he continues his recovery from a torn ACL (said he was around 80% recovered). I'm interested to see if he is on the ice today where there will be contact or whether they will hold him out.

Old
07-08-2009, 09:31 AM
predfan24

Quote:
It was a skating evaluation that was part of the physical fitness testing. All individual drills that some would love to watch, but that others would be bored senseless at...

Team drills start in about 90 minutes. I'm heading down to the rink right now.

Of note in that video, 2009 2nd rounder Zach Budish participated in the on-ice testing yesterday. Reports last week were that he was not going to skate during the camp as he continues his recovery from a torn ACL (said he was around 80% recovered). I'm interested to see if he is on the ice today where there will be contact or whether they will hold him out.

Slake, can't wait for you to do a rundown for the unlucky souls like me who can't be there!

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Nashville

Here's a photo gallery of my pictures from today. Enjoy.

http://www.insidehockey.com/blog/pho...tors_prospects

Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote