HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers still talking to Morris

Old
07-07-2009, 11:41 PM
hockey_nut

vCash: 500
Rangers still talking to Morris

Derek Morris' agent says the Rangers are "still in the loop" to sign him... he also said there are a number of other teams they're considering

Quote:
evine acknowledged that the Rangers have expressed an interest in re-signing his client.

"Yes, they have. Glen and I have had a couple talks," he said. "They're definitely in the loop."
Is he someone that the Rangers want back?

(link: http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nyr090707a.html )

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Kevin Malone

How could the Rangers even afford him. Are they not just about maxed out.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Belfour View Post
How could the Rangers even afford him. Are they not just about maxed out.
They have some room. They got rid of Gomez's contract so they have a little space to work with. They currently only have four NHL dmen on their roster so it wouldn't surprise me to bring Morris back. Unless of course they want to bring up a few dmen from Hartford, but I don't think Sather will do that. They definitely need to sign a dman at some point. I think I would bring back Mara over Morris but maybe they can get Morris at a more reasonable contract. Keep in mind though, it's Sather we're talking about here.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:05 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
They got rid of Gomez's contract so they have a little space to work with.

and swiftly replaced it with gaborik

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:12 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
Infact, I think Gaborik's cap hit is MORE than Gomez's. It's a slight difference, but still...

Don't rule Phoenix out. We're kind of backed up on D right now, but Morris was told before he was traded to not move his family and that Maloney would be interested. And, as a fan anything to make sure Hale doesn't see another minute of NHL ice is nice.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
Yeah true, forgot about him. They still have 9 mil in cap space. They have to be prepared to resign Staal and Girardi next year though. Morris will likely want a multi-year deal, which they might not want to give him. I hope he doesn't get a contract like his last one. He didn't play like he deserved that money last season, at least for the Rangers IMO. Didn't watch much of him in Phoenix though. Again, I would take Mara.

Old
07-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

If Morris comes back, Rozsival/Redden is gone...

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Yeah true, forgot about him. They still have 9 mil in cap space. They have to be prepared to resign Staal and Girardi next year though. Morris will likely want a multi-year deal, which they might not want to give him. I hope he doesn't get a contract like his last one. He didn't play like he deserved that money last season, at least for the Rangers IMO. Didn't watch much of him in Phoenix though. Again, I would take Mara.
We actually have like 12 mil in cap space.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 01:19 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

When are the Rangers gonna start signing their RFA's. I haven't seen anything about them.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
We actually have like 12 mil in cap space.
And that is not considering them being short of a few players on the roster and the re-signing of Zherdev, Callahan, Dubinsky and Korpikoski.

They're cutting it close.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
When are the Rangers gonna start signing their RFA's. I haven't seen anything about them.
Higgins got resigned so one of the RFAs did. I find it hard to believe they have 12 mil in cap space, unless of course my source is wrong, which could be totally possible. Nevertheless, I forgot how many RFAs should be resigned, first priority being Dubinsky, Zherdev, and Callahan. After those signings, they won't have the 12 mil anymore but they still need to sign at least one FA dman IMO. Maybe they can get Morris to fit into the cap. We'll have to see how it unfolds. I'm sure Morris will get a contract somewhere though. I'm surprised he's still available.

Old
07-08-2009, 02:11 AM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
Infact, I think Gaborik's cap hit is MORE than Gomez's. It's a slight difference, but still...

Don't rule Phoenix out. We're kind of backed up on D right now, but Morris was told before he was traded to not move his family and that Maloney would be interested. And, as a fan anything to make sure Hale doesn't see another minute of NHL ice is nice.
I'd feel a bit a bit nostalgic for Morris, too, if our budget wasn't so limited. But we need a 25-30+ goal scorer more than a $3M+ d-man. Maybe we can get DMo back at the deadline for the playoff push.

?

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Vitto79

They would have to move Rozsival for picks/prospects and then sign Morris

I am fine with that if it sheds a big salary

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 07:28 AM
MitchRobichaud

Send a message via Skype™ to MitchRobichaud
Hmmm.. If they could trade Roszival for picks and sign Morris and perhaps Kurtis Foster for cheap, i think it would be a good move by Sather. Wether any team would want Roszival without trading a contract of their own is a question in itself though.

MitchRobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Kevin Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamking143 View Post
Hmmm.. If they could trade Roszival for picks and sign Morris and perhaps Kurtis Foster for cheap, i think it would be a good move by Sather. Wether any team would want Roszival without trading a contract of their own is a question in itself though.
I think thats wishful thinking. Any team that is going to trade for Rozi is going to want to send some salary back the otherway.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

I'd like to see Morris back in Phoenix.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I think thats wishful thinking. Any team that is going to trade for Rozi is going to want to send some salary back the otherway.
Yeah, just like Montreal sent some salary back when they traded for Gomez oh wait

If a team with the cap space actually wants a top 4 defenseman who can log a ton of minutes and play really well for some stretches, then they'll be game for a deal

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 10:41 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, Roszivols contract is not bad. Drury and Redden are bad, Roszy is about market value for a guy who consistently plays the minutes he does every night.

I love how any reasonably large contrac ton the Rangers is automatically deemed an albatross. He would have gotten that much, if not more on the market, but wanted to play for the Rangers.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 10:48 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Higgins got resigned so one of the RFAs did. I find it hard to believe they have 12 mil in cap space, unless of course my source is wrong, which could be totally possible. Nevertheless, I forgot how many RFAs should be resigned, first priority being Dubinsky, Zherdev, and Callahan. After those signings, they won't have the 12 mil anymore but they still need to sign at least one FA dman IMO. Maybe they can get Morris to fit into the cap. We'll have to see how it unfolds. I'm sure Morris will get a contract somewhere though. I'm surprised he's still available.
That's what I was referring to. They locked up Higgins real fast but before Sather goes too crazy he should deal with his in house contracts first. So that he can see what's left in the coffers. I think Morris could fit for the Rangers though. I think he was pretty inexpensive last year so his contract shouldn't be anything the Rangers couldn't handle. Oh and according to NHL numbers the Rags still have about 14 million to spend. The real question is whether or not Sather is gonna let Bell walk

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 12:00 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The rangers have been up against the cap for the last two seasons. Slats has managed to find a way to remove two fee agent contracts. Cullen's contract had almost nine million remaining and it was moved without taking back a big contract. Gomez.'S contract everyone knows about. Slats was able to make two trades at the deadline last March for antropov and Morris. They had the flexibility to recall players from the ahl. They have not played two players short due to the cap. Slats will find a way to make the numbers work.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 07-08-2009 at 12:07 PM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote