HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Does this "strongman" workout look good?

Old
07-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that smashing something with a sludgehammer as hard as you can is a TERRIBLE idea? It's a great way to dislocate the crap out of your shoulders.
Yeah if you go extra hard on the backswing I could see it, but if you're mainly using your abdomen and lats to smash it down onto a bouncy tire, I think it's fine.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 05:35 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Yeah if you go extra hard on the backswing I could see it, but if you're mainly using your abdomen and lats to smash it down onto a bouncy tire, I think it's fine.
yeah, that's what I'm gonna do.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 05:51 PM
GuitarAwesome

Do any other famous NHL players besides Briere use this kinda stuff? Seems a little unorthodox to me.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
Do any other famous NHL players besides Briere use this kinda stuff? Seems a little unorthodox to me.
A lot of mixed martial artists do it that exercise. I think I saw a video of Claude Giroux doing stuff like it on Youtube....

I found a bunch of cool videos actually...

Here is Giroux racing horses and doing tire flips and weird stuff (working for that Rocky IV status).

Sam Gagne doing lots of plyo's and judo push ups with a hockey stick.

Alzner is doing a lot of his light lifts on the balance boards, which is cool, and an awesome way to build coordination in your stabilizer and core muscles in while you're doing other stuff.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 07-09-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Just my opinion, but I think everything that's been posted in this thread is average to sub average advice if you want to get fit.

I completely disagree with the upper/lower body split and I really hate the classic bodybuilding split (bis/chest, back/legs, tris/shoulders) for athletes.

Basically, I'm going to have to preach for what I do.

I reallllly like Georges St. Pierre as an athlete. He's an awesome individual and an amazing athlete. I loved it even more when I looked at his training videos and his trainer had the exact same training philosophy as I do.

Basically, you train according to what your body does. That means pulling, pushing, the three different planes and unilateral/bilateral work.

Unilateral work is essential. Yes, that means killing yourself doing side to side pull ups and one leg deadlifts.

Here's a great video of Georges St. Pierre training, literally everything he does here, I also do in my workout(though his strength is humbling) and It's extremely functional training. I have no idea what Loiseau is doing, but hey they're the professionals.

Here's another video of him workout unilaterally. Notice the one leg squats on a bench(which although is one of the first progressions, he's doing with a ton of weight) as well as the dumbell snatches and weighted squat jumps. I wouldn't recommend the DB squat jumps as you can hurt your knee, but you can put some weights on a barbell 1/3rd of your squat weight is generally a good rule of thumb:

Here's two exercises which I am literally always at awe when I see it. I can only wish to be this strong, but imo these two exercises can make you a million times more explosive. My favorite lifter is Iranian, but he's a genetic freak so I'm going to post a guy my mom and grandma know through his brother, just to give him props:

The clean and jerk.

The snatch

His technique is a bit off here but he's lifting an absolutely insane amount of weight.

Here's another good video of the type of explosive work I do in every workout. I often use this as a tabata HIIT workout:

If you're interested in more info on this type of training, I've put my workout excel sheet in a thread in the Lounge forum. I don't think it's updated though as the update has a lot more detail in it. The basics are basically that on a 3 day workout you do full body and on a 4 day split, you do push-pull... but the quality of the exercises as well as the training intensity are both essential.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
A lot of mixed martial artists do it that exercise. I think I saw a video of Claude Giroux doing stuff like it on Youtube....

I found a bunch of cool videos actually...

Here is Giroux racing horses and doing tire flips and weird stuff (working for that Rocky IV status).

Sam Gagne doing lots of plyo's and judo push ups with a hockey stick.

Alzner is doing a lot of his light lifts on the balance boards, which is cool, and an awesome way to build coordination in your stabilizer and core muscles in while you're doing other stuff.

Gagne . Alzner I wasn't impressed at all.

I'm really jealous of the Oilers, this guy will be one hell of a player.

Last edited by Little Nilan: 07-09-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old
07-10-2009, 07:21 AM
koh19

yeah, I kinda agree with the fact that the bodybuilder's 3 day split isn't the best for a hockey player. Although I tried that for while, I noticed that it wasn't adapted to my goals so I stopped.

When it comes to strongman exercises, there's lifting, pulling, pushing and carrying. It works all kinds of different muscle groups in different ways.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
yeah, I kinda agree with the fact that the bodybuilder's 3 day split isn't the best for a hockey player. Although I tried that for while, I noticed that it wasn't adapted to my goals so I stopped.

When it comes to strongman exercises, there's lifting, pulling, pushing and carrying. It works all kinds of different muscle groups in different ways.
Strongman exercises are good for sure.

Old
07-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Jerome

Tire flip are realy nice

Farmer walk too

try to push the tire down versus one of your friend... Realy nice for core muscles...

If you want to improve your strongman exercice give a try in the gym to some bigger bar, bigger grip dumbell or stuff like that, if you don't try something like www.fatgripz.com, I have some and realy love them.

Bigger grip gonna helps you alot in any pull exercices too.

Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Still Naive

do crossfit.

www.crossfit.com

find a local affiliate and do WODs with a group; trust me, you'll be in much better shape in four months.

Still Naive is offline   Reply With Quote