HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Better Comeback: Devils or Bosox?

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkball7
Mariano Rivera was 3 outs away from closing out the series in game 4.

I believe it was more of a collapse because the yankees were at such a high point after game 3. Their bats just died after scoring the 19 runs, therefore signifying a major collapse. I do however, give credit to the sox who pounced on the opportunity to strike the beleagured yanks and take home the pennant.
Dude, they are only the third team to win a series after being three games down and the FIRST outside of hockey agaisnt a powerhouse of a lineup of the Yanks winning two of the games in the house where their curse has been stored since 1918, and you grudgingly will give the Red Sox credit??

Ahhh man, are you a Yankee fan? You are aren't you?

10-21-2004, 08:59 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDPEXP
The band of "idiots" seem like a very loose group. Lowe was crit. by management for not being in game condidtion after the 1st rd.{drinking?} .
I guess I can't see this hapening in the NHL where intensity is several notches above what Bb has to deal with. Can you imagine Lou having to handle the freewheeling Bosox? In Hockey it's also about physical survival,and doing your job within a team game. Bb is more individualized. Two great comebacks. Devils did it with mindblowing intensity and consentration . Bosox - free spirted ,clutch individualism.
I agree with you for the most part. I always liked the Yankees clean-cut rules. It gives a military seriousness to their business. But I heard Harold Reynolds and others on Baseball Tonight say that the Red Sox gain a togetherness with their facial hair and unusual hairstyles. Also, Peter Gammons called the Yankees a collection of very good players instead of a very good team, much like the New York Rangers of recent years.

Old
10-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Strong Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Ahhh man, are you a Yankee fan? You are aren't you?
Since August 29 1988

Old
10-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Nifty=HHOF

I have never seen a comeback even remotely close to the comeback of the Red Sox pulled off this week. When you consider all of the issues involved (well described by others), the devils comeback (while great) isn't even close in my opinion.

Old
10-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Since August 29 1988
Then I'll quote Teddy KGB when he puts it so beautifully:

"It hurts doesn't it? Your hopes dashed, your dreams down the toilet. And your fate is sitting right besides you."

:lol

Sorry my man, I've been dying to use that one!

Old
10-22-2004, 12:49 AM
NJDraft

On Lowe's "condition" : I heard the BoSox President asked about it and while he didn't confirm Lowe was out drinking he didn't deny the questioner's premise that Derek was out all night, and management wasn't happy about it.

Lowe was asked if he's concerned that management may believe his extracurricular activities have hurt his performance.

"Of course you wonder," he said. "But nobody [from management] has said anything to me."

Sox CEO Larry Lucchino said his staff was aware of the rumors, but said he didn't feel it was necessary -- or appropriate -- to question his pitcher.

"It's the job of the manager or the general manager to do that," said Lucchino.

This is a wild,very loose group{ helped them,they could give a __about curses} which is likely to be broken up so they had better get it done. Pedro,Lowe,Varitek,Cabrera, UFA's and it's poss. that none will be back. Manny is in his own world, and could conceivably be waived [again] though I doubt it this time. But they'd love to dump his 20mil.

Last edited by NJDraft: 10-22-2004 at 01:01 AM.
Old
10-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Strong Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Then I'll quote Teddy KGB when he puts it so beautifully:

"It hurts doesn't it? Your hopes dashed, your dreams down the toilet. And your fate is sitting right besides you."

:lol

Sorry my man, I've been dying to use that one!
Don't be sorry... I blame mariano

Old
10-23-2004, 08:13 AM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
Quote:
Don't be sorry... I blame mariano
Just Mariano? That's like blaming Scott Gomez for the Devils' loss to the Avs a couple years back. There is plenty of blame to throw around on that team. I'd start with Brown. I respect his passion, but breaking his wrist the way he did when he did it is a complete joke. The only thing worse than that debacle was his actual pitching. I'd liken it to the umpire of my little brother's "pamper league" baseball team. The ump's biggest job is placing the ball on the Tee for the little guys. Kevin Brown couldn't have given the Sox hitters better balls to hit if he placed them on the Tee. He was worthless . . . except to Sox fans.

Old
10-23-2004, 09:47 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftyone
I have never seen a comeback even remotely close to the comeback of the Red Sox pulled off this week. When you consider all of the issues involved (well described by others), the devils comeback (while great) isn't even close in my opinion.
Saw the Islanders comeback in 1975 which was amazing by any standard and lasted almost 30 years. There was no Pens-Islander rivalry in that era and nothing like this kind of media pressure like Boston-Yankee had on them and what a mismatch it looked like after the third game. Islanders won games five and won the series 1-0 on the road in game seven. Chico Resch was in goal.

Find it incredible the Islanders in the very next series went down 3-0 and came back to force a seventh game again.

Closed Thread