HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

The longest work stoppages in pro sports

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2004, 04:15 PM
  #1
Accord
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Accord
The longest work stoppages in pro sports

1) MLB: 1994-95 / 232 Days / 921 Games
2) NBA: 1997-98 / 191 Days / 428 Games
3) NHL: 1994-95 / 103 Days / 468 Games
4) NFL: 1987 / 24 Days / 14 games

Let's hope the NHL doesn't move into 2nd place...

Accord is offline  
Old
10-22-2004, 04:44 PM
  #2
shakes
Ancient Astronaut
 
shakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,924
vCash: 500
Gotten to the point where I really don't care anymore. I almost hope they cancel the season so that when they decide to start playing again and they lose most of their fanbase, they realize what they have done a la MLB.

shakes is offline  
Old
10-22-2004, 05:03 PM
  #3
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
Gotten to the point where I really don't care anymore. I almost hope they cancel the season so that when they decide to start playing again and they lose most of their fanbase, they realize what they have done a la MLB.
Won't happen. The NHL fan base wasn't even effected by missing half the season in 1994.

degroat* is offline  
Old
10-22-2004, 08:58 PM
  #4
Onion Boy
Registered User
 
Onion Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Japan
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
Won't happen. The NHL fan base wasn't even effected by missing half the season in 1994.
Some people do think that it halted the momentum the league had been gaining recently. Some media folk even thought hockey was on the verge of overtaking basketball in the U.S.

Obviously that's not the case this time around.

Onion Boy is offline  
Old
10-22-2004, 09:06 PM
  #5
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord
1) MLB: 1994-95 / 232 Days / 921 Games
2) NBA: 1997-98 / 191 Days / 428 Games
3) NHL: 1994-95 / 103 Days / 468 Games
4) NFL: 1987 / 24 Days / 14 games

Let's hope the NHL doesn't move into 2nd place...
2nd place?

The way it's going now NHL Hockey is on target for 1st overall...

Toonces is offline  
Old
10-23-2004, 12:15 AM
  #6
Jets4Life
Registered User
 
Jets4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
Some people do think that it halted the momentum the league had been gaining recently. Some media folk even thought hockey was on the verge of overtaking basketball in the U.S.

Obviously that's not the case this time around.

It definitely affected the NHL momentum adversely. I still have my copy of Sports Illustrated from June 94, entitled "Why the NHL is hot and the NBA is not". THe Rangers-Canucks series was the highest rated series in both Canada and the United States. It even caught the interest sun-belt teams like Miami and Anaheim.

Today that is not the case. The owners now have a lot less to lose with a horrendous TV contract. They are now prepared to play hardball. The 94 lockout, they obviously were not.

Jets4Life is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.