HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Blair Betts

Old
07-05-2009, 11:34 PM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
i love the guy and hope he finds gainful employment and much success wherever he ends up.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Dubinsky, Avery and Drury better step up on the PK now. And now with Orr and most likely Betts gone, the only members from the 2005-06 Rangers still here are Lundqvist and Rozsival. A lot of changes in 5 years.
And there weren't many players on the team that year who played for the Rangers before the lockout either--Sather has now completely remade the team twice since the fire sale.

Also, Avery didn't kill penalties for Tortorella last season--we'll see if that changes this year. Dubinsky, Callahan, Drury and Korps were the other two pairs of forwards Tortorella used. Since all of them are coming back, I don't think the penalty kill will lose too much. Both Dubinsky and Drury handle faceoffs very well too.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Yes, and that reason isn't just the personnel, it is the system and the habits that the coaches have taught (and will continue to teach). Not to mention Lundqvist. I would wager that the Rangers will still have a top-tier PK unit this season, even with the loss of Betts and Sjostrom.
Meh. Well lets agree to disagree and see how the PK does this season. I think our PK with Betts was top 3 in the NHL (even though we were statistically #1) and I think without Betts / Sjostrom we'll be a top 10 PK. We'll see how replaceable he is once the season starts. Betts has been one of my favorite Rangers lack of offense or not. The guy did everything out there but score.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:34 AM
The Mouth

I think some fans overate him a bit . Mainly do to the fact he actually does what he is supposed to do on the ice which makes him standout from 3/4 of the team from last year.

No doubt he is a Great PK guy but a 4th liner with hands of stone. I like the guy but lets not get too crazy, to the point that we are lamenting the loss of Blair Betts.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:52 AM
Garfinkel1

Cue the Blair Betts highlight reel...

But really, I would love watching a highlight reel of him blocking shots and killing penalties. Also his goals, Although the goal part probably will take 10 seconds...

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:20 AM
flyboys15

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this guy ends up floating around the atlantic division like some players often do...Asham comes to mind.

I know Philly certainly should consider him being that we are dreadful in the faceoff circle and looking to cut down the pk minutes of Carter and Richards.

flyboys15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:35 AM
mullichicken25

i, for one, am actually pretty excited about seeing avery get some more PK time

his explosive speed is ideal for killing penalties...gets him into passing lanes real quick and creates the potential for a quick break out of the zone

his explosiveness will definately enable him to beat most Dmen in the transition through the neutral zone...if only he could finish haha

i hope hes practicing that neat little one-handed shot off the boards that he always did on the kill when he's rushing up ice...i've played hockey my whole life and have no idea how guys can do that with such force...maybe im just weak or terrible at hockey?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i, for one, am actually pretty excited about seeing avery get some more PK time

his explosive speed is ideal for killing penalties...gets him into passing lanes real quick and creates the potential for a quick break out of the zone

his explosiveness will definately enable him to beat most Dmen in the transition through the neutral zone...if only he could finish haha

i hope hes practicing that neat little one-handed shot off the boards that he always did on the kill when he's rushing up ice...i've played hockey my whole life and have no idea how guys can do that with such force...maybe im just weak or terrible at hockey?
Im actually scared to death at the prospect of Avery killing penalties. The #1 attribute you need when killing penalties is discipline. Enough said.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:39 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im actually scared to death at the prospect of Avery killing penalties. The #1 attribute you need when killing penalties is discipline. Enough said.
you don't feel he was effective on the kill the first time around in NY? as I remember he actually logged quite a bit of PK time

I thought he was good...maybe im wrong....what were other peoples impressions of his past penalty killing performance?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:44 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Avery's actual in-game play is disciplined enough to kill penalties, absolutely. He lacks discipline after the whistle and after the game, but I've never seen anything to indicate he can't adhere to a system presented by a coach.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 10:48 AM
ogie

Torts made it absolutely clear that they need to inject youth into the lineup for this team to be successful short and long term. Having a guy like Bets that is a consistent 4th liner around eats up a spot that a young guy could take. At this point everyone will point to the Brashear signing as evidence contrary to my statement, but i don't think I've ever seen Betts drop the gloves, maybe if he did he would be more valuable.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
If NJ didn't have Pando (and his awful contract) I'd snag Betts for $1m, maybe $1.5m.

Sure, maybe all he does is what he's supposed to. But that's good enough for me. Throw him out there while your top line rests, and you know nothing bad will happen.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Vitto79

surprised he has not gone anywhere yet. he cant cost that much

Mara, Morris out there too

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:11 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Cue the Blair Betts highlight reel...

But really, I would love watching a highlight reel of him blocking shots and killing penalties. Also his goals, Although the goal part probably will take 10 seconds...
Actually, if you check out his highlight reel on NHL.com, his goals make him look like an offensive talent. He has scored some good ones. You'd think he actually had offensive... ability.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Sayba

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Actually, if you check out his highlight reel on NHL.com, his goals make him look like an offensive talent. He has scored some good ones. You'd think he actually had offensive... ability.
I have always thought that about Betts too. He showed some brief flashes of offense but it seems as if he didn't care about offense and given his line mates I guess you can't blame him.

He has speed, size, good body control and is a decent puck handler but yea his focus was always defense.

Sayba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
BUMP this up

So with Boyle signing can we say bye bye to Blair now?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 06:44 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
I'm really saddened by this. It seems crazy to not be able to let go of Blair Betts, but he is one of my favorite players. Okay, he's not gonna score alot for you, but as many said, he does what he's supposed to, and you know what, he does it to perfection.

I would argue that last year he was our most consistent player, given his role. Our offensive powers...what were they supposed to do? Score goals. Did they? No. Our defense was great at times, but at times there that our defensemen had stretchs, and Redden fell flat on his face. Henke is Henke, but even he didn't dominate the whole year. When did Betts ever underperform at doing what he was supposed to do last year?? Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't think of any time. No matter how potent the other team's PP was, you always knew, that with Betts and Sjo out there, we had a great chance to come out of it alive. And he put his body on the line, night in and night out, up until the bitter end, the cheap shot that brought his year to a close (and I still can't believe we signed Brashear...).

When it comes down to it, he was a loyal Ranger who gave his all, non-stop, for the betterment of the team. Loyalty to a team is a rarity among professional athletes these days, with high contracts and free agency, and alot is to be said for those who stay honest. This takes me back to when Ortmeyer left. Yes, we went on without him, but we lost a loyal player, and I was sad to see him go. I fear thus will be the case this year with Blair Betts.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 08:59 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

I really want to see Betts sign somewhere, he's my favorite player, I gotta hope for the best from him. Im sure he'll wind up on Edmonton, with Renney now there. Maybe Edmonton has bigger fish to fry right now, and they'll work something out when they can. I really hope he leaves the division at least, but no matter where he goes, I won't hate.

I also really hope Mara finds a place to play

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote