HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pronger available

Old
02-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Vito_81

vCash: 500
**** Pronger. Why not go for Boumeester? Probably would cost the same price. And he's pretty much a Pronger in his Prime.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
**** Pronger. Why not go for Boumeester? Probably would cost the same price. And he's pretty much a Pronger in his Prime.
Pronger's much less of a risk because he's signed for another season. If he's not agreeable to an extension he can be dealt. If JayBo isn't agreeable the entire investment is lost in a few short months.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Pronger's much less of a risk because he's signed for another season. If he's not agreeable to an extension he can be dealt. If JayBo isn't agreeable the entire investment is lost in a few short months.
True.You're right about that

But I think JayBo's thing is he wants to play on a contender in a hockey market. Buffalo is surely a hockey market, and an up and coming contender. If Regier gives him the dollers, he wouldn't be too hard to get to sign.

Old
02-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Stone87

Quote:
Depends why Bouwmeester doesn't want to sign an extension in Florida. Maybe he wants to return to Canada, be in a larger city, play for a more consistently competitive city, or all of the above. Unless Regier has some reason to think he'd like to play in Buffalo more than Florida it isn't worth it.

Stone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:52 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
I think some people are over-valuing Pronger in this thread. If he was truly still a top-3 defenseman Anaheim simply wouldn't be considering trading him, especially because $6 million is a bargain for a top-3 d-man. His game (while still very very good, don't get me wrong) is in decline. He's an old 34; there's a lot of miles on his skates. He'd obviously make us a much better team and I'd love to have him, but he's not the Chris Pronger from the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons. (And I'm still not sure why his Hart in 2000 is at all relevant to him being better than Brian Campbell today even though he is.) I would expect him to continue the slow decline next season as well. Once again, he's an excellent player and his strengths match up nicely with our needs, but he has slowed recently and that fact seems to be totally ignored in this thread.

To the bolded: they're possibly talking about a mini rebuild. You get younger and add assets when you do such a thing, and you could get a hell of a lot for Pronger at 6M$. It's about value and team situation. If they were aiming at a Cup this year, I'd think they would hold him

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:03 AM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
I have to question the guy's character when he wants to be traded to a playoff team when his team is definitely one right now and has a chance to be very good in the future with the coach they have now in place. Why wouldn't he want to be the centerpiece of that?

That's why I feel really bad for Florida right now: if they trade him, they are probably not making the playoffs this year, but if they keep him until the end of the year, they will probably make the playoffs, but he would not resign there after the season's over and Florida's even worse off for next year because they didn't get any assets for him.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:01 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
I have to question the guy's character when he wants to be traded to a playoff team when his team is definitely one right now and has a chance to be very good in the future with the coach they have now in place. Why wouldn't he want to be the centerpiece of that?

That's why I feel really bad for Florida right now: if they trade him, they are probably not making the playoffs this year, but if they keep him until the end of the year, they will probably make the playoffs, but he would not resign there after the season's over and Florida's even worse off for next year because they didn't get any assets for him.
Most things I have read don't have Jaybo wanting to be traded. The speculation is that Florida wants to trade him since they don't think they can resign him.

Of course thats where why he doesn't want to resign comes in. But I don't see an issue with his character in all of this. He is most likely going to get a 7+ year deal. Thats a very long time to stay somewhere you may not want to be any more.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:10 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Not NEARLY as physical as Pronger, and probably a bit better of a skater (especially with puck on blade) than Pronger. Pronger in his prime was better than Bouwmeester now and into the rest of his prime IMO. Especially considering time frame, period in which said prime occurred, etc.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:24 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Most things I have read don't have Jaybo wanting to be traded. The speculation is that Florida wants to trade him since they don't think they can resign him.

Of course thats where why he doesn't want to resign comes in. But I don't see an issue with his character in all of this. He is most likely going to get a 7+ year deal. Thats a very long time to stay somewhere you may not want to be any more.
Exactly. And we're not exactly talking about a team that makes regular playoff appearances in a town that cares about hockey. I haven't heard of him sulking about being part of that club, but wouldn't hold it against him for moving on after playing there for 6 years.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:12 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Hey guys....so one of the questions seemd to be if we are cup quality...Here is our playoff roster from 2 years ago...2007:

2006-2007 Playoffs
48 C Daniel Briere
23 C Chris Drury
29 R Jason Pominville
26 L Thomas Vanek
61 R Maxim Afinogenov
19 C Tim Connolly
8 R Dainius Zubrus
51 D Brian Campbell
9 C Derek Roy
55 C Jochen Hecht
22 C Adam Mair
45 D Dmitri Kalinin
27 D Teppo Numminen
5 D Toni Lydman
12 R Ales Kotalik
21 R Drew Stafford
10 D Henrik Tallinder
28 C Paul Gaustad
6 D Jaroslav Spacek
20 L Daniel Paille

30 Ryan Miller

ummmm.....looks like the same bunch of guys we have right now. Obvioulsy, missing Drury, Briere and Campbell. Do any of you not think we would bolt right up to cup contenders with the addition of Pronger and another center?????? Please, look at the experience our young guys have, two more years since those two playoff runs, and especially a more savy goalie. There is no question in my mind that a stud like Pronger on our blue line completely changes our dynamics. he'd eat up 25 minutes per game, point the power play (Pomms goes back to doing what he should be doing), play against the top opposition, and give us toughness. OMG, we have the team, we have the space, and we have the players/picks to deal for him. You know what, screw next year and what we will have to do to get under the cap. You know what, we could trade Pronger and his 6.5 in the offseason......

Add Pronger and a legit center to the core we have now and we contend this year. Stable front office, stable coaching staff, stable goalie, would be stable defense and would be stable 3 lines with one heck of a energy line.

The Sabres have done such a great job developing and keeping talent, one of these years they have to go for it.....

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorhtPortFL View Post
Hey guys....so one of the questions seemd to be if we are cup quality...Here is our playoff roster from 2 years ago...2007:

2006-2007 Playoffs
48 C Daniel Briere
23 C Chris Drury
29 R Jason Pominville
26 L Thomas Vanek
61 R Maxim Afinogenov
19 C Tim Connolly
8 R Dainius Zubrus
51 D Brian Campbell
9 C Derek Roy
55 C Jochen Hecht
22 C Adam Mair
45 D Dmitri Kalinin
27 D Teppo Numminen
5 D Toni Lydman
12 R Ales Kotalik
21 R Drew Stafford
10 D Henrik Tallinder
28 C Paul Gaustad
6 D Jaroslav Spacek
20 L Daniel Paille

30 Ryan Miller

ummmm.....looks like the same bunch of guys we have right now. Obvioulsy, missing Drury, Briere and Campbell. Do any of you not think we would bolt right up to cup contenders with the addition of Pronger and another center?????? Please, look at the experience our young guys have, two more years since those two playoff runs, and especially a more savy goalie. There is no question in my mind that a stud like Pronger on our blue line completely changes our dynamics. he'd eat up 25 minutes per game, point the power play (Pomms goes back to doing what he should be doing), play against the top opposition, and give us toughness. OMG, we have the team, we have the space, and we have the players/picks to deal for him. You know what, screw next year and what we will have to do to get under the cap. You know what, we could trade Pronger and his 6.5 in the offseason......

Add Pronger and a legit center to the core we have now and we contend this year. Stable front office, stable coaching staff, stable goalie, would be stable defense and would be stable 3 lines with one heck of a energy line.

The Sabres have done such a great job developing and keeping talent, one of these years they have to go for it.....
Im not sure we even need to add a center. Connolly and Roy are like having an "almost" Briere offensively on each scoring line, while both are significantly better defensively.

add that to the growth of players like Vanek, Poms, Stafford since the last run, as well as a more physical team...

Yes, i think the addition of Pronger alone would make us a contender and a favorite in the east.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Im not sure we even need to add a center. Connolly and Roy are like having an "almost" Briere offensively on each scoring line, while both are significantly better defensively.

add that to the growth of players like Vanek, Poms, Stafford since the last run, as well as a more physical team...

Yes, i think the addition of Pronger alone would make us a contender and a favorite in the east.
Good thing he's signed long-term to a team better down the middle and with more consistent scoring wingers... in the East.

07-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Kruschiki

Holy old thread day, batman.

Kruschiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooey View Post
Holy old thread day, batman.
Considering it got tossed around here in February and then the Sabres as usual never even got in the game.... I thought it would be fun to revisit in light of Pronger bringing his version of buttwhooping to the East for the next few seasons.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:23 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorhtPortFL View Post
2006-2007 Playoffs
48 C Daniel Briere
23 C Chris Drury
29 R Jason Pominville
26 L Thomas Vanek
61 R Maxim Afinogenov
19 C Tim Connolly
8 R Dainius Zubrus
51 D Brian Campbell
9 C Derek Roy
55 C Jochen Hecht
22 C Adam Mair
45 D Dmitri Kalinin
27 D Teppo Numminen
5 D Toni Lydman
12 R Ales Kotalik
21 R Drew Stafford
10 D Henrik Tallinder
28 C Paul Gaustad
6 D Jaroslav Spacek
20 L Daniel Paille

30 Ryan Miller
Other than Drury you know who this team might miss the most? Dainius Zubrus. Guy was a monster and I was beyond upset they didn't offer him a new contract. Wonder if we could pry him away from NJ

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:24 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

We'd have to dump Hecht, but we could do it easily.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
Other than Drury you know who this team might miss the most? Dainius Zubrus. Guy was a monster and I was beyond upset they didn't offer him a new contract. Wonder if we could pry him away from NJ
I'm sorry.

I appreciated the kind of player Zubrus is/was. He brought a different brand of play that we lacked, and still lack. But there is not a chance in hell that what he brought in his short tenure here was anywhere close to being more important than what Briere brought us.

But I suppose he was god in those 34 games, with his 4 goals and 12 assists. Not to mention his grand total of 0 playoff goals.

He performed well for a rental, but that's all he was. And based on his performance in Buffalo, his asking price made him just that, a rental.

Zubrus' 40ish points a season isn't the missing link between us and the ECF.