HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Washington Capitals Development Camp, July 13-18

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2009, 06:15 PM
  #1
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,390
vCash: 500
Washington Capitals Development Camp, July 13-18

I know this in the News and Notes but I think it needs/deserves a stand-alone thread. As noted in the release,

The on-ice workouts, which will include multiple scrimmages, are open to the public and media. The off-ice workouts are closed to the public and media.


Links

Centralized page on Caps website for Development Camp information including links to interviews

Caps announcement about schedule and some players attending

link to Caps prospects attending - 24 on the list

2009 Developmemt Camp Guide by the Caps Media Staff (pdf)

Schedule per 7/2 announcement

Sunday, July 12 Players arrive
Monday, July 13 Group A on ice at 10 a.m.; Group B on ice at 2:30 p.m.
Tuesday, July 14 Group B on ice at 10 a.m.; Group A on ice at 2:30 p.m.
Wednesday, July 15 Group A on ice at 10 a.m.; Group B on ice at 11:15 a.m.; scrimmage from 3:30 6:30 p.m.
Thursday, July 16 Group B on ice at 10 a.m.; Group A on ice at 11:15 a.m.; scrimmage from 3:30 6:30 p.m.
Friday, July 17 Group A on ice at 10 a.m.; Group B on ice at 11:45 a.m.
Saturday, July 18 Scrimmage from 10 a.m. 1 p.m.; players depart


Attendees - Confirmed

Forwards (14 contracted and/or drafted prospects)
Francois Bouchard
Joel Broda
Trevor Bruess
Greg Burke
Benjamin Casavant
Stefan Della Rovere
Phil DeSimone
Cody Eakin
Andrew Glass
Anton Gustafsson
Jake Hauswirth
Dmitry Kugreyshev
Garrett Mitchell
Mathieu Perreault

plus 11 FA invites
Sean Backman
Pat Cannone
Michael Dubuc
Reid Edmondson
Jason Fredricks
Eric Kattelus
Denny Kearney
Owen Meyer (waiting for confirmation this is the right prospect)
Everett Sheen
Nick Sorkin
Mike Testwuide

Defensemen (8 contracted and/or drafted prospects)
John Carlson
Joe Finley
Brett Flemming
Josh Godfrey
Eric Mestery
Zach Miskovic
Dmitri Orlov
Patrick Wey

plus 4 FA invites
Nils Backstrom
Deron Cousens
Ricky Doriott
Eric Doyle (waiting for confirmation this is the right prospect)

Goalies (2 contracted and/or drafted prospects/2 FA)
Dan Dunn
Braden Holtby
Dustin Carlson (FA)
Garrett Zemlak (FA)

Other

So the consolidated list of FA invites (and a couple of best guesses) given the names and positions posted:

goalie FA invites

Dustin Carlson, NCAA Ohio State hockeydb D. Carlson

Garrett Zemlak, WHL, Prince Albert hockeydb Zemlak

dmen FA invites

Nils Backstrom hockeydb Backstrom and UAA bio; NCAA-UAA, senior

Deron Cousens hockeydb Cousens and Mich Tech bio; NCAA-Michigan Tech, junior

Ricky Doriott hockeydb Doriott and Michigan Tech bio, NCAA-Michigan Tech, soph

Doyle, possibly Eric Doyle from Swift Current; waiting for confirmation...hockeydb Doyle; teammate of Eakin's

forward FA invites

Sean Backman hockeydb Backman and Yale bio; NCAA - Yale, senior, has attended before;

Pat Cannone hockeydb Cannone and Miami bio; NCAA - Miami Ohio, junior

Michael Dubuc hockeydb Dubuc; signed to Hershey AHL contract for '09-10

Reid Edmondson, hockeydb Edmondson and link to Burnaby Express stats and link, looks like he is headed to Geneseo (NCAA Div. III) for 2009-10

Jason Fredricks hockeydb Fredricks and Colgate bio, NCAA-Colgate, just completed his senior season; teammate of Kyle Wilson's for one season

Eric Kattelus hockeydb Kattelus and Michigan Tech bio, NCAA-Mich Tech, junior; (also, his dad is the asst coach with Ojibwa Eagles; I think he was teammates with Hauswirth in the past as they both played for Ojibwa Eagles in what should have been the same time period

Denny Kearney hockeydb Kearney and Yale bio, NCAA-Yale, junior

Owen Meyer - hockeydb Meyer and Army bio, NCAA-Army, senior

Everett Sheen hockeydb Sheen and Holy Cross bio; NCAA-Holy Cross, junior

Nick Sorkin link to profile; from Maryland; from articles it appears he had planned to play with Manchester Monarchs before heading to UNH, but he was drafted by Waterloo/USHL in May and sounds like he plans to head to Waterloo for next season; link to article from December

Mike Testwuide hockeydb Testwuide and Colorado College bio, NCAA-Colorado College, senior

notes: college class listed is the '09-10 season, i.e., Backman is heading into his senior season

Also, there are two threads in the prospect section about FA invites/attendees and summer/development prospect camps around the league

note: SDR was an 2008 draft pick not 2007 as indicated in the announcement linked above

OT: Brett Leffler, now a FA, is scheduled to attend Chicago's camp link


Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 07-16-2009 at 10:05 PM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:20 PM
  #2
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Sticky?

Someone let me know how mp's fitness looks this year.

Also interested in wey and the first three picks if they show

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:03 AM
  #3
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,335
vCash: 50
Thanks sk8. I just got the holiday request in so i will be lurking around Kettler for the scrimmages, capturing video. I think they finally got their beer license at the new snack bar. Couldnt beat the $2.75 Heinkens last year though.

+1 Sticky. Unstick the Gus thread if need be.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:48 PM
  #4
LadyIce
Registered User
 
LadyIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,551
vCash: 500
Having to work Sunday, I'm informing the new Poobah that I'm leaving early most likely Thursday, to attend the afternoon scrimmage.

If all goes well, I should be there Monday and/or Tuesday for some of the sessions.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:05 PM
  #5
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,187
vCash: 50
I won't be able to make it this year...So hopefully some of you who can make it will give us out-of-towners some information.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 09:40 PM
  #6
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Will we see Dmitri Kugryshev at camp this year?

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 09:48 PM
  #7
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
Will we see Dmitri Kugryshev at camp this year?
Unless he's nursing some sort of injury he'd probably be there.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:11 AM
  #8
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,390
vCash: 500
Article about Eakin from a few days ago: link

"I head to Washington on the 12th so I will go back home for a couple of weeks, get some ice time, get sharp, and then back to Swift Current in the fall. I am excited for it and I think that we have lots of potential this season to have a really strong club."

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:03 PM
  #9
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,676
vCash: 500
Goaltender Garrett Zemlak invited to development camp.

He played with Holtby and the Blades from '06-08.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 07:46 PM
  #10
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Goaltender Garrett Zemlak invited to development camp.

He played with Holtby and the Blades from '06-08.
Do they usually do 4 goalies, or is this an indication that Dunn won't be able to make it out this year?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:03 PM
  #11
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Have they announced the goalies yet?

You'd think that prior to the playoffs both neuvy and varly should go. But it kind of looks likes a demotion to make a roster player go to development camp.
Even if he needs it. However makes a little negative statement to neuvy if he has to come but his drafted peer doesn't.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:06 PM
  #12
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,187
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Have they announced the goalies yet?

You'd think that prior to the playoffs both neuvy and varly should go. But it kind of looks likes a demotion to make a roster player go to development camp.
Even if he needs it. However makes a little negative statement to neuvy if he has to come but his drafted peer doesn't.
If it was up to me, both Varly and Neuvy would be there. Hell, I'd make Theo go too.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:24 PM
  #13
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,335
vCash: 50
I have to say I was pretty impressed with Dunn last year. Maybe it was his size, or just the lack of competition, but he looked pretty good to my amateur eyes. But I think its wise for the team to have our young goalies in attendance. We have all but handed the starting spot to Varly next year but this fan thinks he is young and still developing his overall game, and dcamp is a wise place to work on a few things. Like puck handling.

I am kind of surprised we didnt draft a goalie this year. Since we didnt, we need Neuvy and Varly there running the show and making the noobs earn their points. Watch the scrimmages be 0 - 0 lol.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:28 PM
  #14
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Do they usually do 4 goalies, or is this an indication that Dunn won't be able to make it out this year?
Four from what I recall; 2 per group if they can. Also, they typically have had an FA goalie or two at the dev. camp.

There is a chance one or both of Varlamov and Neuvirth won't be there based on their long seasons and playing pro this season, but based on previous camps, it's very possible one or both attend. Right now we have to wait and see when they announce the roster.

Dunn has attended the last 2 years and has to pay his own way as an NCAA player. Combined with where he is on the Caps goalie depth chart, who knows what the plan is for him this summer. Speculation, but I was wondering if he might leave SCSU/transfer based on lack of playing time behind Weslosky combined with Mike Lee (Phoenix '09 draft pick) expected to join the team for this coming season. I haven't seen anything from Dunn or SCSU to indicate that is the case, so I assume he is headed back for his junior season.

So it's possible it's Holtby, Neuvirth, Varlamov plus Zemlak. Or one of the first 3 is not attending and possibly Dunn is.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:09 PM
  #15
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Four from what I recall; 2 per group if they can. Also, they typically have had an FA goalie or two at the dev. camp.

There is a chance one or both of Varlamov and Neuvirth won't be there based on their long seasons and playing pro this season, but based on previous camps, it's very possible one or both attend. Right now we have to wait and see when they announce the roster.

Dunn has attended the last 2 years and has to pay his own way as an NCAA player. Combined with where he is on the Caps goalie depth chart, who knows what the plan is for him this summer. Speculation, but I was wondering if he might leave SCSU/transfer based on lack of playing time behind Weslosky combined with Mike Lee (Phoenix '09 draft pick) expected to join the team for this coming season. I haven't seen anything from Dunn or SCSU to indicate that is the case, so I assume he is headed back for his junior season.

So it's possible it's Holtby, Neuvirth, Varlamov plus Zemlak. Or one of the first 3 is not attending and possibly Dunn is.
Yeah, I know Dunn's been there before (I remember seeing him having lunch with some of the other NCAA's in the food court downstairs, since I'm sure he was on a budget ). I just figure for him it's got to be a very year-to-year thing since he's got to pay his own way, and it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up missing it for one reason or another.

I had just assumed Varlamov and Neuvirth would both not attend seeing as they'd already made their NHL debuts, but then again maybe the team will still want them there. It would be kind of weird to have Holtby be the only Caps goalie in the entire camp.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
  #16
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Yeah, I know Dunn's been there before (I remember seeing him having lunch with some of the other NCAA's in the food court downstairs, since I'm sure he was on a budget ). I just figure for him it's got to be a very year-to-year thing since he's got to pay his own way, and it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up missing it for one reason or another.

I had just assumed Varlamov and Neuvirth would both not attend seeing as they'd already made their NHL debuts, but then again maybe the team will still want them there. It would be kind of weird to have Holtby be the only Caps goalie in the entire camp.
bah, most of them eat at the food court after their sessions, not just the NCAA guys, but yes, most NCAA guys make the decision on a year to year basis

Given Neuvirth and Varlamov are likely back home and the seasons they had, it wouldn't shock me if they weren't at the development camp, but in the past there have been some surprising attendees so that's why I left that as either way. We should know soon enough.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:24 PM
  #17
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
bah, most of them eat at the food court after their sessions, not just the NCAA guys, but yes, most NCAA guys make the decision on a year to year basis

Given Neuvirth and Varlamov are likely back home and the seasons they had, it wouldn't shock me if they weren't at the development camp, but in the past there have been some surprising attendees so that's why I left that as either way. We should know soon enough.
Yeah, but it was just 3 of them (Dunn, DeSimone, and someone else I didn't recognize offhand) so I figured the team had provided something for everyone else but that the NCAA guys weren't allowed to accept it or something. They were the only 3 I ever saw down there so I justified it to myself "oh yeah, they're NCAAers, they've got to pay their own way" even if I was way off base there.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
  #18
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,335
vCash: 50
its kind of funny i rode down the elevators last year with Alzner and two other hershey guys and they were talking hockey talk about their next two meal sizes since they had a scrimmage later on or the next day; I cant remember for sure.

"You going big big? I am going small big" Then KA made some joke about the guy planning on eating two big meals needing to be rolled onto the ice, and said he was headed over to get a danish I think it was.

Camp seemed to be clean last year. With only SDR out there, it really wasnt a surprise. I bet big Joe Finley brings a bit more thump this dcamp. Maybe those 2 will have a little talk.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:46 PM
  #19
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
...
Camp seemed to be clean last year. With only SDR out there, it really wasnt a surprise. I bet big Joe Finley brings a bit more thump this dcamp. Maybe those 2 will have a little talk.
From what I recall, Bartley wasn't exactly being shy last year during camp. This year he will be trying to make an impression at the Isles camp.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:54 PM
  #20
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,187
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
its kind of funny i rode down the elevators last year with Alzner and two other hershey guys and they were talking hockey talk about their next two meal sizes since they had a scrimmage later on or the next day; I cant remember for sure.

"You going big big? I am going small big" Then KA made some joke about the guy planning on eating two big meals needing to be rolled onto the ice, and said he was headed over to get a danish I think it was.

Camp seemed to be clean last year. With only SDR out there, it really wasnt a surprise. I bet big Joe Finley brings a bit more thump this dcamp. Maybe those 2 will have a little talk.
I rode the elevator down last year with SDR and another player I didn't recognize. They were talking about what they were going to do when they got back home.

Last year I remember Osala and Pinnizzotto having a couple of run-ins but it wasn't much.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:58 PM
  #21
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I rode the elevator down last year with SDR and another player I didn't recognize. They were talking about what they were going to do when they got back home.

Last year I remember Osala and Pinnizzotto having a couple of run-ins but it wasn't much.
Pinizzotto is always having run-ins, lol. Was last year the year he plowed into Varlamov, I think it was.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 10:55 PM
  #22
bleuetbio
Registered User
 
bleuetbio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
what kinf of player is Joe Finley exactly and what can he bring to the team???

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:52 AM
  #23
Roccoman
Registered User
 
Roccoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuetbio View Post
what kinf of player is Joe Finley exactly and what can he bring to the team???
SIZE. thump. probably fighting.


still a project tho.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 07:05 AM
  #24
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,335
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Pinizzotto is always having run-ins, lol. Was last year the year he plowed into Varlamov, I think it was.
I tell you what, if i was a scrappy prospect I would be bringing it in dcamp. Knowing we are planning on going enforcerless, maybe there is a little window there. We all know things dont always go as planned. And guys have been scrappy in camps to get noticed for as long as I have followed hockey. Less so these days, but it will still leave a mark good or bad. If a guy is there to make the team, and knows he is not going to outskill anyone, sometimes you do what you gotta do. Matt Bradley was never a fighter coming up - look at him now. Do what you have to do to get noticed.

I didnt notice Bartley last year but was only at Kettler for parts of the scrimmages. Maybe I thought it was SDR lol. I was lost with all the new numbers i had to learn.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 09:39 AM
  #25
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,676
vCash: 500
Dev. camp roster.

Vogel said the total roster was 42 yesterday so there should be 18 unlisted invitees as well (Zemlak being the lone reported one AFAIK).

Good to see Orlov there but not surprised Johansson isn't.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.