HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Matt Gilroy Q&A

Old
07-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Matt Gilroy Q&A

Fan questions and Gilroy's answers now up at NYRangers.com: http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=436389

Quote:
Rick from Laurel Hollow, N.Y., asks:

Who has been the best player that you've played with?

Gilroy's response:

I guess it's been in the summers, actually, and it's Chris Higgins. I've worked with him. He's a year older than me, and I've played with him my whole life and trained with him. I'm excited that he's coming here, and I'd say he's the best player I've played with.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Greg02

He said back in the day. Disappointing.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:15 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

No disrespect to Higgins, but if thats the best player he's played with or against, we are in trouble on the blueline.

All the more reason the Rangers need another veteran defenseman. Especially if they wind up trading Rozy.

I have absolutely no idea what this Gilroy is going to bring, and to be quite honest i dont believe he can make this team and stay on it until i see it. Not to say he wont or he cant...

I'd be drinking a whole lot of Kool-Aid if i did...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:51 PM
GAGLine

All of the reviews so far have been positive, and those who have seen him think he will make the team. Guess we'll have to wait for camp and see for ourselves.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:55 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
All of the reviews so far have been positive, and those who have seen him think he will make the team. Guess we'll have to wait for camp and see for ourselves.
Gotta temper the enthusiasm.

He hasnt seen a second of NHL hockey and when he was standing by the boards being interviewed at one of the Rangers games at the Garden, he even admitted he has a lot of work to do. He looked like a deer in the headlights.

Again, im not saying he cant or wont. But you dont know how a guy is going to react when hes got that NHL logo on his sweater.

We'll have to wait and see, like you said.

Old
07-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
No disrespect to Higgins, but if thats the best player he's played with or against, we are in trouble on the blueline.
uhh, as a guy who hasn't played pro yet, why would you expect him to have played against someone better than Higgins? If Higgins is the only NHL player he's ever played with, then yeah, he's easily the best player Gilroy has played against.

It's kind of the same for pretty much any hockey prospect who plays against a NHLer for the first time.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:02 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
uhh, as a guy who hasn't played pro yet, why would you expect him to have played against someone better than Higgins? If Higgins is the only NHL player he's ever played with, then yeah, he's easily the best player Gilroy has played against.

It's kind of the same for pretty much any hockey prospect who plays against a NHLer for the first time.
yeah you can say the same about any player in juniors. higgins is better than 99% of them as well with the exception of the one generational talent every few years...

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:

All the more reason the Rangers need another veteran defenseman. Especially if they wind up trading Rozy.

I have absolutely no idea what this Gilroy is going to bring, and to be quite honest i dont believe he can make this team and stay on it until i see it. Not to say he wont or he cant...

I'd be drinking a whole lot of Kool-Aid if i did...
Ummmm....

He has been playing in COLLEGE man. What do you expect?

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:15 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

Just trying to make a point Levy... relax!

My point is exactly that. A lot of posters already have the guy slotted into the D corps, and he hasnt even laced them up for a pro game on any level.

Sure he has the same exact chance to wow us as he does to fail. Just bringing the reality into it.

Old
07-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Wouldn't be good to have Gilroy make the team anyway where he's making almost $2 mil.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:19 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I love the little snippet on him being a fan of Lidstrom when he was younger. Let's hope he learned a little something from watching Nik.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:21 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Wouldn't be good to have Gilroy make the team anyway where he's making almost $2 mil.
heaven forbid someone who was good enough didnt make the team because of a 1.75m contract.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:27 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
A lot of posters already have the guy slotted into the D corps, and he hasnt even laced them up for a pro game on any level.
I've never seen anything like it. Is it because he's so old or because he makes so much money? He's definitely no Ovechkin type of player. And that's the only type of player you can pencil into a lineup before he plays a pro game.

If he wasn't signed for an insane amount of money, I doubt anybody would be giving him anything more than a slight chance to crack the lineup. It's simply not very likely that he will and is far more likely that somebody with a good amount of AHL experience will outplay him.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think a lot of people are excited by what he did in the NCAA tournament, plus there was tons of buzz as teams were pursuing him after his season ended, which helped whip up the frenzy around him.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
One more thing.. he's saying something nice about a guy who he seems to sort of be friends with. Nothing wrong with that... and its to be expected, actually.

Valid points however in that he's played COLLEGE of course, lol

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 07:12 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
We're paying him that much money because we expect him to make the team...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 02:28 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
A lot of posters already have the guy slotted into the D corps, and he hasnt even laced them up for a pro game on any level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
I've never seen anything like it. Is it because he's so old or because he makes so much money? He's definitely no Ovechkin type of player. And that's the only type of player you can pencil into a lineup before he plays a pro game.

If he wasn't signed for an insane amount of money, I doubt anybody would be giving him anything more than a slight chance to crack the lineup. It's simply not very likely that he will and is far more likely that somebody with a good amount of AHL experience will outplay him.
I've counted SEVERAL posts with him in the top 6 thread. A majority in fact.

Old
07-10-2009, 03:50 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I think I, like most, hope this kid can quickly transition to the NHL. I don't think he's going to be an instant star, however if he transitions similar to the way Brunnstrom did last year, I'll be happy.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:57 PM
teflonsteve

Quote:
The Rangers were the only team willing to give him a one way deal which is in part the reason he signed there. I would imagine Sather didn't give that contract to a player they thought would ride the pine or the bus in the minors. I'm sure he'll be given every opportunity to make your top 6.

teflonsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 06:23 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
That's my point. I've never seen anything like it (THAT which you point out). A prospect who would otherwise have virtually no chance of making the team is automatically penciled in by most fans. It can only be because of the money. Because he isn't that type of talent. If he wasn't signed to that money, he would have slim to no chance of making the team out of training camp. It's virtually impossible for somebody of his talent level with so little applicable experience. His age is irrelevant. He may have life experience. And real world maturity helps even in the NHL. But it's nothing when you're talking about a lack of professional experience (be it international or in the NHL). I would be a bit shocked (pleasantly so) if he actually earned a roster spot.

Then again, at this point it seems there are at least two spots for a rookie. I doubt it will remain that way. But under those circumstances, I guess he has a better shot at it.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
(Please accept my apology if this isn't the right place for this question)

What is Matt Gilroy's status after his current contract is up? Since he is a UFA at 24, will the Rangers have the opportunity to ever retain his rights as an RFA, or is he forever going contract to contract now?

Thanks!

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote