HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round 2, #47 overall - Rangers select Ethan Werek

Old
06-28-2009, 01:04 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Gotta love that blurb...good find RB

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:07 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I personally think this guy has a much higher upside than what most are predicting. Duchene, who is garnering comparisons to Sakic and Yzerman put up 79 points in 58 games in his second season in the OHL. Werek put up 64 points, and I know he played more games, but he also played on possibly the worst team in the OHL, where the leading scorer had 72 points (as opposed to in Brampton where Duchene had Grachev and Hodgson), and he had to take time to adjust to the higher competition as an OHL rookie. I know if I had a choice between Werek and Duchene it would be the latter without hesitation, but I think if Duchene is garunteed by many to be a 1st line center I think Werek can be more then a 3rd liner. I also loved the quote, which I don't want to look for, where he said he's never happy with his game, he's always trying to perfect it. I think this pick was a steal and he's going to be a very intimidating top six forward that will excel on the powerplay.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:22 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Wow, this kid has a good head on his shoulders. I really like his attitude and outlook. This bit caught my eye in particular:

Quote:
At the end of the week I will be in Montreal to take in the draft and whenever my name is called it will be a great honour to be recognized by an organization, but I know that I will need to work even harder to become an national league player.
These seem like the words of a very mature young man who is ready to bust his ***. Let's hope he does.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Here's another post from that OHL Prospects blog, where they had him ranked 5th among eligible draftees, ahead of Kassian, Kadri and Holland:

Quote:
. Ethan Werek - Forward - Kingston Frontenacs
Outside of Chris DeSousa, no draft eligible OHL'er scored more goals than Werek did (32). So why the concerns about his offensive potential? In Stouffville Junior A last year, he outscored Corey Trivino, being a year younger, and all that was heard about Trivino last year was the offensive potential he had. This just in though, Werek can play, and play well. Scoring 32 goals on that Kingston team this year is quite impressive, considering how terrible they were. Even more impressive was his consistent effort throughout the entire season, continuing to improve as the season went along and he got more comfortable. Look at how he finished the season, 6 goals, 7 assists in the 8 games of March. Werek is just a solid player. He skates hard, forechecks and is developing into a very effective puck possession player. He has good hands and can from time to time, flash some serious stickhandling ability, especially in driving to the net, which he did with increasing authority as the season went along. He backchecks, he takes the body, and he's slowly developing into a power forward. He's also an incredibly intelligent player, who knows where to be on the ice. Toss in his very solid performance for Canada at the Under 18's, and I think we've got a player a lot of people are really underestimating.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/200...r-2009_13.html

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:37 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Werek sounds to me like he could be Jason Ward and that scares me.

I hope I'm wrong...
How?

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 04:07 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
Werek, kind of reminds me of a former Ranger... maybe not as tough but otherwise, hustle, effort, 2way player, mediocre skater, good size, solid hands, does what it takes to win, team player, 64pt rookie year in the O. Not saying this is what I project him to be, but similar players in their draft years. My all time favorite Ranger #9 Adam Graves. Granted Gravey blew up for 100+pts as an 18yo, don't think Werek does that; but right now from the little I have seen and the bunch I have read for some reason #9 is what I think of.

Flame away...
I can actually see the comparison in the limited video I've seen. I didn't realize that he scored the 3rd most goals of any draft eligible player coming out of the OHL (1st was Tavares).

Here are some more clips:

This one is awesome - on the rush, he takes a midair pass, knocks it down and then goes short side on the goalie for his first OHL goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzjUr3nVKDo

Here he is scoring with a top corner shot on the rush. Impressive to see him hit the corner of the pipe on the move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjnVW0EZQ6s

The goal is at 2:40. (As an added bonus, Grachev sets up the OT game-winner at 4:20.)

Starting to get more excited about this kid.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:38 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Interesting two year old article on Ethan.

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=714115

He was headed to Boston University before detouring and playing junior A in Kingston. Based on the schools he entertained, it sounds like he is a pretty smart guy. Well spoken.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Salvage21

I'm telling you. I LOVE THIS PICK. Before the draft I would of been fine if the Rangers traded down and got two second rounders, as long as one of the two players they select was Werek. I watched on Saturday morning as the second round unfolded- McKenzie was talking about Ferraro or someone and then they panned back to the board and started descending down the list of players drafted.. I saw Morin was picked by Atlanta and was disappointed.. But when I saw we got Werek and I literally Jumped for joy. I see a lot of Ryan Smyth in his game. He uses his blend of size and grit(a long with skill) to drive to the net and cash in the rebounds.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Having seen him play all season, I can't help but be a huge fan of his. On a sad-sack Kingston club, which was devoid of talent and, possibly even worse, work ethic, Werek was the lone bright light. Forget skill level, if every player on Kingston brought the same effort and hustle every game that Werek did, Kingston wouldn't have been the joke of the league.

His skating is a little weak, he's got good speed when he's got a head of steam going, but his quick-step speed just isn't very dynamic. IMO, if he had better wheels, he would have easily been a Top-10 pick. He's got the skills, the wicked wrist shot, the hustle, the on-ice smarts, and decent size. The only thing lacking is that one-step breakaway speed.

One thing that he seems to have a knack for is scoring the big goals, too. He doesn't shy away when the game is on the line. On a weak, weak Kingston club, which didn't win a whole lot of games, Werek scored a good portion of either their game winners or game tying goals. Two that stick out in my mind were, during Doug Gilmour's debut behind the Kingston bench, Werek scoring the winning goal in overtime on a nice drive to the net. It wasn't pretty, but he just bowled his way to the net and pounded it in. The second one, was against a John Tavares-lead London Knights team that was, by far and away, superior to Kingston. Werek scored the winning goal with about 2 seconds left in the third period.

What's more impressive about his stats, is that for the first 20 or so games this season, he struggled to find his game as he adjusted to the OHL. He was being played out of position (on left wing, he's better at center), and he had only 6 goals in about 23 games. After he was moved back to center permanently, and after he got accustomed to the play at the OHL level, he scored 26 goals in the final 43 games, which would have translated to about 40 goals over a full season.

If he can just improve his skating, he'll be a good one.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:13 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Ethan Werek, a diehard Toronto Maple Leafs fan growing up in the shadow of Hogtown, was selected by his favourite team in the second round of the National Hockey League Entry Draft on Saturday morning.

No, not the Leafs but the New York Rangers, Werek's onetime chosen video-game club.

"The Rangers were my favourite Xbox team back when (Jaromir) Jagr played for them," Werek acknowledged in a cellphone interview yesterday from the Big Apple, where he's spending the remainder of this week at the team's development camp.
Quote:
In his e-mail the following morning was an airline ticket to New York City. Werek packed, caught a late-morning flight and was en route to the Crown Plaza hotel when theWhig-Standard caught up with him.

"It's a development camp for all the prospects in the Rangers system," Werek said of the five-day workout session at the Rangers' practice facility in White Plains. The camp, which includes off-ice training as well, ends on Friday.
http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1633754

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 09:32 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
Got a little bit out of the kid today over Facebook. Nothing special, of course I won't pester him that much.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post
Got a little bit out of the kid today over Facebook. Nothing special, of course I won't pester him that much.

SICK DUDE! I'm fb friends with him as well

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Seems like a solid character guy. Good size. Scores garbage goals. And is tough. Here's a Dangle exclusive interview with Werek prior to the Draft.

I like what he said about his uncle being someone he looks up to because he's blind and still a good golfer.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Soks45

whats this kid's ideal schedule? 1 more year in the ohl? then ahl? or 2 ohl then ahl? is he subject to that rule which will prevent from playing in hartford until he's 20?

Soks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 11:09 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soks45 View Post
whats this kid's ideal schedule? 1 more year in the ohl? then ahl? or 2 ohl then ahl? is he subject to that rule which will prevent from playing in hartford until he's 20?
2 more years in the OHL unless we sign him and he makes the team (which wont happen).

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote