HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Borer and Peters re-signed

Old
07-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

vCash: 500
Borer and Peters re-signed

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?...ticleid=436578

One year, two way for both. Both $500,000 at the NHL level and $60,000 at the AHL.

07-08-2009, 07:44 PM
clementnorman

this is good news for canes and albany. hopefully peters can really dominate next year and then we can trade him.

clementnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 07:47 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
no need, bring him up after next year to be Cam's backup since Leighton's a UFA.

Hopefully Borer can stay healthy this year. I still think he's a solid prospect as long as he can stay off the injured list.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

I'm too lazy to research - wasn't Borer one of the Rats injured in the accident, maybe something that sounded more severe? If so, anyone heard how he's progressed? I have to admit I've lost track.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
I'm too lazy to research - wasn't Borer one of the Rats injured in the accident, maybe something that sounded more severe? If so, anyone heard how he's progressed? I have to admit I've lost track.
He broke his neck and missed the rest of the year.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
clementnorman

do you think leighton is not worthy of the backup role? i think hes an average backup

Old
07-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementnorman View Post
do you think leighton is not worthy of the backup role? i think hes an average backup
He is worthy of it I'm sure, but if Peters is ever going to step up it'll be next year. Perfect timing with Leighton coming off the books. The hole can be filled from within the organization and then that'll leave the starting position in Albany open for Murphy. That's how I see the timeline working out, ideally.

Old
07-09-2009, 06:54 AM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
He broke his neck and missed the rest of the year.
Shades of Cole! This kind of injury can't be as common as it seems on our team(s)?

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucktheCaniac View Post
Shades of Cole! This kind of injury can't be as common as it seems on our team(s)?
Borer's neck injury happened during a bus crash with all the Albany players on board. Just highly unfortunate for him. I think his career is done. Carolina did a classy thing by keeping him around as to not cut him directly after the accident, but I think he's no longer in the organizational plans. He has been supplanted by Carson and Rodney alike.... possibly even McBain with a strong camp. His window has closed due to injuries and loss of position on the depth chart.

Peters is going to be our next backup goaltender and that's exciting for us. He has a lot of skill and should be a strong goaltender for a while for us. Leighton is a place holder right now at the league minimum. He has no problem opening the bench door for $550k a year if it's between that and grinding it out in the minors.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
It's going to be tough for Borer and he is indeed on the outside looking in right now. However, I still have faith in him to come back here and potentially be a part of this blueline in the future. He's only 23, 24 in a couple weeks. Physically, he's been through a lot and mentally he's been through a lot more. It's just very unfortunate in my mind. For having watched Carson, Rodney and Borer in brief stints here, I was most impressed with Borer. Not by much over Carson, but I think both had the potential to crack this blueline and be two of our defensive defenceman for quite some time.

This season is no doubt a make or break year for Casey and he will have to live up to it, stay healthy and show he can still compete at a high level. I think he can, I hope he can. I wouldn't cut bait on him just yet. One memory that really impressed me with Borer was last year when Brind'Amour took a shot and Borer was there within seconds, gloves dropped, sticking up for the captain. Skated away with a nasty cut and blood all over his face, but I would be willing to place my bets that we would have been very hard pressed to have witnessed anybody else on the team do the same thing. It impressed me.

I hope Borer can come back from these injuries. It will be tough mentally as he may always have it in the back of his mind, "one wrong turn, move.. and there goes my knee"... "one hit, awkward fall.. I don't want to break my neck". It will be a tough mountain to overcome and the mental part of it will be a telling tale. After such injuries a players mind can wonder more times than none which in return effects his decision making. And then there is the physical aspect of what his body can take and where his body is at.

I wish him the best. I'd like to see him on our blueline again one day. It sure would be nice for one of our writers to catch up with Casey and do a piece on his recovery, etc, where he is now and where he see's himself in the coming months.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 02:25 PM
clementnorman

i also remember the brindy thing. that was very nice to see, they said something about brindy really worked hard with him in his pre camp stuff and i think he let borer stay in his house during the camp, but im not sure about that just seems like i heard that.

Old
07-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementnorman View Post
i also remember the brindy thing. that was very nice to see, they said something about brindy really worked hard with him in his pre camp stuff and i think he let borer stay in his house during the camp, but im not sure about that just seems like i heard that.
Yup, Borer lived with Brindy while rehabbing his knee.