HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THN.com Top 10: Worst UFA contracts

Old
07-10-2009, 09:10 AM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
THN.com Top 10: Worst UFA contracts

Komisarek is #9 and both Cammalleri and Gionta are in the top 5! - LOL

http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/NHL/C...e&pagenumber=1

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Kebekoi

We're always scheduled to finish 14th unless we're over hyped so....

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:14 AM

Giving out rankings before they've even hit the ice...that makes total sense.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:14 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Poor Gainey. It's either "the Canadiens didn't do enough to improve themselves this summer" (see every other summer before last year's) or "the Canadiens spent too much trying to improve themselves this summer" (see this year's and last). On va voir.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:15 AM
otto bond

Not valid yet for most of them. I would classified this into gambled signing.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Colton Orr making $1M as their #8 worst contract is a joke.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Derek Zoolander
En un clin d'il

It's almost like they threw Orr and Komo in at the lower positions to prevent Habs fans from saying that this is typical Leaf-centric journalism. There's no way that Gionta's contract is the second worst - the Bulin Wall, Gaborik and Hossa have to take the cake.

Derek Zoolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:18 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Poor Gainey. It's either "the Canadiens didn't do enough to improve themselves this summer" (see every other summer before last year's) or "the Canadiens spent too much trying to improve themselves this summer" (see this year's and last). On va voir.
This.

I'm getting annoyed at seeing all the experts everywhere who make it seem like it's an easy job to be a GM in the NHL, if everyone knows so much about it and knows exactly what moves to do, why are they not GMs?

As far as I'm concerned, I like the Habs team on paper right now, and am willing to at least give them a chance to prove themselves on the ice comme october, which is a lot more chance than it seems most people are giving them.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I could understand them putting Gionta there, since he didn't have an amazing season last year... but for a PPG winger like Cammalleri? Heh...

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Chuck the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
totaly agree with you... We have to wait and see what happens on the ice before judging theese contracts. I hope Cammy and Gomez make them eat their words.

Chuck the Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:29 AM
habaholic

Yeah...but they're small, which seems to be the only adjective they have for the players we got..they're not really skilled, feisty players, they're just small....

habaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:30 AM
felixd

Come on guys...lets' be honest.

Gionta's is pretty bad. I'm fine with 5 million per year, because we're not very tight against the cap right now, but 5 years? Waaaaaaay too long. This one could come back to bite us in the butt.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
Come on guys...lets' be honest.

Gionta's is pretty bad. I'm fine with 5 million per year, because we're not very tight against the cap right now, but 5 years? Waaaaaaay too long. This one could come back to bite us in the butt.
Or it could be a steal???

Anyways, I knew the general mood of the board would start to lighten up on the moves Gainey has made...once the shocks wears off, we'll start to see more and more Habs fans defending Gainey's moves. You watch, by the time training camps rolls around and all the magazing prognosticators start pegging the Habs to finish 13th or 12th, you'll all come to Gainey's defense.

Old
07-10-2009, 09:34 AM
MathMan

Um guys...

That article is arguing that essentially EVERY significant UFA contract handed out this off-season is bad. They're all there: Hossa, Havlat, Gaborik, Cammalleri, Gionta, Komisarek, even Antropov. Really surprised not to see Ohlund on the list, too.

That means he's essentially arguing that teams would be better off doing nothing than paying market value for high-end players.

It's rather hilarious the way the list is built. Basically, if you signed a good free agent this year, you make the list.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:36 AM
TheCH*

I can't believe people are getting all defensive over Gainey being called out on the Gionta contract. That contract is insanely high.

All you people defending it are the same people who would be laughing your ass off if Toronto or Boston signed him to that same deal.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:36 AM
BadKiwi

Koivu is not on the list.

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Puckhead58*

This is coming from the same people who said we'd finish 13th in the conference the same year we finished 1st in the conference.

What they say has nothing to do with where we will actually end up in the standings.

Cammalleri and Gionta got the money they are worth and thats that. If anybody thinks that nobody would give Cammi an offer like that, they need to give their head a shake.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I could understand them putting Gionta there, since he didn't have an amazing season last year... but for a PPG winger like Cammalleri? Heh...
Cammalleri is now the 10th highest paid winger in the game. I don't think anyone really looks at him as a top 10 or even top 25 winger in the game today.

He's a legit 1st liner and guy who will get you points, but he's not going to carry this team on his back and single-handedly take over games. He's an upgrade over Tanguay; a nice player who will be a scoring threat on your first line, but ultimately not the guy who is going be the go-to-guy in the playoffs.

But overpaying for free agents has become normal. All UFAs are "overpaid" and teams that go about restocking their rosters through free agency usually come away with a very pricey core.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:41 AM
number 11

haha...i'm so happy we have cammaleri because every team (especially the laffs) wanted him. for a ufa goalscorer like him, 6 mil is well worth it.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:41 AM
TinordiandSubban

Hossa's contract is crazy. 12 years? Out of their minds.
Gaborik and Havlat are made of glass and are signed to please the fans as much as improve the team.
Antropov and Orr round out the top 5 worst of the summer.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:42 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Giving out rankings before they've even hit the ice...that makes total sense.
Agreed this is just stupid and let's see what happens on the ice. Cammy and Gionta might score 30+ goals each for all they know.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
I can't believe people are getting all defensive over Gainey being called out on the Gionta contract. That contract is insanely high.

All you people defending it are the same people who would be laughing your ass off if Toronto or Boston signed him to that same deal.
Gionta was a FREE agent, EVERY free agent...whether it's a high end one or a more obscure one, gets overpaid. However, it's especially true with the higher end free agents.

I always laugh when people say team X overpaid for player Y...it's inevitable, you're competing for a player with multiple teams in a free market, of course you're going to overpay.

Gainey gets bashed for not being acting on the free agent front, the he gets bashed for being too active. Essentially, what I get from alot of Habs fans is that they want Gainey to sign all the best players, at the cheapest deals possible...yeah, that makes total sense and it's totally realistic

Old
07-10-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
haha...i'm so happy we have cammaleri because every team (especially the laffs) wanted him. for a ufa goalscorer like him, 6 mil is well worth it.
The Leafs did want Cammalleri...I wonder if they would of signed him and added him to a forward group that includes players like Grabovski, Blake, Hagman, Stajan, Kulemin, if people would of ridiculed Burke for adding another small player?

Old
07-10-2009, 09:47 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Also in looking at the other big names that are signing, we had basically two choices - go for small skilled guys or go for fragile skilled guys. If we had signed Havlat, Antropov and Gaborik, everyone would be criticizing us for signing guys who might not play more than 60 games a year. Obviously the exception is Hossa who is neither, but that's one guy.

TheCH, I don't think anybody is disputing that Gionta is overpaid. Welcome to unrestricted free agency in Montreal.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Daice

I think Hossa is nowhere near the top 10, he is a consistent goal scorer, non injury prone with a cap hit of what 5.something.

And the length isnt a problem since most likely he wont be playing at 41 and 42.

Daice is offline   Reply With Quote