HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan and Zherdev file for salary arbitration

Old
07-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Eh, I wouldn't go that far in worrying about it yet. Wait until we see what Callahan re-signs for. I could see the Rangers giving him a multi-year deal, re-signing Zherdev for one year and then letting him walk if his totals remain the same.

They're probably going to have to pull some magic next year to get under the cap and still re-sign Staal. Honestly I'm starting to think they're going to let Girardi walk next year
I think the notion of letting Girardi go has a lot to do with how well our defensive prospects develop over the next year. We could have quite a few NHL ready d-men in the next year and a half IMO.

It'd be a shame to see him go though.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think the notion of letting Girardi go has a lot to do with how well our defensive prospects develop over the next year. We could have quite a few NHL ready d-men in the next year and a half IMO.

It'd be a shame to see him go though.
Yeah that's why I could see them do it. He'll likely be wanting a raise, while the cap is likely headed downwards. If the Rangers can replace him with a cheaper player from within, then it makes sense.

Curse about Reddens contract, etc etc

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Fletch

Lev...

to be clear, I meant Higgins and Zherdev - wasn't sure I made that point.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 05:36 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
to be clear, I meant Higgins and Zherdev - wasn't sure I made that point.
Yeah, I'm not comfortable with it either, Fletch.

I mean, in a (potentially) declining salary cap enviornment, should you be trying to get more deals with RFAs that pay a little more now in order to keep them locked up at a reasonable rate for their first couple of UFA years...? I wanted Higgins at 3 years for like $2.5-3MM and still want Zherdev at like $3.5-4MM for 2-3 years.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
It's really not. Not for a team that wants to do more than squeek into the playoffs and then get ousted in the first round. It's a really horrible top six based on numbers. Yeah we love Callahan and Dubinsky, and I'm fine with Dubinsky centering a top line at the moment, but there's so little actual scoring depth there that it makes me cringe.

What makes you think Tanguay would be cheap. He's close to a point per game player. He probably costs as much or more than Zherdev, and comes with similar problems (soft, won't drive to the net, inconsistent, etc)

Newsflash: This team isn't contending this year. The sooner people realize it, the better off we'll be. If we make the playoffs, great. But I don't expect much else. Until Grachev and some other kids are a serious part of it, they'll continue to tread water. I'm looking at it realistically being 2-3 yrs away.

Tanguay probably will want 4. So, he won't be cheap. We do have plenty of guys who play the left side but assuming Zherdev is gone, would they bring back Sykora? He could take less. The argument against bringing in a vet is that it won't put us over the top. May as well get our RFA's re-signed and see if we can dump Rozy.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
12 points in 15 games is considered awful? That's interesting. He's a streaky player and has played the same way under all of his coaches. But by years end he's still a 50 to 60 point complimentary player. And again I'm not debating the worth of these players because I've never said what I believe Zherdev is WORTH. I've stated what Zherdev would command in an open market and if you honestly believe that he couldn't sign a 4MM contract then you're delusional. People would jump at the chance to offer a 50+ 24 year old player with upside that contract. As for comparing different styles and sizes each one fits a need on a team but production is production. If you can put up 50 to 60 points consistently from season to season I don't think any GM cares too much how you go about it.
12 points in 15 games and 3 benchings under Torts...As well as 5 under Renney....You say streaky, I say a waste of talent.......He failed this team when it mattered most. I'm glad your okay with that but Sather isnt. I don't think Zherdev gets $4.0 on the open market. By the time he becomes a UFA teams will have already spent there money on free agents. In addition Zherdev would have been let go by TWO organizations by the time he was 24 for the same reason. What you call consistacy I call garbage.

Zherdev will not get $4.0M from an NHL team. You can call me anything you want but that's my opinion. You can continue to use stats but in THIS case they dont' tell the whole story with this player. I watched him last year...did you?

Quote:
As for answering your other questions, for the second time, they've all been discussed ad nauseum, go dig up one of the countless threads for opinions on both sides of the pros and cons of Zherdev.
so you have no answer to my questions.....awesome...

Quote:
And for those calling Zherdev greedy that's simply laughable. Why would he opt for arbitration if he was greedy and didn't want to stay with the Rangers? He had the chance to seek out an offer sheet but instead chose arbitration only days into free agency.
hmm....why would he go to arbitration? Because he knows the Rangers are about to let him go. He didn't do this to stay, he did this to get out of his contract....in a word...duh...

A chance to seek out an offer sheet? How do you know he DIDN'T seek out an offer sheet and teams werent' willing to pay his price AND the compensation? Again..duh...

Quote:
He was 73rd in scoring last year. Production is production. If you distribute that evenly throughout NHL teams when you consider the top 90 scorers would create all 30 first lines, which in the real world isn't the case, lending even more validity to my argument, you realize his production is on 1st line level. I'm not sure how you scoff at 50 to 60 point players when considering even distribution that's 1st line production.
I scoff it at because its's a mirage....it's not something you can count on when the team needs it. You can spin stats anyway you want but try watching him play and then say he is first line player....A first line talent? no doubt....a first line player? not when it counts..

Quote:
Michael Ryder signed a 4MM contract last year and produced less. Husilieus 4.75 Both were on better offensive teams. Would you like me to keep going? A 24 year old Zherdev would be offered 4MM on the open market.
Yeah keep going....but also take into account when these players signed....last season around July 1st when the market was totally diffrerent. When teams didn't spend their budgets on players.....You can compare as many players you want to Zherdev....I dont' care...it's like when a kid says "but my friends parents will let them go" it's the same case with Zherdev. Just because other teams gave out bad contracts doesn't mean the Rangers will. I've also explained why teams won't give him the money now.

As Andrew Gross pointed out today Zherdev didn't like playing for Torts and this "arbitration" has "going to Russia" written all over it. I think Zherdev will be the new Morozov...Infact they are very similar players...

cheers!

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote