HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dogs vs Phantoms

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2004, 01:38 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Dogs vs Phantoms

I was at the game tonight, just got back, will have a report tomorrow as I got to work in 5 hours and I just finished working 64 hours this week, so I got to get some sleep. here's the short verison. Oh and I was late getting to the game, missed half of the first period. (damn traffic and work)

Kostitsyn had a poor game, not skating hard most of the time, then all the sudden the puck would come to him and bamn a good scoring chance. The good news is that he looked better defensively, but the bad news is that he was not skating hard imo, many times he would chase down the puck, but he was not going as fast as I've seen him skate. Seemed to play a good bit with Plekanec, I hope Jarvis continues to use this combo. Played the last shift of the game with Urquhart.

Hainsey was the best defensemen for Hamilton, but still not what I like to see from him. He showed good flashes, moved the puck well, and was solid in his own end. But he showed flashes of NHL skills playing against AHL level skills, but couldn't keepp it up on a consistant basis. This kid could be great, average or never make it, I have no clue. Skating was very good, looked impressive on the PP, even had a nice hit, played a lot, still had a few mental errors and while it was a good game overall for him, he could have done more, still good to see though.

Higgins was Hamiltons' best player imo. Skated hard all game, strong on the PK, although didn't do too much offensively, the entire team couldn't get it going offensively outside of the PP. Also played a lot and was very good. Showed good speed and had a few hits.

Pleks got hit in the mouth, lost a tooth from what I heard I didn't see it, but he came out in the 2nd with a full visor on. Worked hard all game, was in the right place at the right time for his 2nd goal, it was good work from Hainsey to throw it towards Milroy, who was down low post side, threw it on net, Plekanec got the rebound.

Ward's goal was a sweet shot from the high slot, when I saw Ward had some space, I saw it coming, he turned right and saw he had room, stepped into the slot and fired a nice shot (past a somewhat shaky goalie) although Locke was right there trying to screen the Finnish goalie. Great to see Ward out there, he should help this team a lot in many ways.

The refs weren't too good. Called some weak penalties, then let other stuff go. Made too many calls overall, no flow to the game imo. Dogs weren't very physical, phantoms took the play to them. Ellis was good and bad. Saw a ton of shots, but not many great ones, made some big saves, let in a few semi-weak goals. Ivanans beat the crap out of Cote. He beat him so bad, I really felt sorry for Cote, who still needs to be taught a lesson, as he threw a shot at Ivanans after the refs stepped in and Ivanans relaxed. I thought Ivanans was going to beat up the refs to get to Cote. Cote's didn't look banged up from what I could see (I was right behind the phantoms penalty box, 1st row of seats, right on center ice) but Ivanans landed several major punches, it was painful to watch but I give Cote credit for taking his beating and standing in there.

The tag up rule works great, no touch icicing isn't bad either. Phantoms defense had a lot of trouble keeping the puck in at the blueline. Biggest disappointment of the night was Joni Pitaken, who I expected to be the top player in the game, did next to nothing all game. Looked ok on the PP that was it.

I'll post an article at some point on all the players, just wanted to pass it along.

Old
10-23-2004, 02:01 AM
paxtang

I disagree on two things.

One, I'm pretty sure on the video replay they showed that Ward's shot (though it was a nice shot) deflected off of Sharp. Nitty had no chance on any of the goals and played a solid game.

I also felt that Pitkanen played a very strong game. He was solid defensivley, started a lot of rushes, and at least 5 shots on goal and was pinching all game. He also mixed it up a little. IMO he had a very strong game.

Kostitsyn didn't show me much, he took a pretty bad spill after he got hip checked by Tony Voce, the NE Philly native. He sorta flipped over him and I don't know if he was shaken up but he didn't appear much the rest of the game. Daley was very impressive to me, not that you guys care though.

And yes, Ivanans beat down Cote.

Old
10-23-2004, 02:35 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Thanks Guys...get some sleep Dan....a 64hr work week...ouch.

Old
10-23-2004, 05:07 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
I disagree on two things.

One, I'm pretty sure on the video replay they showed that Ward's shot (though it was a nice shot) deflected off of Sharp. Nitty had no chance on any of the goals and played a solid game.

I also felt that Pitkanen played a very strong game. He was solid defensivley, started a lot of rushes, and at least 5 shots on goal and was pinching all game. He also mixed it up a little. IMO he had a very strong game.

Kostitsyn didn't show me much, he took a pretty bad spill after he got hip checked by Tony Voce, the NE Philly native. He sorta flipped over him and I don't know if he was shaken up but he didn't appear much the rest of the game. Daley was very impressive to me, not that you guys care though.

And yes, Ivanans beat down Cote.

Ward's goal was given to Locke at first, then changed later, it was a nice shot that the goalie didn't have much of a chance on, but overall I thought he seemed shaky in nets considering he didn't see that many shots.

Pitkanen didn't impress me at all, the fans around me were booing him, I thought it was funny. For an NHLer playing in the AHL he didn't do much outside of a the PP. But I wasn't paying much attention to anyone that isn't a Hab prospect as I don't give a flying crap about them.

Kostitsyn wasn't skating hard before the hit (which was a BS hit, one of a few by phantom players) Voce should have been shown he can't get away with that kind of crap, but he wasn't, nor was Myer (I think it was him) who also had a knee on knee shot.

Daley didn't stick out to me, other then taking a stupid penalty late in the game, although imo it was a weak call.

Also the fans there reallyed seemed to hate Ott, and kept calling for him to get hit.

Closed Thread