HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa not with Bulldogs...?

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2004, 08:57 PM
theo6060

vCash: 500
Hossa not with Bulldogs...?

Am I missing something here? Why is Hossa playing in Europe instead of in the AHL this year? Wouldn't it be best for him to get his head into what he needs to do here in NA? Or is it just that much better for him to develop in Europe? And why did the Habs let him play there instead of here?

Old
10-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
He would be picked up by another team, no?

Old
10-21-2004, 09:53 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
He would be picked up by another team, no?
Not if he signed a AHL deal ? Like Ward, Hainsey...

Old
10-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Don't really care, maybe he'll get some confidence back over there.

Old
10-21-2004, 10:31 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo6060
Am I missing something here? Why is Hossa playing in Europe instead of in the AHL this year? Wouldn't it be best for him to get his head into what he needs to do here in NA? Or is it just that much better for him to develop in Europe? And why did the Habs let him play there instead of here?
Well he had just signed a ONE WAY contract with MTL. the lock-out makes the contract non-valid at present time. so he was free to do whatever he wanted (like Rick Nash was for example). He chose to go play pro-hockey with a Euro buddy in Sweden.

Seriously, if I was a player and had to choose between living a year in a small town like Hamilton or go to Europe (where I come from)... would be a no brainer. And I think the money might be a bit better over there than in the AHL too.

Old
10-21-2004, 11:47 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
The interview/article I read said that he was not interested in playing in Hamilton if he could get on a good team in a very competitive league in Europe. He also said that his good buddy was going to sign with Mora and that playing in the Swedish Elite league would help develop his game more for his return to the NHL.

Here is the link to the story in LaPresse.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/art...4,821202.shtml

Old
10-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Darz

Just read Dan's (montreal's) article on our players in Europe (great article again BTW) and was glad to see Hossa's PIM numbers(18 minutes in 8 games). Now PIM numbers don't nessesarily mean anything good, but sometimes it's nice to see a prospect with skill and size rack up a few minutes (gotta figure he ain't at least sleeping on the ice over there).

Old
10-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Marksman

Quote:
I think this is a smart move from Hossa and Habs management.

Right now, until the NHL lockout ends, SEL is arguably the most competetive league there is. Marcel needs to add confidence and getting to play in go-to role carrying his team having little fun aside, in a competetive league does just that. Especially when it is a newcomer team like Mora is.

Besides, Marcel has six years worth of NA experience already, between WHL and AHL, does he really need more of the same? Maybe he needed a break from it?

Old
10-22-2004, 08:27 PM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
The interview/article I read said that he was not interested in playing in Hamilton if he could get on a good team in a very competitive league in Europe. He also said that his good buddy was going to sign with Mora and that playing in the Swedish Elite league would help develop his game more for his return to the NHL.

Here is the link to the story in LaPresse.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/art...4,821202.shtml
Thanks for the link. I was not aware that he had signed a one-way contract, thanks for that info espion. And these are all great posts. I had forgotten he played in the WHL. Come to think of it, playing in the SEL probably is the best option for his development. I was mostly worried that his signing in Europe would maybe affect his NHL rights, unlike the others who have signed over there.

Closed Thread