HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THN.com Top 10: Worst UFA contracts

Old
07-10-2009, 09:49 AM
shealy04

vCash: 500
Bad list.

Cammy does not belong on that list. The guy scored 39 goals last year in a contract year and has two PPG seasons under his belt. You are not getting a player like that for 4 mill in the free agent market.

Wouldn't put too much thought into it, the list is really poor IMO.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Kafka

With Kovalev's contract being out of that list, I don't know what credibility it can have.

Honestly, I think Cammalleri and Gionta were given the right price. I have more problems with Gomez cap hit however, but we got it through a trade.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
5. Mike Cammalleri, LW, Montreal - five years, $30 million
He's versatile, but also small and has just two point-per-game seasons under his belt. Last season, his best as an NHLer, came alongside a superstar in Jarome Iginla. Asking Cammalleri, 27, to repeat such a performance in Montreal is too much. Here's hoping he doesn't just wilt under the pressure in the Canadiens fishbowl.
WTF?

How many first liners don't play with superstars and have PPG seasons + rank in the top 10 in goals?

Do they think most players who put up a PPG can do it by themselves? Other than Crosby, Malkin, Kovalchuk and such players, who does?

And if they think 6M$ is too much for a 2-time 30+ goal guy, 2-time PPG player in 4 full seasons, especially when your team has little offensive talent and a ton of cap space, they must think all teams should get guys to sign the most cap-friendly contract or turn them down.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:14 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by shealy04 View Post
Bad list.

Cammy does not belong on that list. The guy scored 39 goals last year in a contract year and has two PPG seasons under his belt. You are not getting a player like that for 4 mill in the free agent market.
I agree. And what gives him even more value is the fact that he's still just 27 years old! He's just at the beginning of his prime and still has room to improve, which is very rare for a UFA...

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Least we're near the top of some sort of list...

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
felixd

Agreed. Cammalleri is market value. Nothing more, nothing less.

One thing I am curious about though...is Scott Gomez now our highest paid player ever?

I think it was Theodore at 6M before...not that it matters, but still interesting.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:22 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Gionta was a FREE agent, EVERY free agent...whether it's a high end one or a more obscure one, gets overpaid. However, it's especially true with the higher end free agents.

I always laugh when people say team X overpaid for player Y...it's inevitable, you're competing for a player with multiple teams in a free market, of course you're going to overpay.

Gainey gets bashed for not being acting on the free agent front, the he gets bashed for being too active. Essentially, what I get from alot of Habs fans is that they want Gainey to sign all the best players, at the cheapest deals possible...yeah, that makes total sense and it's totally realistic

except Koivu who we could've had if he had been treated properly. Gainey is up against a wall when it comes to FA's, but the length of the deals will kill this team.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Darz

Meh.....one years worst UFA list could be next years UFA bargains list.

If Gionta goes out and get 30+ goals and 60+ points, I doubt he would still be on the list. Cammy goes a point a game, and all of a sudden, his deal doesn't look bad.

Gotta let them play a little hockey with their new teams, before you can really deem a move good or bad.

07-10-2009, 10:35 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

We will see how this pans out, I hope Gainey made the right choices, and until we see one way or the other, might as well just relax and see how it works out.

But I'd much rather overpay UFA's then watch them sign with other teams like every other season. I'm still surprised we got so many UFA's to sign here, especially one that scored 40 goals last year (since I can't remember what a 40 goal scorer looks like in a Hab jersey, I'm stoked to see him)

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Meh.....one years worst UFA list could be next years UFA bargains list.

If Gionta goes out and get 30+ goals and 60+ points, I doubt he would still be on the list. Cammy goes a point a game, and all of a sudden, his deal doesn't look bad.

Gotta let them play a little hockey with their new teams, before you can really deem a move good or bad.
amen.

It would have been nice to shave off a mil on each contract but such is free agency.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Gee... what about Brian Campbell... what about Vinny????

Cammy's overpayment is slight. And if he can stay at PPG and close to 40 goals, its actually an underpayment.

If one thinks Gionta is overpaid, then Kovalev is overpaid too, at the same level, as their scoring and points average is about the same in the last 5 seasons. Wanna argue over the number of seasons? Kovalev is gonna be 37 soon, while Gionta is in his late 20s....

Before last season, a guy like Marleau was seen as a huge overpayment because he didn't deliver AT ALL. Yet this season he did and no one talks of him as overpaid anymore... get where I'm going here? It's the kind of turnaround that many of these present UFAs can offer. Will Gabby and Havlat be overpayments if they don't get injured and rack up points? Will Cammy and Gionta be overpayments if they can rack up points and repeat their best seasons? Isn't it obvious that this analysis is incomplete and way too premature. But I guess, as usual, THN has their best crystal ball on the job.

One more know-it-all-I'm-better-than-most-GMs-out-there making a stupid article. I can understand for Gabby and Havlat, as they are injury prone and should've taken way shorter contracts, or lesser cap hit. Khabibulyn, not so sure, he had a great season this year and seems back to form, and this present contract is way less an overpayment than the last contract he had. But Chicago paid for the guy who got Tampa a Stanley cup. There's always reasoning behind such signings.

Now what about Brad Richards? If Gionta and Cammy and Gomez are overpayments, then Richards is too.

What about Finger? Does this writer have a very short term memory, or a bias towards the Leafs? I still count him as in the top 5 overpayments.

What about Hammer? Somewhat of an overpayment.

What about Pronger signing for 5 mil per till he's 42 friggin years old????

What about Brière?????

What about friggin Jose Theodore???

Well, you know, the article is concentrated on the PRESENT overpayments of this year's signings, but wouldn't a proper analysis compare it to the previous signings... as many of the contracts mentioned are not as worst as some others we've seen in recent years.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 07-10-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
except Koivu who we could've had if he had been treated properly. Gainey is up against a wall when it comes to FA's, but the length of the deals will kill this team.
Koivu's making exactly what he should be making, even slightly more IMO...and he also wasn't mistreated.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Kafka

Quote:
I doubt it. Inflation is at the door and money will rapidly lose its value starting in 2010. Therefore, even if the NHL isn't selling more tickets, the cap will go up because of $ devaluation.

Therefore, those contracts given to players in their prime won't hurt the team IMO. Next year, Price, Lapierre, Halak, S.Kostitsyn and O'Byrne will be looking for a new contract. That's the only moment were I think it will be though for our GM, but after that, there will be no problem IMO.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
WTF?

How many first liners don't play with superstars and have PPG seasons + rank in the top 10 in goals?

Do they think most players who put up a PPG can do it by themselves? Other than Crosby, Malkin, Kovalchuk and such players, who does?

And if they think 6M$ is too much for a 2-time 30+ goal guy, 2-time PPG player in 4 full seasons, especially when your team has little offensive talent and a ton of cap space, they must think all teams should get guys to sign the most cap-friendly contract or turn them down.
He's using the same non-sensical line of thought as when Savard was signed with the Bs. And we all saw the results. It's the usual THN use-the-argument-that-suits-you-not-the-one-thats-logical, or else he would've mentioned Cammy's PPG season in LA where he didn't have Iginla and was more productive than the other players on the team.

Old
07-10-2009, 10:42 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Komisarek is #9 and both Cammalleri and Gionta are in the top 5! - LOL

http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/NHL/C...e&pagenumber=1
It's just a list based on the opinion(s) of some so called experts who think they know all there is to know about the game . I suspect that this list will look very different when the 09/10 season comes to an end .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Habs

These lists would best be made after 82 games, but thats just common sense.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:47 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Koivu's making exactly what he should be making, even slightly more IMO...and he also wasn't mistreated.

IMO, not offereing a contract to the heart & soul captain of your team for the last 10 years is mistreatment.

While, I am not the biggest Koivu fan, we lost more with him, then any combinations of FA's will bring here.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:52 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Cant wait to see Gionta and Cammy score 30 goals for us

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Kencaid

the cammy signing was just a slight overpayment, but a good one for a team that was basically replacing your entire top-6. And the person who pointed out that the leafs ufa's seemed just to be thrown in is 100% bang on. Komi is overpayed, but not by a ton (habs offered 4M which is a good signing) but the Orr signing is fairly standard for a big enforcer in the NHL. If this reporter had any brains he would have put Donald Brashear ahead of orr, as that contract was over 1M a year for basically the same roll on the rangers.

Gionta on the other hand is big overpayment. 5M a year for a 60pt player?? Antropov put up similar points, is almost a foot taller, and received 1M less. If gionta can rekindle his offensive touch with gomez then it will be a good signing, but if he maintains a steady 60pt production than it is major overpayment. And yes i also feel Kovy was overpaid as well, most UFA's are in this day and age.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
I doubt it. Inflation is at the door and money will rapidly lose its value starting in 2010. Therefore, even if the NHL isn't selling more tickets, the cap will go up because of $ devaluation.

Therefore, those contracts given to players in their prime won't hurt the team IMO. Next year, Price, Lapierre, Halak, S.Kostitsyn and O'Byrne will be looking for a new contract. That's the only moment were I think it will be though for our GM, but after that, there will be no problem IMO.
Totally agree, a rare occurence.

Next summer will be the only time when we might be in some cap trouble, but it won't be big.

The cap might still go up next season, and IMO the bleakest outcome would be for the cap to stay put as they will use the escrow accounts to do the salary rollback because contracts are garanteed and the league can't do another rollback. The only logical solution is to ramp up the escrow %. People being alarmists about the cap going down are clueless as to the way this league works and how the new CBA was meant to work.

Isn't the escrow accounts used to either give money to the players or the league depending on whether the player's salaries are over or under the 57% mark of total revenues??? Players will NEVER agree to the cap going down. You can bet your house on that.

If we can manage to sign Price at 4 mil for several seasons, we would be close to this year's cap, next year. We might end-up needing to trade someone like Gill to replace him by OB full-time. That's the most likeliest outcome IMO.

Old
07-10-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
IMO, not offereing a contract to the heart & soul captain of your team for the last 10 years is mistreatment.

While, I am not the biggest Koivu fan, we lost more with him, then any combinations of FA's will bring here.
wow

I'll respectfully disagree with that, but I know alot of people feel like you do...we'll have to see how it plays out. I think that at this time next year, while Saku Koivu will always be remembered fondly by most Habs fans, we'll have all moved on by then

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:57 AM
flappuck

They kinda lose credibility when they talk about Orr's point production or say that Gionta is 34 years old...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencaid View Post
Gionta on the other hand is big overpayment. 5M a year for a 60pt player?? Antropov put up similar points, is almost a foot taller, and received 1M less. If gionta can rekindle his offensive touch with gomez then it will be a good signing, but if he maintains a steady 60pt production than it is major overpayment. And yes i also feel Kovy was overpaid as well, most UFA's are in this day and age.
In fairness, Antropov has a history of injuries, never had a 48-goal season, and has no Stanley Cup.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
They kinda lose credibility when they talk about Orr's point production or say that Gionta is 34 years old...
And when they don't mention Kovalev either, who had 5 points more than Gionta last season, and who is ACTUALLY old.

Old
07-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
In fairness, Antropov has a history of injuries, never had a 48-goal season, and has no Stanley Cup.
And doesn't play as feisty and as well defensively as Gionta. The work ethic isn't the same either.