HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The Official What Will The Lines Look Like In 09-10 Thread

Old
07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Jori

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Tanguay would have played in 98-99 if not for poor contract negotiations.

With Smyth gone and Sakic retired, that tells me they will give Duchene every opportunity to make this team.

Old
07-08-2009, 10:15 AM
avsfan4026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Well I agree but getting some veteran forward will really help the developement of Stastny, Galiardi, Stoa, Stewart, Jones, possibly Duchene.

I mean Milan Hejduk is gonna look like the lone baby sitter out there
I completely agree. I'm surprised no one's really talked about this.
Sure, guys like Duchene and Stoa will get more ice time now, but who will they learn from? Hejduk? Tucker?? They're now our only forwards that have been in the league more than 3 years.

(ETA: Oh, and Svatos. Heh.)

I know this was a big reason they hired the coaches they did (all former Avs), especially Kono who's only been out of the NHL a few years. But they still need guys to play with and learn from. Like Stastny had with Sakic, Smyth, even Forsberg for a bit.

Last edited by avsfan4026: 07-08-2009 at 10:22 AM.
avsfan4026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Roman Tanner

The funny thing is - as I look through everyone's hypothetical rosters and come to terms with the lack of NHL ready experience we have in the lineup, it's almost a bit exciting.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen.

Roman Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 11:29 AM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
I would think it is extremely unlikely that Duchene plays more than 10 games with the Avs next season. They have been extremely patient with their prospects in the past, and I don't see them changing now. I can't remember a single high profile Avs' prospect that ever played the season directly following the draft in which they were selected, and that includes the likes of Tanguay and Wolski.

This is the time for the Avs to play Wolski as 2nd line center, give him a ton of minutes, including on the pp, and find out what they have. It is kind of a make or break season for Wolski in terms of opportunity.

I also believe that Galiardi and Stoa are likely the top 2 LWs now on the team. McLeod would be the third line LW or C, depending on where Tucker plays.

We would have a glut of RWs in Hejduk, Svatos, Jones, and Stewart. It makes me believe that we are likely to see a RW traded before the beginning of the season, most likely Svatos. You do not want Jones or Stewart buried on the 4th line when they could be receiving second or third line minutes and moving along in their development.
I disagree with this. We need wings not centers so I think we close the Wolski at center experiment and keep him on the wing. He is either develops into a consistent 25G 35A winger or we close the books on him. Hensick gets a season long look as 2nd line center mostly so that he can be moved at the end of the season. I just don't see him fitting into the system right now but maybe he shocks us all? I do think that Stoa and Galiardi would be our top 2 LW even though both of them would be better served in the AHL this year. We simply are out of options. Stoa is physically ready and may surprise.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 11:33 AM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Tanner View Post
The funny thing is - as I look through everyone's hypothetical rosters and come to terms with the lack of NHL ready experience we have in the lineup, it's almost a bit exciting.

Train wreck image removed. Didn't realize it had the F-Bomb in it.

Last edited by NWAvsFan: 07-08-2009 at 02:52 PM.
NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Huis Clos
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:

The first overall pick.

Huis Clos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:

we trade all of our youth for Heatley

hey, you asked

falconski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Hensick-Stastny-Hejduk
Galiardi-Duchene-Svatos
McLeod-Wolski-Stewart
Tucker-Guite-Jones

No idea what defensive pairings will be with the glut we currently have, so I won't even try.

I'm assuming here Guite gets re-signed.

Wow...you don't get a sense of how really young this team is until you try and put a lineup together. Ideally Tucker gets sent down and Stoa gets called up.

I'd rather see Jones in a larger role I just can't at present really think of a place to put him.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 03:42 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Hensick-Stastny-Hejduk
Galiardi-Duchene-Svatos
McLeod-Wolski-Stewart
Tucker-Guite-Jones

No idea what defensive pairings will be with the glut we currently have, so I won't even try.

I'm assuming here Guite gets re-signed.

Wow...you don't get a sense of how really young this team is until you try and put a lineup together. Ideally Tucker gets sent down and Stoa gets called up.

I'd rather see Jones in a larger role I just can't at present really think of a place to put him.
Guite is not getting re-signed.

Plus I think Wolski will be on one of the top 2 lines, probably at LW if Duchene makes the team.

PeterTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
I disagree with this. We need wings not centers so I think we close the Wolski at center experiment and keep him on the wing. He is either develops into a consistent 25G 35A winger or we close the books on him. Hensick gets a season long look as 2nd line center mostly so that he can be moved at the end of the season. I just don't see him fitting into the system right now but maybe he shocks us all? I do think that Stoa and Galiardi would be our top 2 LW even though both of them would be better served in the AHL this year. We simply are out of options. Stoa is physically ready and may surprise.
Maybe, but even if Duchene plays with the Avs this season, I highly doubt he will be playing center. More than likely the Avs would play him at wing, probably LW for the majority of the season. You aren't going to trust NHL center-defensive responsibilities to an 18 year old rookie. So Wolski or maybe Stoa will be the 2nd center on the top two lines.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 05:39 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Maybe, but even if Duchene plays with the Avs this season, I highly doubt he will be playing center. More than likely the Avs would play him at wing, probably LW for the majority of the season. You aren't going to trust NHL center-defensive responsibilities to an 18 year old rookie. So Wolski or maybe Stoa will be the 2nd center on the top two lines.
That would be a massive mistake IMO. Don't screw up his development by making him switch positions.

Plus Stoa is not a center.

PeterTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 03:15 PM
mitchgoalie31

wolski stastny hejduk
stoa duchene svatos
jones galiardi stewart
mcleod hensick tucker
koci willsie

hannan quincey
foote liles
salei clark/preissing
cuminskey

anderson
budaj
weiman

mitchgoalie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Why not? Duchene has exhibited a defensive acumen throughout his junior career.

I sure as hell would trust defensive responsibilities to an 18-year-old Matt Duchene before I'd entrust them to Wolski.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
I really hope they leave Duchene in the juniors for one more year. So here it goes....

Jones-Stastny-Hejduk
McLeod-Wolski-Stewart
Galiardi-Hensick-Svatos
Stoa-?-Tucker

Hannan-Liles
Quincey-Foote
Clark-Salei

Anderson
Budaj

This line-up guarantees us one of Hall/Kabanov/Fowler

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 04:15 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Wolski-Stastny-Hejduk
Jones-Galiardi-Stewart
Stoa-Hensick-Svatos
McLeod-?Hendricks?-Tucker

Quincey-Hannan
Liles-Foote
Clark-Salei

Anderson
Budaj

I really liked what I saw from Jones, Galiardi, and Stewart when they played together late last season. It's a big line with some skill that, IMO, could surprise. I also don't see the 2nd and 3rd lines as 2nd and 3rd lines but more as 2a and 2b each getting about equal ice time. The only thing I'd be worried about is that neither of them would be particularly good defensively. Keep Duchene in juniors for one more year.

As for the defense, don't underrate Quincey and overrate Liles. Liles isn't, will never be, and has never been a top pairing defenseman. Quincey was LAs #2 last year and they were no slouches defensively. Also, these pairings give us an offensive minded dman and defensive minded dman and each pairing.

No matter what the lines end up being(short of the kids being sent down)this is going to be an exciting, albeit tough, year.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Stazz21

Hejduk-Stastny-Stewart -- I heard Duke has played LW, would rather a vet switch to his off side than a young guy, but either way...

Wolski-Galiardi-Svatos -- with Duchene in the stable, Wolski needs to get used to LW, sadly. He and Galiardi can switch it up though. Now that we have no forward depth, Svats should get a chance at consistent top 6 minutes.

Jones-Stoa-McLeod -- a good young checking line.

Tucker-Hensick-?? -- If Hensick plays his ass off he can challenge for time in the top 6. Fill in the ?? with someone Sacco liked in LEM.

Not even going to begin speculating about the D, as at least one will likely be traded, and they are all mediocre anyway and it doesn't much matter the combination you put them in.

Anderson
Budaj

Kinda wish we had let Budaj go so Weiman could get a chance, but...ah well.

Stazz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Jori

Stoa is a LW

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Hejduk has been playing RW for the Avs for the last 10 years, he will not be changing positions.

If someone is going to be moved, it'll be Wolski. Put him at LW on the top line or maybe even Jones. Leave Hejduk where he is.

Old
07-09-2009, 06:34 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Hejduk has been playing RW for the Avs for the last 10 years, he will not be changing positions.

If someone is going to be moved, it'll be Wolski. Put him at LW on the top line or maybe even Jones. Leave Hejduk where he is.
Hejduk actually played LW at points last season and not badly either. Baring any big trades or FA signings would expect to see him double shifted and play LW from time to time.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Hejduk actually played LW at points last season and not badly either. Baring any big trades or FA signings would expect to see him double shifted and play LW from time to time.
Well he's had some shifts at LW but its never been for a long stretch. I don't recall him playing LW from start to finish in a single game. Granato switched up the lines during games and I remember Hejduk on the left side but he never stayed there. He's been on the right side for the past decade and I just don't see that changing.

Old
07-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
Stoa is a LW
I'm confused then - every profile I've seen thus far has him at C.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but where are all these sites getting the idea he is playing C from? Is that from college or something?

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 06:51 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Well he's had some shifts at LW but its never been for a long stretch. I don't recall him playing LW from start to finish in a single game. Granato switched up the lines during games and I remember Hejduk on the left side but he never stayed there. He's been on the right side for the past decade and I just don't see that changing.
With this young of a roster, I do.

I don't want to force him off-hand but I do think he can be deadly there. I think he'll be seeing a large number of minutes in every game the AVs are close in. They'll be whipping him all the way looking for every point they can get. It might not be fair, but from a penny-pinching team...you do what you what is necessary to get every point. My personal oppinion is the AVs should ride him hard and give him a huge raise for a two-year contract with the NTM being up to him at the deadline prior to the deal going down. Otherwise, he might be rode hard but left to consider if he really wants to deal with this crap for another season or two. He's not a guy you build a team around but he is pretty much the only top six-winger we have left. Make him happy and let him know he can pull the trigger if he wants out...but keep the price tag attractive to other teams.

Old
07-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Jori

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
I'm confused then - every profile I've seen thus far has him at C.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but where are all these sites getting the idea he is playing C from? Is that from college or something?
He was drafted as a centerman and played the position during the first year at Minnesota. However, he`s been exclusively a LW for the last two seasons.

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 07:32 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Special Teams for 09/10

I know we are heavy on D right now but I'm just talking out of my ass...forgive me, I do that a lot.

1. JC is gone.
2. We have no idea if these new coaches are actually good ones or not.
3. I think we might have a few d-men who are capable of playing the point and to be blunt I prefer to see d-men on the point than forwards.

All that being said, Salei, Quincy and Preissing all seem to be good options on the PP. I know we all love Liles and maybe with a better coaching staff he can produce. I think the back end of our PP is much better if (and only if) the new coaching staff emphasises a shot from the point and dirty work down low. We've got some kids I think can get some ugly goals like Stewart and Jones and I also think Svatos is great in that down low area. If the coaches can get the PP to click we should see some improvement in the standings.

I don't however, think we've done anything at all to help the PK. We still suck on draws and have lost Sakic. We'll be playing Hejduk major minutes and will be wearing him thin if he is a key cog in the PK.

My personal opinion is that unless several youngster step up on the PK any gains we get from a properly used PP will be lost by the terrible PK we will have. As much as I hate to admit it outside of our goalies, Clark may very well be our most important PK'r this season. I think it is important to get Stastny out of the PK role for the time being just because the risk of injury.

Old
07-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I don't however, think we've done anything at all to help the PK. We still suck on draws and have lost Sakic. We'll be playing Hejduk major minutes and will be wearing him thin if he is a key cog in the PK.

My personal opinion is that unless several youngster step up on the PK any gains we get from a properly used PP will be lost by the terrible PK we will have. As much as I hate to admit it outside of our goalies, Clark may very well be our most important PK'r this season. I think it is important to get Stastny out of the PK role for the time being just because the risk of injury.
As I was reading through your post, all I could think about was Stastny and how often he's going to be on the ice now.

Who the heck do we send out to win important faceoffs? If it's Stastny, does he play on the PP and the PK (just for the sake of taking the draws?). He could log some major minutes which is bad for a guy who gets injured often.

If O'Reilly can somehow make this team - a good faceoff guy that can play D on the PK and give the 1st and 2nd lines a break would be GREAT - but it's an absolute stretch that he makes the team.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote