HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone Read "Hockey Tough" ?

Old
07-08-2009, 11:16 PM
FLYLine27
BrassGod

vCash: 500
Anyone Read "Hockey Tough" ?

I was reading a few threads around here and someone brought this book up saying it was a VERY good tool to improve your mental side of the game and works wonders on your game overall. Thought, meh why not give it a shot and ordered it.

Just got it today, read the intro and part of the first chapter before my game and it seems like its going to be well worth the money spent. The author is a Sports psychologist who worked 20 years with NHLers, amateurs, and youths to see how they saw the game mentally and how to improve them with different methods.

It states right off the bat that the book is not meant for new players or casual players but hardcore players who want to improve their game.

So have any of you read the book? How did you find it? Did your game improve?

Quote:
Product Description
Develop the focus, tenacity, poise, and team attitude needed to excel on the ice. Hockey Tough builds on physical skills by strengthening mental factors that apply directly to the game. Performance consultant Saul Miller presents the training techniques he has taught hockey players and teams for more than 20 years throughout North America. In addition, NHL stars such as Mark Messier, Pavel Bure, Chris Pronger, Steve Yzerman, and Markus Naslund offer inside tips on how to play with a winning mind-set.
http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Tough-S...7112621&sr=8-1

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
I was reading threw the customer reviews and I saw this.

Quote:
The book covers pre-game preparation and visualization, handling of positive and negative emotions inherent in the game, and techniques for forwards, D and Goalies to use to keep them focused on the game at hand, not the shot they missed 2 shifts ago. It is an easy read, efficiently laid out and well written. The advice given is practical and easily put into use in your next game. I highly recommend it.
That's something I probably need. If I screw up early in a game, the rest of the game is not going to go well.

I'll probably pick one up.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 12:57 AM
FLYLine27
BrassGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I was reading threw the customer reviews and I saw this.

That's something I probably need. If I screw up early in a game, the rest of the game is not going to go well.

I'll probably pick one up.
I'm there with you...if a "all star" forward embarrasses me and get around me and scores...pretty much my game is over..I will think about that non stop..but this book will help me with that.

Im so looking forward reading the read of this...for less then 20 bucks...there is no harm in reading it at all.

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 01:50 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I'm there with you...if a "all star" forward embarrasses me and get around me and scores...pretty much my game is over..I will think about that non stop..but this book will help me with that.

Im so looking forward reading the read of this...for less then 20 bucks...there is no harm in reading it at all.
Agreed, one crappy play and I have no legs the rest of the game. From the opposite spectrum, if I get a goal or a nice assist, everything about my games goes up a few levels.

I just wish I could get that "high" feeling from the beginning.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Rzeznik

I've read it front to back twice, not to mention glancing through different sections at certain times of my season. I highly recommend it, for anyone looking for an improved mental game, or anyone interested in that side of hockey in general.

Rzeznik is offline   Reply With Quote